Sign in to follow this  
Thumbbass

Roads

Has Norwich ever been more snarled up with roadworks than it is currently? Journey times through the city are 2/3/4x what they should be and all of the works seem to offer very little benefit. 

The fact that they have closed Riverside Road to add permeable paving next to a river where the soil is likely to be highly saturated anyway just stinks of a council that have too much money left in their budget.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its just as bad down here in Cornwall. Everyone seems to be on the road at the same time. It doesn't matter how many roads you have, there are never enough.

The Grapes Hill roundabout (Improvements)🤪  will turn out to be another expensive disaster.

• Thanks 1

We have enormous puddles in the same places every time it rains. This has been going on since last year, yet they have been doing the pavement down the road from the worst one. It doesn't make sense. 

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

The Grapes Hill roundabout (Improvements)🤪  will turn out to be another expensive disaster.

But you will save 65 seconds on your journey time 🙄

On 22/10/2021 at 19:48, The Raptor said:

Roads? Where I'm going I don't need roads

Dark. Unless you're going to live on a narrow boat.

On 22/10/2021 at 19:48, The Raptor said:

Roads? Where I'm going I don't need roads

Is that because there is an train track that ends abruptly at an unbridged gorge instead ?

• Haha 1

So, they've shut Riverside road again. For the first time since they shut it last time around I've used the new 'permeable' path. Imagine if you gave some 9 year olds 50 tonnes of tarmac and told them to fill a hole. It's a disgrace, it's so bad I do wonder if it's even finished, I haven't got a clue. God knows how much NCC have 5punked on that job just to clear out a budget.

I wonder how those trees managed to survive for hundreds of years, next to a river, without permeable paving.

For those who don't travel into the city often Riverside Road is shut in 1 direction and will cause issues on matchdays for a while.

• Thanks 1

19 million has just been wasted in Cornwall on cycle paths that may alleviate a lot of holiday traffic. They went ahead without even knowing whether they had acquired the land. So its more like a dotted line than a cycle track.

our very own NCC has a big fat zero when it comes to alleviating climate change, and the money that is currently spent on St. Stephens, improving/modernising/spending money that should have leveled up the north, on bus stops for diesel buses in Norwich, is just as a lick of paint on a rotten shed.

Add to that the use of public roads as builders yards and you have Norwich today. WHERE ARE THE ELECTRIC BUSES? despite not having the expertise to plan for trams or other forms of public transport, NCC is nevertheless able to remodel and spent millions on an empty county hall. Sensitive 'living walls' with moss pillows are just the right thing for cllr's to wipe their s....y a....s after a meeting.

Meanwhile our care system is falling apart, , we have record child poverty in the country and old Victorian care homes are in need or urgent repairs.

On 01/02/2022 at 17:56, keelansgrandad said:

19 million has just been wasted in Cornwall on cycle paths that may alleviate a lot of holiday traffic. They went ahead without even knowing whether they had acquired the land. So its more like a dotted line than a cycle track.

That's the problem. I'm not sure how cycle paths are decided upon but I've never been able to use them, and believe me I'd much rather use them than dice with death with Nissan Navara man or BMW XBoll0k mum. They need to be provisioned with every new footpath and resurface not cobbled in in the odd place they fit. On my route to the station there's a section of cycle path about 200m long, 2 junctions in it and I know I'll need to stop at the end to get onto the road, so I just use the road, it's a total waste of money that's just used by people walking their dogs. The Riverside path resurfacing project would have been the ideal opportunity to add a cycle path, it's a narrow busy road and at peak times bikes do hold up traffic. 

2 hours ago, Thumbbass said:

That's the problem. I'm not sure how cycle paths are decided upon but I've never been able to use them, and believe me I'd much rather use them than dice with death with Nissan Navara man or BMW XBoll0k mum. They need to be provisioned with every new footpath and resurface not cobbled in in the odd place they fit. On my route to the station there's a section of cycle path about 200m long, 2 junctions in it and I know I'll need to stop at the end to get onto the road, so I just use the road, it's a total waste of money that's just used by people walking their dogs. The Riverside path resurfacing project would have been the ideal opportunity to add a cycle path, it's a narrow busy road and at peak times bikes do hold up traffic. 

We have one in Redruth that just keeps ending and then beginning again and also Buses are allowed in it and cars at rush hour.

And they wonder why so many people actually cycle on the path.

Going back to my original post. The answer is, I see your Oct 21 and raise you July 23. The month NCC decided roads in and out of the city are no longer necessary and are systematically closing them all. 

For anyone travelling into the city for the friendly at the end of the month, there are planned works on the lights directly outside the stadium that weekend. Generally check your route before you come anywhere near the city.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Thumbbass said:

Going back to my original post. The answer is, I see your Oct 21 and raise you July 23. The month NCC decided roads in and out of the city are no longer necessary and are systematically closing them all. 

For anyone travelling into the city for the friendly at the end of the month, there are planned works on the lights directly outside the stadium that weekend. Generally check your route before you come anywhere near the city.

It’s the 15 minute city I tell you, a lefty conspiracy to make life more pleasant, reduce air pollution and reduce road injuries and deaths. Awful.