Harry53

Todd not training? WTF is going on?

1 minute ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Ok, let’s create a scenario:

You have an employee. They come to you and explain that they’re having mental health issues, have been feeling really low and feel they need a break. Being a compassionate boss, you say, “Ok, Todd. Take a couple of weeks off, take some time for yourself and try and get yourself back on track.” 

Todd then decides to have a pleasant evening out and attend a big sporting event. Things he enjoys, things that will lift his mood.

That would be a good thing, right?

Or are you saying “If you’re well enough to go to xyz then you need to get back to work sharpish, sonny!”?

That would be appalling management of a delicate situation. 

Whilst youre trying to put words in my mouth, I would like to think id so the first scenario, but then with the caveat of suggesting (if I was the manager of someone like Todd, in the public eye)  the didn't post on the socials to draw attention to that fact he was off work, but still socially active. 

Take the scenario that its a less public eye facing role, say an office role, you have to be aware that the others in the office who may not know the full details, but could take umbridge at the fact a person is off, so their own workload has increased, and the absent person is perceived to be on a jolly. 

unfortunately, as always, footballers and the rest of societies working scenarios are different. 

4 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

You have an employee. They come to you and explain that they’re having mental health issues, have been feeling really low and feel they need a break. Being a compassionate boss, you say, “Ok, Todd. Take a couple of weeks off, take some time for yourself and try and get yourself back on track.” 

Todd then decides to have a pleasant evening out and attend a big sporting event. Things he enjoys, things that will lift his mood.

Or are you saying “If you’re well enough to go to xyz then you need to get back to work sharpish, sonny!”?

i 100 % agree with you 

But i thought he was back training after his personal problems after international break ?

of course they can come back at anytime and i hope they haven't ,

but my thought were personal 2 weeks off trained for a week not selected then trained for a few days then missed training 

so and i do not want to know or should we know what his problem is but with him saying he is not injured it is either 

Personal problems again which is fair enough and i wish him all the best wishes in the world and he should be given as much help and time as needed 

or he is falling out with farke 

or he is injured 

Farke said he was injured Todd said he is not 

Someone dies; then a fortnight later their funeral takes place (or in this ****ed up UK currently three or four weeks later)?🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

i 100 % agree with you 

But i thought he was back training after his personal problems after international break ?

of course they can come back at anytime and i hope they haven't ,

but my thought were personal 2 weeks off trained for a week not selected then trained for a few days then missed training 

so and i do not want to know or should we know what his problem is but with him saying he is not injured it is either 

Personal problems again which is fair enough and i wish him all the best wishes in the world and he should be given as much help and time as needed 

or he is falling out with farke 

or he is injured 

Farke said he was injured Todd said he is not 

Which takes us back to the OP saying this. 

image.png.fdbb8c10585c0031371642b456b3e2ee.png

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Todd like it or not is in the 'public' eye. That why he earns the wages he does.

A clear statement is needed from Todd and the Club as his absence is now more than the odd match.

No more and no less. 

And why exactly does Todd Cantwell owe you anything with regard to his private life? 

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

Someone dies; then a fortnight later their funeral takes place (or in this ****ed up UK currently three or four weeks later)?🤔

But that wouldnt be stated as personal issues, would it ? not once they had passed? 

Just now, 1902 said:

And why exactly does Todd Cantwell owe you anything with regard to his private life? 

Because he is a Norwich City footballer - paid for by the club, who we all pay into in various way, and he isnt playing. 

Whilst we dont need all the ins and out - the clubs silence is deafening. 

If it is grieving for a relative, then that is best dealt with by getting back to normal as soon as possible, as anyone who cared about you who has passed on would want you to carry on and live your life.  This has been going on for weeks now.

If it is some kind of professional reason, like him not wanting to sign a new contract and being frozen out, then again, we would have had more information, so I can only think this is a mental health issue of some kind, otherwise we would have been given more information.

Either way, it could do with clarification, as the lack of info is not helping fans to have a reasonable grasp of the situation and leading to too much speculation.

• Like 1

It's all getting very dull and tedious.

Someone from the club needs to explain what is going on and whether he is going to feature any time soon. 

If he no longer wants to play for Norwich, then tell him to p*ss off.

• Like 1

You're really upset by someone dying, so you are allowed compassionate leave.  Then you go back to work.  Then the funeral of that person means you have to take the day off work - for some unknown reason your employer decides to open up the place of work to all and sundry and your absence is noted but no-one asks the question.  🤔

I just would like to state I have absolutely no idea whether the above scenario is true, but it seems a lot more plausible explanation than anything else I've read.  As advised by people nowadays, if this is the case, the club has quite rightly decided to let them grieve in private.

