Sign in to follow this  
urdie_Canary

All this Aarons talk...

All the hype of late in the media with the change of agent etc. Is it just me or is he massively overrated?

In the championship, yes he's superb and a huge attacking threat, but that's because he can beat anyone for pace in that league, his delivery is still dreadful.

I watch him week in week out and I think he can do so much more, I cant remember the last time he beat the full back and got in a dangerous ball which created a chance, in the premier league he seems to shrink, cant beat anyone for pace and gets caught out. Another who is too good for the champ but not good enough for the prem, I mean if we get 30mil plus for him that will be the deal of the century personally.

I've never really understood the hype. 

I think you're being harsh. Yes he's not as effective in the Premier League as he is the Championship but then who is? He's still young and a very good full back in this league.

That said, I'm not sure we would miss him a huge amount what with Bali Mumba looking like a very good prospect with arguably a little bit more pace than Aarons from what we've seen and if a £30 million off did come in, I think we could replace him with what we have already, reinvest elsewhere in the team and come out of the deal in a more favourable position.

I think he has been relatively poor this season, lacking in confidence and fight and surprised he has avoided any criticism.

Having said that I thought last Saturday was his best game, mainly as in the 2nd half Kabak did an excellent job of covering him and allowing him to push up. He's far more effective on the front foot and pushing the winger back then defending (hence why he looks SO much more impressive for us in Championship compared to premier league).

I see quite a lot of Max's play from where we sit (for one half at least). My only criticism of him is that he gets caught under the ball defending crosses far too often. It's not even a height thing, he just doesn't seem to position himself well enough - or is perhaps bullied into not doing so - its a reason the 3 CBs make much more sense for us. Otherwise he is very reliable and capable at PL level.

I do agree with the above though, Bali Mumba looks very good and if someone came knocking with £25-30m for Max we'd take it and I don't think the team would necessarily suffer - other than in depth of squad. I don't want him to go though - I'd love things to settle now for the rest of the season. 

I think the fact teams have specifically targeted our left side for the past season or so, speaks dividends for Aarons. However, I do agree he's not really played his best in recent times. He seems to have become a bit of an Adam Drury, always putting in 6/10 performances with little fluctuation.

Whereas at left back Giannoulis was immense versus Liverpool but awful versus City, similarly Williams was immense versus Arsenal but then awful versus Leicester and Watford (IMO). Aarons just doesn't get noticed in the same way, which is both good and bad I guess.

He seemed to show the most for us in his breakthrough season in 2018/19, but that was when we playing kamikaze you-score-3-we'll-score-4 attacking football, which probably suited him better. Now he is being asked to be a bit more mindful with timing his runs forwards and this second guessing has probably dented his attacking confidence (whilst ensuring we are more solid at the back). 

One thing that does irk me sometimes with him is seeing him amble back with no urgency when he's caught up the pitch totally out of position, he has done this several times and it cost us a goal versus Liverpool in the first game of the season. I don't care how far away from the play you are, when you're a defender caught up the pitch you simply have to sprint back!

He gets forward less lately because that's what he's been asked to do in order to shore up the defense. Two clean sheets in the last two games suggests that it's had the desired effect. We also played with actual wingers in a few games, so there was less opportunity for him to make attacking runs. 

Hopefully we can find a balance though, we really need to start scoring goals, and Aarons getting forward a bit more could help with that. 

I think that he's very similar to Godfrey in that his best qualities will suit teams playing on the front foot and generally dominating the ball, rather than a team fighting relegation. I imagine he moves to a bigger club in the next 6/12 months and shines.

It's interesting that much of the rumoured interest in Aarons has appeared to be from abroad, which makes me wonder if he has progressed to the extend that would make bigger Prem clubs take notice.

As a previous poster said, from what I have seen this season, he appears to have settled into 6/7 out of 10 performer - he looks at place at this level and doesn't make errors, but is he setting the world alight?

Will be interesting to see what happens to him if we do change formation - I've often thought Aarons could be effective as a winger or at least a bit further forward.

I agree with Thumb in the sense that he is generally good defensively - most of the goals that we have conceded have come down our left hand side. 

Whilst he does look better in the Championship, his attacking stats weren't that great considering his reputation... just 2 goals and 3 assists.

I get that we don't cross the ball (/Pukki can't header the ball) but he'll need to up those numbers if bigger clubs are going to be convinced he's worth shelling out for. 

