rock bus

Cantwell - where does he/do we go from here

Only just picking up on Farke's post match comments about Cantwell as per the front page 'article'.

Dont really want to go into the circumstances of the personal issues that have kept him out as that's private and between him and the club. But interested on people's thoughts on what we do now he is available.

I generally do agree with Farke in that no player should be able to just walk back into the team and dislodge others who are training exceptionally well. But surely we cant afford to allow a talented player like Cantwell to not be at least on the bench? Weird that it's now appears a direct choice between him and Dowell where previously have played in different positions and in the same team (although I'd like to see Todd playing central).

It's a bit of a dilemma at the moment as the current formation means that arguably our 'best' (or at least most creative) players - Cantwell, Gilmour, Rashica, Dowell, Tzolis are ALL out of the team and on occasions out of the squad. Surely that cant continue?

I'm a real fan of Todd's and it would be a bit depressing if he continues to be omitted from the squad and is then left with no option but to leave the club.... I certainly cant see why he'd want to sign a new contract in the current circumstances.

Farke has clearly told him what he needs to do. Impress in training. Todd has done this many times before and I've no doubt he can do it again. 

• Like 3

This should have been 'his' season, but for whatever reasons it isn't working out. I don't know what is really going on, but his value certainly isn't what it was. 

It might need a change of manager to get him back to form, but the dilemma for Todd is you're playing for a club that is almost certainly going down again. That must take its toll. 

Ideally Cantwell would bust his backside off, become brilliant and get sold for the summer in a win-win but maybe he hasn't got it in him? 

My hunch is that if Farke is still here in January, Todd will be sold. 

Tzolis and Rashica are similar players, Gilmour and Rupp are similar players but they were all on  the bench. This must be Farke's way of motivating Cantwell, he never seems to give him much credit. 

Dangerous game, let's hope it works. 

Todd has had a difficult month. All he needs to do is train consistently and he will be back in the mix. 

There are 8 months of the season left and loads of time for him to get in contention.

Tzolis, Todd and Rashica are all going to get plenty of game time this season. 

If Idah Trains better Than Pukki does he get in the team ?

i do not know what is going on and Todd is only just back training which i hope is the only reason and this does not drag on i imagine thats the Real Reason Farke Left Todd out  

i know you have to have a certain level of Discipline etc and give 100 % in Training So if he is fit  isn't it Matchday Performances that count ? 

Edited by norfolkngood

Todd will be a big part of this season, he knows what's needed and he's hungry for the big time.  Just give him time to get back into the swing of things.

Just now, norfolkngood said:

i know you have to have a certain level of Discipline etc and give 100 % in Training but isn't it Matchday Performances that count ? 

Matchday performances are hard to ascertain when you have 5 players and only one matchday spot to try them in (Current formation accepted).

Currently it's one from Dowell, Rashica, Tzolis, Sargent and Cantwell.  So, they've got to be showing it in training - there's no other choice as they're arguably around a similar ability with different pros and cons. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

If Idah Trains better Than Pukki does he get in the team ?

i do not know what is going on and Todd is only just back training which i hope is the only reason and this does not drag on i imagine thats the Real Reason Farke Left Todd out  

i know you have to have a certain level of Discipline etc and give 100 % in Training but isn't it Matchday Performances that count ? 

I'm one of Todd's biggest fans - but he hasn't done anything in particular in his matchday performances so far this season to justify coming straight back into the team in my opinion.

Worth bearing in mind that Todd had a very patchy start last season, but then really motored on as the season progressed. Hopefully he will do so again.

Farke’s comments are a little strange aren’t they in the context of this absence due to supposed “personal reasons.” They make it sound as if he has question marks over his commitment rather than someone coming back from an enforced absence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'm one of Todd's biggest fans - but he hasn't done anything in particular in his matchday performances so far this season to justify coming straight back into the team in my opinion.

Worth bearing in mind that Todd had a very patchy start last season, but then really motored on as the season progressed. Hopefully he will do so again.

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Matchday performances are hard to ascertain when you have 5 players and only one matchday spot to try them in (Current formation accepted).

Currently it's one from Dowell, Rashica, Tzolis, Sargent and Cantwell.  So, they've got to be showing it in training - there's no other choice as they're arguably around a similar ability with different pros and cons. 

oh i understand but if he is 100 % Fit you have to play the player who has done it in the PL before in my opinion Nobody played that well in the first games  when Todd was selected 

i totally understand if Todd has been a bit of a Pain etc turned up late etc or still not in the right mindset but if he is 100 % fit for me you have to play him as he has done it where the others are New and still bedding in 

We have to trust Farke as he knows the facts of the matter in hand 

but Some players come alive on matchday i would not want someone dropped or not selected because they are not the best trainer  

3 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

oh i understand but if he is 100 % Fit you have to play the player who has done it in the PL before in my opinion Nobody played that well in the first games  when Todd was selected 

i totally understand if Todd has been a bit of a Pain etc turned up late etc or still not in the right mindset but if he is 100 % fit for me you have to play him as he has done it where the others are New and still bedding in 

We have to trust Farke as he knows the facts of the matter in hand 

but Some players come alive on matchday i would not want someone dropped or not selected because they are not the best trainer  

Yeah, I would like to see him get some game time. Whilst watching the Brighton game I was thinking Todd would have done well in that type of game.

