Sign in to follow this  
canarycop

Where is our Rooney or Owen ?

Had a conversation with my dad last night and he asked the question. If someone is banging in goals for the u23s why don't they get the opportunity in the first team. ? I have always been of the opinion that if you are a goalscorer you will score at whatever level. Who do we have that may be our 17 year old Owen or Rooney. Interesting to read about young Matos who has just signed his first pro contract. Seems Chelsea were after him. Just got us talking and thinking ahead. Thoughts ?

I read the article about Matos, he sounds promising but then it’s in everyone’s interest to talk up the young players. Chelsea being “interested” is not proof of much, they must express an interest in thousands of young players.

But given the clubs recent track record, I think we’re fairly safe to assume that if we had a decent talent in the under 23s, they’d be at least in the first team squad. If there isn’t anyone, it’s because the club don’t believe they’re ready. 

Beacause playing a bunch of kids who the majority of who have never played a professional team in their lives is in fact quite different to playing against some of the best teams in the world.

Shocker I know.

1 hour ago, canarycop said:

Had a conversation with my dad last night and he asked the question. If someone is banging in goals for the u23s why don't they get the opportunity in the first team. ? I have always been of the opinion that if you are a goalscorer you will score at whatever level. Who do we have that may be our 17 year old Owen or Rooney. Interesting to read about young Matos who has just signed his first pro contract. Seems Chelsea were after him. Just got us talking and thinking ahead. Thoughts ?

You've obviously both forgotten about Adrian Coote.

Not forgotten about Coote at all. Wouldn't it be great though if we had someone break through a la Rooney. We have a great Academy now so surely that's the hope.