I think he is a good player. If he goes to someone who doesn't defend 90 mins every week I think youll see a different monster unleashed. Not so long ago when he made his breakthrough, nearly everyone was jizzing saying he's worth at least 30m, now he's over rated 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Segura said:

It's interesting that much of the rumoured interest in Aarons has appeared to be from abroad, which makes me wonder if he has progressed to the extend that would make bigger Prem clubs take notice.

As a previous poster said, from what I have seen this season, he appears to have settled into 6/7 out of 10 performer - he looks at place at this level and doesn't make errors, but is he setting the world alight?

Will be interesting to see what happens to him if we do change formation - I've often thought Aarons could be effective as a winger or at least a bit further forward.

The larger issue with teams in England is who needs an expensive right back?

Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U all have youngish, long term answers at the question.

Spurs just spend £23m on Emerson Royal for the position, Man City use Walker and Cancelo there but may have a need for a younger option? Arsenal are the only one that really stands out as they are currently playing a converted central defender in that role. Newcastle unfortunately stand out as an option if they start to pull away from relegation in that they have the budget and Javier Manquillo is pretty average.

• Like 1

Bali Mumba described as a good prospect, what can you base that impression on.  In which of the 5 appearances he has played has he impressed.  I am sure he is a good player but should have played more often.  In the event Max gets injured Williams will get the call, Mumba will struggle to get games.  

I'm glad that Rio is now his agent because without all the social media bluster and profile that comes with it I think interest in Aarons would fade away and we'd get sweet FA for him. 

At least now we can probably get around £20 million and be very happy with that. 

Max Aarons is a wonderful player.

But not surprised he changed his agent the transfer talk was frankly getting embarrassing…Barca, Dortmund etc… unbelievable. Pure Agent hype…..as because we all know to well if someone is seriously interested in one of players they go end of. The fact Aaron’s is still here is because no one is interested why that is I don’t really understand because he is a good player I think maybe people think he’s too small

38 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Max Aarons is a wonderful player.

But not surprised he changed his agent the transfer talk was frankly getting embarrassing…Barca, Dortmund etc… unbelievable. Pure Agent hype…..as because we all know to well if someone is seriously interested in one of players they go end of. The fact Aaron’s is still here is because no one is interested why that is I don’t really understand because he is a good player I think maybe people think he’s too small

That is nonsense- Aarons, Farke and various other sources confirmed the Barca interest was very real and not agent talk. 

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

That is nonsense- Aarons, Farke and various other sources confirmed the Barca interest was very real and not agent talk. 

Aarons, Club & Agent all benefit from such news.  It has absolutely no negative effect on either to not 'push it' out there a little further under everyone's noses.

I think it was genuine personally, but it's not really so shocking if it weren't - probably have to say great PR, in fact.

30 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Aarons, Club & Agent all benefit from such news.  It has absolutely no negative effect on either to not 'push it' out there a little further under everyone's noses.

I think it was genuine personally, but it's not really so shocking if it weren't - probably have to say great PR, in fact.

So you think the club, player, manager, agent etc possibly all collaborated to create a non-existent bid from one of the biggest clubs in world football and brief it to various journalists who'd print it without checking with Barca first?

Ok...

52 minutes ago, king canary said:

So you think the club, player, manager, agent etc possibly all collaborated to create a non-existent bid from one of the biggest clubs in world football and brief it to various journalists who'd print it without checking with Barca first?

I said that I think it was genuine.  But it wouldn't shock me if player, club and agent where happy to let such a story elevate out.

26 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I said that I think it was genuine.  But it wouldn't shock me if player, club and agent where happy to let such a story elevate out.

Sure I can see them being happy for it to come out. However the post I replied to was suggesting it was just agent talk, which to me means there being no actual bid and just an agent hyping up non-existent interest.

9 hours ago, urdie_Canary said:

All the hype of late in the media with the change of agent etc. Is it just me or is he massively overrated?

In the championship, yes he's superb and a huge attacking threat, but that's because he can beat anyone for pace in that league, his delivery is still dreadful.

I watch him week in week out and I think he can do so much more, I cant remember the last time he beat the full back and got in a dangerous ball which created a chance, in the premier league he seems to shrink, cant beat anyone for pace and gets caught out. Another who is too good for the champ but not good enough for the prem, I mean if we get 30mil plus for him that will be the deal of the century personally.

I've never really understood the hype. 

It’s you!!!

I can’t believe this conversation even exists. Is there any form of statistical analysis to back up your opinion, no. Why? Because it doesn’t exist. He’s our best player by every metric right now. he’s probably the only player in the squad who’s place is certain for every game. Some people.