Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Williams for Giannoulis - wtf!!

Why, just why? 
Doesn’t affect the formation and Dimi was arguably our best player in the first half. 
This substitution did nothing, pointless, a waste. 
can understand Rachika for PLM, but this one had me baffled. 

Dimi was dropped previously for defensive mistakes. He once again made the same mistake for James' goal. Poor defending, poor awareness. This is Farke making it clear to Dimi that this is not an acceptable level and that he clearly needs a second opportunity out of the team to learn this lesson. He probably sees Williams as more defensively sound and personally I agree

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

15 minutes ago, NWC said:

Why, just why? 
Doesn’t affect the formation and Dimi was arguably our best player in the first half. 
This substitution did nothing, pointless, a waste. 
can understand Rachika for PLM, but this one had me baffled. 

I know the whole team were poor today, but how you can claim Dimi was our best player in the first half is beyond me.

4 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Dimi was dropped previously for defensive mistakes. He once again made the same mistake for James' goal. Poor defending, poor awareness. This is Farke making it clear to Dimi that this is not an acceptable level and that he clearly needs a second opportunity out of the team to learn this lesson. He probably sees Williams as more defensively sound and personally I agree

So how does Kenny keep getting a match? 

It's nonsense though. Giannoulis is being exposed by the midfield. He needs a second player out there to support him. Farke needs to take responsibility for the failings of his system rather than pinning it on the individual players trying to perform the impossible.

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

So how does Kenny keep getting a match? 

Left footed so provides balance to a midfield three, the way Gibo is supposed to at the back. Good header (allegedly). I think thats why Farke keeps picking him.

Im not sure what else he brings though really. Has also made individual mistakes, getting knocked off the ball too easily and conceding possession which led to a goal I can think of at least twice

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Left footed so provides balance to a midfield three, the way Gibo is supposed to at the back. Good header (allegedly). I think thats why Farke keeps picking him.

Im not sure what else he brings though really. Has also made individual mistakes, getting knocked off the ball too easily and conceding possession which led to a goal I can think of at least twice

Burnley didn't think he was good enough at this level. Looks like they were right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Petriix said:

It's nonsense though. Giannoulis is being exposed by the midfield. He needs a second player out there to support him. Farke needs to take responsibility for the failings of his system rather than pinning it on the individual players trying to perform the impossible.

He does have a second player - Gibson. In this system Dimi and Max both have licence to go forward and provide our width because they have Gibson and Kabak providing cover behind them, unlike when they try in a back 4 which just leaves a massive hole in our defence.

Dimi can blame noone else but himself for the James goal. James is behind him, he isnt aware of him, doesnt track the run and James gets in and scores. Its not good enough. At any level, its basic defending

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Burnley didn't think he was good enough at this level. Looks like they were right.

Id hardly say he ever tore up the Championship either. Yet Farke keeps on picking him. He also sees Idah as a first team player, which is debatable

Fair enough, it’s definitely working. 

I get that Williams is more defencive than Giannoulis. I don't understand why at 3-0 (I think) down you'd want to become more defensive. If anything, you want to go all out attack. It's this kind of decision making which baffles me. 

Normann was in no mans land (aptly named) countless times and PLM was a outmuscled everytime. Any player apart from Krul could have been binned off at anytime in that performance it was that poor.

• Like 1

Just now, NFN FC said:

I get that Williams is more defencive than Giannoulis. I don't understand why at 3-0 (I think) down you'd want to become more defensive. If anything, you want to go all out attack. It's this kind of decision making which baffles me. 

Because we're 3-0 at half time to the champions of europe, having not had a sniff of goal and having only scored 2 goals all season.

He wants to try to stop us getting a morale sapping hiding after two respectable clean sheets (obviously didnt work).

We might have achieved the record if we'd gone all out attack. At halftime the game is gone. Other things to consider

2 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Because we're 3-0 at half time to the champions of europe, having not had a sniff of goal and having only scored 2 goals all season.

He wants to try to stop us getting a morale sapping hiding after two respectable clean sheets (obviously didnt work).

We might have achieved the record if we'd gone all out attack. At halftime the game is gone. Other things to consider

At 3-0 you are already at the point of morale sapping. 

Should've gone for the guns blazing yolo approach in my opinion

6 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

It worked then didn’t it? On hang on we got spanked anyway!

13 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Normann was in no mans land (aptly named) countless times and PLM was a outmuscled everytime. Any player apart from Krul could have been binned off at anytime in that performance it was that poor.

Yep, no idea what position Normann was taking up but didn't get close to a Chelsea midfielder all game. PLM struggled but at least he got close to them every now and again.

Gianoullis was awful but he was also left exposed because not for the first time this season McLean didn't do a good job of slotting in and helping quickly enough either to defend or to offer the simple square pass.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Williams has been responsible for some of the goals we have conceded. Here we have Farke doing his usual singling out act and will probably fall out with the lad. If he doesn’t know his best left back by now, there’s problems.

Stops the loan manager at Man Utd moaning about a lack of game time. That's the only logical conclusion that I can come to for the substitution. 

Dimi was beaten for strength & pace every time by James (a player I rate, & I've had a soft spot for since he destroyed Leeds single handed when on loan at 9-man Wigan). Williams is at least a bit stronger (though not as good as he thinks he is).

Chelsea have fitter, quicker, stronger, more athletic, more tactically aware players in every position, & today they were all up for it.

We move on ...

Edited by ron obvious

Agree Dimi was run ragged by James bit I disagree with Williams being a better option. I don't think he's any better defensively, he gets caught out of position more and offers less going forward. I feel sorry for Dimi to be honest, he was up against one of their best players today and in that half gave more than anyone else in front of him did. I think in the 343 he would have offered more than Williams and that's without the benefit of hindsight even though it wouldn't have made a difference. 

I'm confused by Farke's use and treatment of his fullbacks this year. When they get the ball nobody offers them a passing option so they have no choice but to run into blind alleyways (see Aarons screaming MOVE! at a team mate last week in frustration), they don't get much cover from midfield, they are our only counter attacking option but have to get through too much defensive work, when they do get close to the opposition box nobody shows for a pass so they have to cross to nobody in the box and when things have gotten tough the left back has been made a bit of a scapegoat.