Edited by shefcanary

4 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Because he is a Norwich City footballer - paid for by the club, who we all pay into in various way, and he isnt playing. 

Whilst we dont need all the ins and out - the clubs silence is deafening. 

We have a cultural and social stake in the club that means we have a right to expect it to be run with consideration, I don't believe that football is 'just a business'. However that doesn't impinge on his right to privacy as an employee.

It doesn't matter if he works for WHSmith, The department of health or for Norwich city, the only person who has a right to demand he explains his absence from work is his employer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Perhaps he’s being allowed to work from home!

Well if thats the case, hes bunked off! 

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

We have a cultural and social stake in the club that means we have a right to expect it to be run with consideration, I don't believe that football is 'just a business'. However that doesn't impinge on his right to privacy as an employee.

It doesn't matter if he works for WHSmith, The department of health or for Norwich city, the only person who has a right to demand he explains his absence from work is his employer.

Totally agree - but its not unreasonable to ask when his expected return is, is it ? 

Football is different in so many ways. 

They cannot take the adulation that we give as supporters, and expect to be able to just turn the tap off when it suits. 

No one is asking chapter and verse. but as Norfolkngood said earlier, he has leave due to personal issues, which we accepted, then he returned tho training, was maybe injured maybe not, didnt get in the matchday squad, and is not not training (today at least). I think that the fans deserve a footballing explanation. You never know, they may even offer some support.  

• Like 1

Has there been a slight change in language? A few weeks back, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Todd's absence described as 'personal circumstances'? This seems to have changed to 'personal issues', which can have entirely different meaning.

Anyways, ive posted enough on here, my boss would be after me if I had one! 

I have nothing against Todd personally, and hope he is ok, and gets any help he needs. 

I also hope the team, with or without him, perform to the best of their abilities, and get a few wins. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Has there been a slight change in language? A few weeks back, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Todd's absence described as 'personal circumstances'? This seems to have changed to 'personal issues', which can have entirely different meaning.

I used the term personal issues, but that was my own words, and not a quote. Apologies if I should have said personal circumstances. 

Im not aware of the club issuing anything since their first comment. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Totally agree - but its not unreasonable to ask when his expected return is, is it ? 

Football is different in so many ways. 

They cannot take the adulation that we give as supporters, and expect to be able to just turn the tap off when it suits. 

No one is asking chapter and verse. but as Norfolkngood said earlier, he has leave due to personal issues, which we accepted, then he returned tho training, was maybe injured maybe not, didnt get in the matchday squad, and is not not training (today at least). I think that the fans deserve a footballing explanation. You never know, they may even offer some support.  

No not at all, that's a very reasonable question. Though if also say that it would be reasonable if the club said that unfortunately it was open ended and they couldnt be sure as to when it would be resolved.

Sorry if that came across a little strong.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

If he went to London maybe he took a West End show in too. I always make a long weekend of it when visiting the capital so why shouldn’t he. 

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Bingo!

I got a full house with 'we pay his wages' 

I demand a recount - as no-one has said what you have quoted. 

OK. So the poor beggar had an Achilles problem which cleared up but he wasn't picked because he went out on a pish up because he was threatening to jump off Heartsease Towers if he didn't get his dream move to Barcelona.

However as he reached the fifth floor he pulled a calf muscle which became worse as he drove off in his car and parked it badly. He hasn't tweeted but posted on Instagram which is DF's choice for telling the media that he last saw Todd behind Kieran Dowell during training.

But his left hand is becoming a problem as he can't stop believing its a Hula Hoop.

You couldn't make it up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

Without doubt, one of our most talented players, and probably one of only a handful who is genuinely Premier League quality.  I would guess he’s probably one of the highest earners in the squad and presumably his salary is still being paid during this prolonged absence.  I doubt many, if any, of us on here really know what the truth of what’s going on with him, but it’s fair to say he’s been pretty high maintenance for as long as he’s been playing (or not) for the Club.  I suspect he sees his future elsewhere and I wonder whether DF may be digging his heels in to block any move away rather than accepting that perhaps it would be best for all concerned if he went.

Nope, not for me. Hugely overrated. Benefitted from having the likes of Buendia and Vrancic around him, and our dominant style in the championship. Has never been a player to drag the team up when needed. Yes he scored a few in the EPL last time out, but there were no scintillating displays. Very much a luxury player in the right side. Not a patch on Buendia, Hoolahan....

5 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

This thread is a quite unbelievable overreaction to what is an average squad player at this level. 

Its like teenage girl's gossipfest...

1 hour ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I mean, he might just have a tight calf and that's why he skipped this morning. 

I knew a farmer who had a tight calf 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Who says they are. The hand may well be feeding them here for all we know. 

Did you mean to quote me in that post?