chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Chelsea (A/PL) ****

Early Kick off for this one folks - 12:30 GMT at Stamford Bridge. It is being televised on BT Sport for those who have it or who have friends/family you can join or hijack their TV for.
May be an image of map and text that says "GLOBAL KICK-OFF Toronto 07:30 Helsinki 14:30 Norwich 12:30 CHELSEA VNORWICHCITY Berlin 13:30 Tampa Bay 07:30 Los Angeles 04:30 Beijing 19:30 Skopje 13:30 Abu Dhabi 15:30 Rio De Janeiro 08:30 Seoul 20:30 Hong Kong 19:30 Bangkok 18:30 Nairobi 14:30 TAMPA BAY FLORIDA Buenos Aires 08:30 Sydney 22:30"

As is the norm, the pinkUn has it's presser report and a few separate pieces focusing on some of the news from that on their front page. It sounds to me like poor old Zimmermann is still suffering from that horrific tackle he was on the end of playing West Ham two seasons ago. The BBC also have their pre-match sum up but you'll have to ignore "Lawro's Prediction" if you want to remain positive! 

For those of you wanting to get into a more positive frame of mind than our old friend Lawro, the club has put together a video of goals our boys in yellow and green have scored in the past.

As is now part of our weekly routine of enjoyment you can also go and join in with Rays Funds for the CSF with the PUPs Season 15 Week 11 and help to raise money for a very, very good cause.

Interesting little piece of knowledge - there are no football clubs located in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Stamford Bridge is actually located in Fulham. Something fans of QPR and Fulham will often remind their Chelsea counterparts.

EDIT: Possible piece of insight - apparently, last night, Tzolis switched himself into his own fantasy football team. The last time he did this was Vs Arsenal when he started. As you can imagine, some fans on social media have latched onto this. As a result, there is some belief that he might be starting today.

Edit 2: Team

Edited by chicken
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

With Cantwell and Gilmour not options I can understand the team choice. Would like to see some more pace in the second half though. 

I kind of get it today but I think the lack of pace to play on the counter is short sighted. We will be camped in our own half 

Just now, Jim Smith said:

I kind of get it today but I think the lack of pace to play on the counter is short sighted. We will be camped in our own half 

Sargent is not slow... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I mean we are playing away to the champions of Europe, so 11 at the back with 20 percent possestion is most likely the tactic regardless that Chelsea are rotating.

Needs the out ball, so Sargent is definitely the right shout. Chelsea can attack with width and Chilwell's scored recently so we need to be careful there, but at the same time Havertz is playing up top and he shouldn't be winning much in the air against our back three.

Same principle as against Brighton - keep it tight early on, frustrate them a bit then build into it. If we're still in the running and they're pushing on, then throw the pace on as a counter-attack. I really want to see Tzolis and Giannoulis together for a spell.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

He really is

Nah, you don't get the chance he spurned last week when he pressured the goalie if he's slow. Got a decent top speed on him. Might be fairer to say his acceleration isn't great though.

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:
2 minutes ago, chicken said:

Sargent is not slow... 

He really is

He really isn't slow. He has strength and deceptive pace and has a good football brain.  Not seen the best of him yet, but he is getting better each time he plays, putting himself about without getting clear cut chances at Burnley and then doing the same last week AND getting clear cut chances.  Next stage will be putting one of those away.  He is going to be class. 

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Needs the out ball, so Sargent is definitely the right shout. Chelsea can attack with width and Chilwell's scored recently so we need to be careful there, but at the same time Havertz is playing up top and he shouldn't be winning much in the air against our back three.

Same principle as against Brighton - keep it tight early on, frustrate them a bit then build into it. If we're still in the running and they're pushing on, then throw the pace on as a counter-attack. I really want to see Tzolis and Giannoulis together for a spell.

Bit worried they are not actually playing with any  orthodox strikers. We don’t always deal well with forwards who drop deep and run at us so we will need to watch that.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

He really isn't slow. He has strength and deceptive pace and has a good football brain.  Not seen the best of him yet, but he is getting better each time he plays, putting himself about without getting clear cut chances at Burnley and then doing the same last week AND getting clear cut chances.  Next stage will be putting one of those away.  He is going to be class. 

