Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Bruce sacked

Should  have been sacked last season, quite dreadful manager.

£7m payoff, crikey that's some retirement present.

Was never going to survive there. Unfortunately not good news for us as this is just the first step to buying Premier League survival.

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

To be clear I don't want him managing here.

But if I was starting a season, my job depended on staying up and someone asked me 'do you want Farke or Bruce as manager' I'd take Bruce. 

Interesting, I can understand the argument, but only if you are building a squad for a manager like that. I don't feel Bruce could do better with what we have now than Farke can.

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

Interesting, I can understand the argument, but only if you are building a squad for a manager like that. I don't feel Bruce could do better with what we have now than Farke can.

I think we've got some more adaptable players than previously- I think if you'd given anyone else our 19/20 squad I'd agree- a team of diminutive playmakers where even the defenders were mostly under 6 foot.  

This season I think Bruce could make our back 4 and midfield more solid and embrace players like Rashica and Tzolis. The wider issue is we've worked hard to reshape the club with a focus on a particular style of football and firing Farke to hire Bruce might keep us up but would also undo a lot of hard work. 

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Unfortunately that’s unlikely to happen as by that point we will have wasted all our opportunities and been genuinely left behind. 

You have said this continually year after year after year Jimbo. I suppose chances are you'll be right eventually but many of your wannabe examples have been left behind long ago.

• Like 1

Bruce has been solid if unspectacular for them, 12 and 13th by any means isn't a terrible return but the new owners will be wanting much more than that now.

As for those suggesting Bruce to us, I don't see him as a step up from Farke who has proven he can learn and adapt. Think we should give Farke time to get the players going, but we do really need to see some points on the board soon. I like the fact we aren't a club like Watford who sack their manager every time they lose a game, but at the same time we need to see forward progress which so far under Farke we generally have

2 hours ago, king canary said:

You're usually a pretty smart poster but this is just demonstrable nonsense. 

The 'evidence' Bruce is generally better at keeping a club in the Premier League than Farke extends well beyond the last 8 games. He's kept several teams in the Premier League for more than one season throughout his career, something Farke hasn't. His overall Premier League record isn't brilliant but he averages around 1.1 ppg in his time as a Premier League manager, meaning on average a Bruce team in the top flight would get 41 points.

The logic that because so far his Newcastle team only have one more point than us right now means he's not more likely to keep a team up than Farke would be like saying Guardiola is not more likely to win a title than Graham Potter as they are only two points apart.

Way too simplistic I think. " An average Bruce team would get 41 points" Norwich wouldn't be considered an average team, whatever our current rating would be considered as , it's certainly below Newcastle and probably the average of teams Bruce has managed in the top flight.

as for the Guardiola vs Potter comparison. Again this comes down to the teams. Swap Potter and Guardiola around and would Brighton be doing better? Or Man city worse? I don't think so. My point here relates to the "he's not more likely to keep a team up than Farke" comment. Whatever we do with Farke this season, I honestly don't see how Bruce would improve things with OUR team.

Just now, Eggshell95 said:

Way too simplistic I think. " An average Bruce team would get 41 points" Norwich wouldn't be considered an average team, whatever our current rating would be considered as , it's certainly below Newcastle and probably the average of teams Bruce has managed in the top flight.

as for the Guardiola vs Potter comparison. Again this comes down to the teams. Swap Potter and Guardiola around and would Brighton be doing better? Or Man city worse? I don't think so. My point here relates to the "he's not more likely to keep a team up than Farke" comment. Whatever we do with Farke this season, I honestly don't see how Bruce would improve things with OUR team.

All fair which, without meaning to sound rude, is why I wasn't replying to your point.

My issue with Hoegsar's post was his 'the evidence shows this is simply not the case.' Fair to have an opinion that Bruce wouldn't do better but difficult to say the evidence on that is clear. 

Newcastle, generally are not the luckiest team - and if there's a "clear and obvious" change in that luck this season since having money, then we know the game is totally corrupt.  

Of course, there's also the conspiracy that the big clubs would want them to fail. 🙂

As for Bruce, despite what he achieved with us under Ken Brown he never seems to acknowledge the time he spent here, so I rarely feel sorry for him.  Just what is the issue there? 

As a kid that milk cup run was massive.  But maybe i'm just paranoid and his time at United dwarfed the experience he had here?

Edited by Google Bot

How on earth can it be established whether Bruce could do better here than Farke?

Could Newcastle have done better with Farke?

Was Hughton better at both clubs?

We could have had Steve Bruce as our manager quite a few years ago, he was interviewed for the position way back before the early days of the Proton/Lotus sponsorship.....Alas some of his demands and requirements if he was offered the position, didn't meet the then board's expectations.....

4 hours ago, City 101 said:

You would be hard pressed to find anybody who could do worse than Farke , the man looks completely out of his depth and has given up on even trying to win games . 

Anybody ?? 

Lambert,Hurst,Keane,Jewell come to mind ...........Binman 😒

5 hours ago, For the future said:

We need to sack farke after this weekend because we are not staying up under him as he has said he is not worried about  us not scoring goals and for that and a number of other things he has not done I would put Steve Bruce in charge so we start winning match’s.

Panic button alert!!. If we sack him, we will go down and find it hard to come back up again. It’s a case of “It’s better the devil you know”.

Edited by KernowCanary

4 hours ago, City 101 said:

You would be hard pressed to find anybody who could do worse than Farke , the man looks completely out of his depth and has given up on even trying to win games . 

Are you sure about that? 

I loved it when away fans used to yell 'handball' when Bruce controlled a high ball on his chest with his arms by his side and forearms out at 90deg, looking to the untrained eye as if he'd attempted to catch it.

Got me Thinking 

Newcastle will Probably Go through 2/3 managers to get them where they have to be 

Someone to save them this season then mid table then another manager to get them top 6 say then another to get them to the top like Man City have done 

Have Webber and Farke took us to as Far as they can Top of Championship Very bottom of PL

Their Record In PL is Not great to say the least do we need another pairing to Keep up and Progress here ? 

Edited by norfolkngood

7 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Who knows? If they try a more rounded approach to the game than "give it to Saint-Maximin and hope for the best" it might help them but that could also be their best option at present. They have what they have until January. Is Eddie Howe still in the frame? 

I hope Eddie Howe is in the frame as he'll string them along for two months then turn them down because his mates won't want to move up north to hold his hand, basically what he did to Celtic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I hope Eddie Howe is in the frame as he'll string them along for two months then turn them down because his mates won't want to move up north to hold his hand, basically what he did to Celtic.

And Burnley ! 

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

You have said this continually year after year after year Jimbo. I suppose chances are you'll be right eventually but many of your wannabe examples have been left behind long ago.

Yep, he's said this about our board every season we've not been promoted 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Apparently the binmen want Eddie Howe to replace Cook.... in League One 🤣

6 hours ago, C.I.D said:

Anybody ?? 

Lambert,Hurst,Keane,Jewell come to mind ...........Binman 😒

And how do you know they wouldn’t better Farkes pathetic total ……,,Cnut 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Clever Farke said:

Are you sure about that? 

Yep never seen such a clown at this level before . 

On 20/10/2021 at 10:54, Duncan Edwards said:

Is Eddie Howe still in the frame? 

I asked one of the local Cherries supporters for you if there was any talk about Eddie Howe joining Newcastle, Duncs, but he was quick to reassure that definitely wouldn’t be happening as he is very much first choice for the England job

• Like 1