Sign in to follow this  
Thumbbass

Corners

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I don't think there is an inherent problem with zonal marking per se, its the way our players were implementing it so literally to the extent that they were more or less ignoring the runners entirely and not handing them on to each other or communicating effectively. A sensible system presumably combines elements of zonal marking (all defending involves zonal marking to a degree) with one or two players also tracking runners but whatever system you play you still need to attack the ball and not just stand there like a statue whilst the forward ghosts in between you and your defensive partner completely unchallenged. 

As good a defender as Hanley is, I do wonder if he needs to be more vocal on the pitch at times - he seems the strong, silent type rather than an organiser. 

The system is usually 4 or 5 players in the zones and 4 or 5 players acting as blockers. You often hear so called experts say that a blocker "wasn't even looking at the ball". They're not meant to. They are meant to do everything they possibly can to disrupt a run into the zone. 

The 4 or 5 in the zone will usually be the best headers of the ball. 

Someone above has asked why we don't leave someone up front from corners. The biggest supporter of that idea is Ian Holloway who is now out of work having been involved in Grimsby's relegation from the Football League.

Quite simply, the odds of letting in a goal from a corner increase if you leave a player up front but the chances of that player turning the defence of a corner into a goal at the other end are tiny. 

It's a bit similar to playing out from the back. They know that if the keeper kicks the ball long that the chances of keeping it are lower than if you play out from the back. Clubs employ people to compile these statistics and they do what they do because it works. 

On the subject of tactics there is a superb book by Jonathan Wilson called Inverting The Pyramid. 

Quite expensive on Amazon but there are second hand copies available online. 

One of the early highlights is Scotland being accused of cheating in The Times because they passed the ball in an international match against England. Believe it or not, no one in England had thought of passing the ball before. It changed the game overnight. 

• Thanks 1

Have we taken a decent corner since the  90s? As long as I can remember we've been pretty poor at set plays. The shout of COME ON YOU YELLOWS at a corner has generally been followed by a groan a minute or so later.

I could be totally wrong but it's always seemed that we don't take as much advantage of them as alot of other teams

12 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Have we taken a decent corner since the  90s? As long as I can remember we've been pretty poor at set plays. The shout of COME ON YOU YELLOWS at a corner has generally been followed by a groan a minute or so late

Perhaps we should go back to the chant of “ in the net, in the net “

• Like 1

During corners, place a player on the D and place players on the back post. Also, free kicks put players on the back post because these days there are none and the opposition has an open unmarked goal

56 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Perhaps we should go back to the chant of “ in the net, in the net “

Before my time. I will definitely start that at the next game tho!

During corners, place a player on the D and place players on the back post. Also, free kicks put players on the back post because, in the PL, you've got to mark your backdoor, or the opposition has an open unmarked goal.