Get back on the phone to Villa and beg them to give us a decent offer in January 

in the short term he needs to do to a decent barber 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

And what about players who've been working hard and come from successful teams themselves?  Dowell spent many years coming through Everton, and deserves a chance.  Even with Cantwell and Emi in the same starting 11 we got relegated.

In competition, Rashica had multiple interest from top clubs, Tzolis greek cup winner and league runner up. etc. 

This isn't about Todd, as Farke has explained - it's about putting yourself at the front of the queue - You can't just drop Dowell who's been week in week out applying himself in training, what message does that send out to a club who's looking to develop from within?

Personally I think Todd is the standout performer - have no doubts that he can do it at this level.  But I can appreciate Farke has to stand by his squad as a whole and set high standards to not show favouritism.    ...Don't know how he explains the Rupp love in, but hey! 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

And what about players who've been working hard and come from successful teams themselves?  Dowell spent many years coming through Everton, and deserves a chance.  Even with Cantwell and Emi in the same starting 11 we got relegated.

In competition, Rashica had multiple interest from top clubs, Tzolis greek cup winner and league runner up. etc. 

This isn't about Todd, as Farke has explained - it's about putting yourself at the front of the queue - You can't just drop Dowell who's been week in week out applying himself in training, what message does that send out to a club who's looking to develop from within?

Personally I think Todd is the standout performer - have no doubts that he can do it at this level.  But I can appreciate Farke has to stand by his squad as a whole and set high standards to not show favouritism.    ...Don't know how he explains the Rupp love in, but hey! 😉

yes well put ! Maybe i was wrong about the other players chances ,

i agree about Rupp though !

A 75% fit Todd Cantwell is more creative than any other player in the team picked against Brighton. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Farke’s comments are a little strange aren’t they in the context of this absence due to supposed “personal reasons.” They make it sound as if he has question marks over his commitment rather than someone coming back from an enforced absence.

His commitment  may be affected  by his personal  reasons.  If he was acting the tw@ I don't think Farke would have protected him with ' Personal  reasons '... it would have been more like ' needs to apply himself  to his job' etc etc. 

Todd has only just come back to training and Farke wanted to gove him more time before bringing him back into the squad.

Even so, we're not playing any wingers or CAMs so I'd expect Cantwell, Tzolis and Rashica feature more after the Chelsea game, when DF will surely be a bit more adventerous.

3 hours in and I’m surprised that nobody’s given the obvious answer-

‘Down to the lake I fear’ 🎤🤣

• Haha 2

I'm suspecting that as per the end of the previous season but one when both Todd and Emi had some 'commitment' issues we may be having something similar again.

You have to earn your place in any EPL team whoever you are. Nobody is entitled.,

Do it in training and earn the right to the shirt.

If Todd doesn't play he will not get a move to PL club, a player who thinks he has a right to play.  Give the paucity of creative talent perhaps he has that right.  Farke again falling out big time with his players his stubbornness will see City relegated again without a whimper.

What to do about Todd don't play him make him worth less in the transfer market.  Take up the additional year in his contract.  Whatever he will leave for nothing what a waste of an asset that could have been worth around £20m but decreases each week he is excluded.  If he was playing and performing Todd could be sold for a bargain price and Farke would not have the bother putting up with this nuisance.

While we are heading at pace to a relegation Farke who will be here for next 4 years as he shows little ambition to move elsewhere he should be looking at preparing for the Championship.  That means finding how the players bought for not insignificant sums adapt to the English game Tzolis and Rashica given game time rather than brief cameos.  Also give some game time to Omobamidele and Idah more than the final 2 minutes of games otherwise the promising kids will never show their abilities.

Need to fit in Placheta and the forgotten Sorensen if you are not going to play them out of sheer pique send them on loan.

We have a number of players who can't be happy with the way Farke is doing his job as is the case with many supporters.    

Farke has told Todd what he needs to do, no doubt Todd will get his head down and do it, it's not in his advantage to be out of the team whether he ends up staying here beyond this season or not so he'll no doubt want to get back into the team as soon as possible anyway, and in truth we could really do with him as an option. He scored 6 goals last time in the PL, we could sure do with a few of those now!

2 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Get back on the phone to Villa and beg them to give us a decent offer in January 

in the short term he needs to do to a decent barber 

Do what to a decent barber ?

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The name Todd and Barbers summons up a Pork Pie more than football.

And not 100% pork either. lol

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

The name Todd and Barbers summons up a Pork Pie more than football.

I sweeny  what you did there  Grandado. There are them that swear by a bit of long pig. 

• Haha 1