Let’s hope today is the day. I strangely fancy us to pinch something today. 

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I agree with you. I think Sargent is coming good - I'm more worried about Pukki. There - said it now!

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Nah, you don't get the chance he spurned last week when he pressured the goalie if he's slow. Got a decent top speed on him. Might be fairer to say his acceleration isn't great though.

He's got a lot of qualities, but pace is 100% not one of them. I get his inclusion in the team, I actually think he'd make a better midfielder than striker with his attributes, but anyone thinking he has pace hasn't watched him closely enough. He is continually outpaced and by older, slow defenders. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Bit worried they are not actually playing with any  orthodox strikers. We don’t always deal well with forwards who drop deep and run at us so we will need to watch that.

True, but usually we've only had two centre-halves when they do.

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Agreed, PLM and Normann will be crucial today in disrupting that.

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

He has such a good footballing brain he doesn’t know how to put the ball in an empty net 🤣🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

He's got a lot of qualities, but pace is 100% not one of them. I get his inclusion in the team, I actually think he'd make a better midfielder than striker with his attributes, but anyone thinking he has pace hasn't watched him closely enough. He is continually outpaced and by older, slow defenders. 

You're both kind of right. He's similar to Placheta although not as quick obviously in that he's fast without the ball so can chase down long balls and sprint onto through balls well and get all over the pitch quickly, but with the ball at his feet he looks really slow which is why he was getting out-paced by Dan Burn and Lewis Dunk last week when he was running at goal, it's more a lack of dribbling skill than athletic capability. 

We have some fast players in our team, the worry for me is that we don't really have many players who are good at running with the ball and dribbling at speed compared to other teams, especially as that's quite often how opposition teams hurt us and we can't really do the same back. 

Just now, Christoph Stiepermann said:

You're both kind of right. He's similar to Placheta although not as quick obviously in that he's fast without the ball so can chase down long balls and sprint onto through balls well and get all over the pitch quickly, but with the ball at his feet he looks really slow which is why he was getting out-paced by Dan Burn and Lewis Dunk last week when he was running at goal, it's more a lack of dribbling skill than athletic capability. 

We have some fast players in our team, the worry for me is that we don't really have many players who are good at running with the ball and dribbling at speed compared to other teams, especially as that's quite often how opposition teams hurt us and we can't really do the same back. 

Yeah, actually I take that comment as I am probably more commenting on his pace with the ball than without it. Going to try and make more note of him without the ball and compare. 

9 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

To be fair, Burn got a last-ditcher in on Pukki as well, and Pukki isn't slow. Burn just looks ungainly when he's going at his top speed. Agree with the basic premise re. with the ball and without it though.

As for players who can dribble at pace in our ranks, that's mainly Tzolis and Rashica.

Edited by TheGunnShow

I just worry that we will be so deep that there won't be an out ball. And I don't see us being able to counter attack. Who is going to lead us out from the back?

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

I just worry that we will be so deep that there won't be an out ball. And I don't see us being able to counter attack. Who is going to lead us out from the back?

Kabak and/or Normann on a turnover would be my guess, and Sargent's definitely the out ball.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It will be the ball over the top either from the CHs or Normann. Quickly turning the Chelsea defence is the only option. Trying to play out against that Chelsea press will be suicidal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The idea is to hit it to Sargent as our out-ball, then Chelsea have a choice, they either leave him in acres of space like Brighton did and we can have some joy by giving him the ball, or they drop back a bit which makes them less effective in their pressing game and will allow us to play out a bit. This is why Sargent has to play in this system and if we wanted to start Rashica or Tzolis it would have to be in place of Pukki and Farke it seems isn't willing to do that right now. 

I suppose the counter attacking plan is Gianoulis and Aarons, but we won't get as much joy from that as we would if we could use a pacy attacking player as they will have to get through a lot of defensive work.