Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

The 6 games after Chelsea, make or break? Predictions

I know we all hate the phrase 'free hit', so instead what I will say is that Saturday would be a very respectable point if we were able to shut up shop for a 3rd game running, however the next 6 games appear to be the ones which will decide if we will be in it to the very end, possibly even staying up with a bit of breathing space... or if the results go the opposite direction, effectively cut off at the bottom before Christmas. Baring a never before seen change of form for the second half of the season, it would likely be it for this top flight adventure. So lets look at them

Leeds (H)

Brentford (A)

Southampton (H)

Wolves (H)

Newcastle (A)

Spurs (A)    Spurs have made the list as under Nuno and between now and then, depending on how they are doing and we have done could become a smash and grab.

Looking at those, whilst perhaps unrealistic going off our current form I would be saying we need to be targeting  between 10-11 points. So win 3, draw 2, lose 1. I'd be targeting the home games as the ones to get all 3, though an over aggressive and confident Brentford could be beaten by fast counter attacks, but a draw probable a good outcome at their place. Newcastle could be in a very odd place with their manager, but for the season we should be looking to draw up there and try to beat them at Carrow Road. Spurs a chance for a bonus result if our form has really turned around.

So what do we think? The fact we still get to play Burnley at home, Everton at home, Watford again etc is the hope I'm holding onto, but the catalyst to get anything will be if we can go on a mini run through November.

Blimey. I've looked and looked at that and it doesn't get any easier.

Perhaps win two and draw one of our home games (and I feel I'm being a tad optimistic given what's gone before) and a sneaky away draw at Newcastle or Brentford.

8 points.

Can't look beyond the next game myself, every match is going to be tough.  As for that next game - Chelsea - if we can carry on as we have been and keep it 0-0, there is no reason we can't nick the game 1-0 with a late goal. Not a free hit imo.

• Like 2

Leeds (H) 0-1

Brentford (A) 3-1

Southampton (H) 0-0

Wolves (H) 0-0

Newcastle (A) 2-0

2 points.

Edited by yellow_belly

20 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Leeds (H) 0-1

Brentford (A) 3-1

Southampton (H) 0-0

Wolves (H) 0-0

Newcastle (A) 2-0

2 points.

Leeds are not playing particularly well. 3 points 

Brentford have got to slip up soon and hopefully against us. 3 points

Southampton 3 points

Wolves have been playing well 1 point

Newcastle it's hard to say as they'll have a new manager but keep their striker in Hanley's pocket and maybe we get a draw 1 point

11 points total. Yes, this is optomistic! OTBC! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Leeds are not playing particularly well. 3 points 

Brentford have got to slip up soon and hopefully against us. 3 points

Southampton 3 points

Wolves have been playing well 1 point

Newcastle it's hard to say as they'll have a new manager but keep their striker in Hanley's pocket and maybe we get a draw 1 point

11 points total. Yes, this is optomistic! OTBC! 

🤞heart says yes, but, alas, head knows better. 2 points.

Unless we start attacking teams and taken our chances we will get very little out of these Games 

i will go for 3 points  a win against Southampton 

I shall predict we are more likely to fail to score more than 3 or 4, and not gain more than 2 points.  Thankfully by then reality will win out and everyone can look forward to the Championship where goals can be celebrated with joy not to wait for VAR to disappoint.

The only prediction I can confidently make is that no-one on here has any idea what will happen. Anyone who does get it right will do so by chance only.

We probably need to win 3 of those or it will be game over.

Even losing to Leeds might create at least a 7 point gap to 17th.

3 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Blimey. I've looked and looked at that and it doesn't get any easier.

Perhaps win two and draw one of our home games (and I feel I'm being a tad optimistic given what's gone before) and a sneaky away draw at Newcastle or Brentford.

8 points.

That is my more optimistic view- we'd still be behind the curve but we'd have some momentum going forward. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We probably need to win 3 of those or it will be game over.

Even losing to Leeds might create at least a 7 point gap to 17th.

Along with 'free hit' we can add 'must win' to the list.. unless its the playoff final or the last day of the season and 3 points then that meaning is never right. However, the Leeds game is a massive one, it will put us in a horrible position if we were to lose that and open up such a gap.

Think we need to be looking at 9-10 points from those 6 games to haul oursleves back into contention. We ahve to target the home games (i.e not play for 0-0s) and we are capable of getting something at Brentford and/or Newcastle. In fact if we were in Brentford's position, Norwich at home is exactly the sort of game we would manage to lose 1-0 on a damp squib off day.

I still harbour hopes that a lunchtime kick off following hot on the heels of a champions league game may see a subdued atmosphere at Chelsea on Saturday and enable us to grind out another bore draw!