Sign in to follow this  
duke63

Resurrect the Super League

Not making any excuses for today’s woeful performance but it’s not just us getting annihilated by the top six big clubs. Watford last week and Brighton 3-0 at Home to Citeh and not even half time. 

let them go and play their fantasy football and let everyone else go back to football as a competitive sport. 

Edited by duke63
Done

5 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Not making any excuses for today’s woeful performance but it’s not just us getting annihilated by the top six big clubs. Watford last week and Brighton 3-0 at Home to Citeh and not even half time. 

let them go and play their fantasy football and let everyone else go back to football as a competitive sport. 

Yep 👍

Ain’t gonna happen.

So, what we need to do is get some steel like we had under Lambert and get in peoples faces instead of rolling over for them to stamp all over us. 

It’s not just the big 6 we can’t compete with at this level is it? So far behind the likes of Brighton, Burnley, Southampton it’s sad

17 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Or ban is from the premiership until we can come up and actually give these teams a bit of a fight 

Or at least make the competition fairer.

As well a tremendous squad of players today Chelsea have another 20 out on loan. The loan system is corrupt, no longer doing what it was intended for, helping lower clubs, but just making the team who buy up all the possible talented youngsters available and then getting other clubs to develop them.

The poor get poorer and the rich get richer. And talented young players are left to be shunted between clubs in a hope they will become superstars, and make their parent clubs a fortune.

• Like 1

I’ve always been a fan of, and that includes us because we poach young players too, of their being a minimum fee to snag a young academy player from another. Set a minimum tribunal fee of £2m-£3m and hopefully that will at least stop the bigger clubs clearing up and it gives the lower league teams say Southend who we took a player from, a sizeable amount of money to help with their infrastructure, debt, whatever it may be.

The likes of Man City, Chelsea make a mockery of the academy system. Not saying it makes a difference bit the further down the football pyramid we go it will help a great deal. 

13 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Or ban is from the premiership until we can come up and actually give these teams a bit of a fight 

Care to just enlighten me how you’d do that? 

For a few years the EPL looked like the gap was closing between the super clubs and the rest, we (Leicester) won the title, and Watford had beaten Liverpool.

Now I think a gap is growing again, but its Chelsea, Liverpool, and Manchester City.  Not all of the super clubs.  I think primarily this is down to their current world class managers not just the expenditure.  Chelsea under Lampard were performing quite differently and it was largely the same team as is now.

The reason I am replying here, is ironically I agree with the OP, I remember wanting them all to go to their super league and we have a more competitive EPL.  Would have been a huge loss of money no doubt, but I think the game would have got better.

• Like 1

Chelsea, Man City and probably Newcastle now are football clubs in name only. Ultimately they are very rich men’s playthings and ego boosters but also a massive financial business. I’ve been to Chelsea today and the whole place is geared to be a worldwide entertainment BUSINESS. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Care to just enlighten me how you’d do that? 

Sure thing, I will happily run some Ideas by you. I take it since you personally need enlightening, you can make this happen? 

Interesting to see if Newcastle join the big boys, how the smaller rich clubs cope.  Eventually Spurs and Arsenal may not be able to compete for a Champions League place.  How long will their attendances hold up playing for sixth every year?  Will the owners of those clubs sell up with no glory to chase?

We can’t compete at the moment - even a rich owner isn’t going to make a club competitive in the Premier League now - it would take a Bill Gates fortune.  

• Like 1

Just now, Dr Greenthumb said:

Sure thing, I will happily run some Ideas by you. I take it since you personally need enlightening, you can make this happen? 

Or you could try not speaking in riddles?

I’m wondering how you might measure whether or not we’d give these sides ‘a fight’, other than retrospectively…given we won the Championship well ahead of both Watford and Brentford.  Or are you just talking rubbish?

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Or you could try not speaking in riddles?

I’m wondering how you might measure whether or not we’d give these sides ‘a fight’, other than retrospectively…given we won the Championship well ahead of both Watford and Brentford.  Or are you just talking rubbish?

Hardly a riddle. 

Norwich make a pathetic attempt each time they are in the premiership. There comes a point where the parachute payments reward should stop helping obtain premiership status.

How are them two teams doing that you mentioned? How did the last two do that came up behind us?