Sign in to follow this  
Hoolahoop14

Josh Sargent

The new Ricky Van Wolfswinkel?

Big money signing, works hard, comes across as a likeable chap, but absolutely bloódy useless at football.

He has the worst first touch of anyone I can remember seeing in a Norwich shirt. He can’t score, he’s not agile, he’s not quick, he has no aerial presence. What on earth was Webber thinking with this one?

10 million quid....

Edited by Hoolahoop14

His first touch is a problem if we are playing him as we currently are. When he first played as a wide man of a 3, it seemed to suit him better and his touch and control were less exposed.

Very limited service to be fair to the lad, play three behind him with Tzolis, Cantwell/Gilmour/Dowell, Rashica behind him and I’m sure he’ll look a different player!

Got no hope of keeping the ball with him near the pitch. Has never scored goals wherever he’s gone.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

He reminds me more of Camjam- misses sitters, grafts hard and has excellent work ethic 

At least Jerome was a strong bloke, and you’d have a fair amount of faith that he’d score when given an opportunity.

Sargent hasn’t won any duels that I’ve seen, and I honestly don’t think he’ll score this season.

I said this in another thread but I don’t think Sargent is Championship level yet in all honesty. Yes he’s young and we can only hope he’ll learn the English game and get himself up to speed, but I’d be amazed if he comes good for us. Can’t see anything but a massive loss being made on him.

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Would Hugill have really done any less?

£27m on him , Rasica and Tozlis   😕

And to then change the formation to zero wingers. 

Headless chicken springs to mind.

In any type of business in recruitment, you would think that if you look at what a person has done in the past, that will give you a good indication  what they will done in the future!

I rest my case!

2 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

Headless chicken springs to mind.

In any type of business in recruitment, you would think that if you look at what a person has done in the past, that will give you a good indication  what they will done in the future!

I rest my case!

Didnt learn the above lesson from Drmic

Give the guy a break - he is still learning the game and we paid for his potential more than his total readiness for the PL . I get that some of you can't resist scapegoating players, but it's unfair to single any of them out - the whole team are rubbbish at the moment. I'm pretty sure he will prove you all wrong as he - and the team - get to grips with this league.

• Like 3

Try hard not to criticize him too much but he's not at the level. Possibility to progress over a few seasons but imagine an injury to Pukki - I doubt he'd hit five over a full season as our number nine. Huge amount of money on someone who is not remotely ready.  Works hard sure but absolutely a headless chicken.

Love the fact that as he's American he gets an easy ride from a lot of our support - if he were French wed be talking about him in the Brellier / Naismith category!!

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Give the guy a break - he is still learning the game and we paid for his potential more than his total readiness for the PL . I get that some of you can't resist scapegoating players, but it's unfair to single any of them out - the whole team are rubbbish at the moment. I'm pretty sure he will prove you all wrong as he - and the team - get to grips with this league.

I see what you’re saying but we don’t have the luxury of time to allow them to get to grips with the league. As a punt he’s not working out. And the Idah question is baffling. 

1 minute ago, Canario said:

Try hard not to criticize him too much but he's not at the level. Possibility to progress over a few seasons but imagine an injury to Pukki - I doubt he'd hit five over a full season as our number nine. Huge amount of money on someone who is not remotely ready.  Works hard sure but absolutely a headless chicken.

Love the fact that as he's American he gets an easy ride from a lot of our support - if he were French wed be talking about him in the Brellier / Naismith category!!

Naismith actually scored though…

I did a thread before we signed him saying that he looked one footed, slow and technically limited, got crucified for it. 

Where were you all then? Or are you all being captain hindsight. 

• Like 1

He's more of an expensive Johan Elmander. RVW couldn't really play football but could find space and if given enough chances in a weaker league would score a few, but aside from that was semi-pro level in every other aspect of his game. Sargent for all his faults can at least put himself about a bit, control a football, pass to a team mate and win some headers. He's somewhat useful despite his price tag whereas RVW was a complete waste of space and playing him was like playing with 10 men. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I did a thread before we signed him saying that he looked one footed, slow and technically limited, got crucified for it. 

Where were you all then? Or are you all being captain hindsight. 

Alright Captain I Told You So 

For me the sad thing was that last week he got the ball almost right in front of goal and I had no real belief that he was going to score.

He could probably do with a loan so that he can develop a bit more. He’s young enough to come good but I don’t think that he can be learning the basics, like improving his first touch, in a premier league side.

• Like 1