Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Sargent v Hugill.. Who's the better striker?

Sargent v Hugill.. Who's the better striker?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Sargent or Hugill?

• Sargent
    • Hugill

It's like comparing chalk and cheese.

I think you have to think in terms of potential with Sargent and what he might develop into - he certainly looks the part in many ways and still only 19 - and Hugill is what he is - an older, bustling journeyman of a player who does not have that potenial.

• Thanks 1

Is this serious? Radio Norfolk mentioned there were two polarising opinions about Sargent which surprised me but now are we really trying to compare Sargent with Hugill? Are some that sad that they’re holding that miss against him in such an angry way??

I was pleased to stay in the ground after the whistle and applaud the team off the pitch. Even more pleasing was that everyone around me was shouting support to Josh as he came off. “Well played Josh” “It’s coming Josh, keep going” “great game” just some of the comments I heard (and joined in with) and Josh came over and thanked us for the support. Was a moment that restored my faith in the fans, particularly after sitting behind an absolute bell*** who criticised everything throughout the whole match.

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's like comparing chalk and cheese.

I think you have to think in terms of potential with Sargent and what he might develop into - he certainly looks the part in many ways and still only 19 - and Hugill is what he is - an older, bustling journeyman of a player who does not have that potenial.

He’s 21 but the rest is spot on

One thing I would argue is that in the current system that we're playing of 2 up front, If after 70 odd mins Sargent has run himself into the ground and you were looking along the bench for someone to come on for him, Hugill would do more of a similar job than Idah probably would?

29 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Are some that sad that they’re holding that miss against him in such an angry way??

At the time of me posting this... 7 have voted for Sargent being the better striker, and 0 for Hugill.

So who are these imaginary sad people you are talking about?

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

At the time of me posting this... 7 have voted for Sargent being the better striker, and 0 for Hugill.

So who are these imaginary sad people you are talking about?

Some idiots seated around me at the ground and the many many idiots on Twitter and Facebook that were the subject of Rob Butlers comment on Radio Norfolk. I’ve already mentioned it in my post and unfortunately far from imaginary.

Thanks for the unnecessary confrontational tone though.

Edited by Fiery Zac

We've seen him play a handful of games, impossible to answer this question fairly. Yes he should have scored but equally was quite possibly our best player for large periods on Saturday

• Like 3

As far as Sargent is concern, I'm not surprise he missed or surprise that he couldn't control Pukki's pass. He just hasn't got that skill set. If he played striker for all the remaining games this season he may get 2 or 3 goals - one yard tap ins - don't expect more ! He won't setup goals either - not at this level - so not a premier league striker or midfielder.

But what he has got is combativeness and physicality,  capable of defending well from the front, harass and putting opposing defenders under pressure and be an outlet for defenders via holding onto the ball - ideal if you want to grind out a nil-all draw against the big guns but not if you're chasing 3 pointers. Only takes a couple of appearances to see what he brings to the table - those that can't see this are those who think the problem is simply down to confidence or time to gel - it's not going to happen ! 

We need a striker that has natural goal scoring instincts - someone like MacDougall, Drinkell, Fleck, Sutton, Robins, Ekoku, Ashton, Holt - Sargent can't do the goal scoring part  !

• Like 1

Wrong debate, should be Hugill or Idah?

In hindsight I'd of kept Hugill and sent Idah out on loan cause Hugill is better than Idah at this present time and would be more useful cause he can impose himself more on games being more of a nuisance for defenders. Hes mainly a sub for West Brom something he could have been at Norwich.

As for Sargeant he does everything right except hes poor in front of goal which if you look at his record isn't a surprise. 

Sargents miss was shocking, an absolute stinker. He should have put it away and probably would have 99 times in 100.

However, the reason he had the chance at all was because he runs, competes and puts defenses under a bit of pressure with that work rate. He could be an exceptionally useful player and doesn't look out of his depth at the lower end of the premiership. 

As someone said on here, he is not an out and out goal scorer, what we need is for Pukki to start hitting the net and tbh, we needed Idah to kick on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingsway said:

Wrong debate, should be Hugill or Idah?

In hindsight I'd of kept Hugill and sent Idah out on loan cause Hugill is better than Idah at this present time and would be more useful cause he can impose himself more on games being more of a nuisance for defenders. Hes mainly a sub for West Brom something he could have been at Norwich.

As for Sargeant he does everything right except hes poor in front of goal which if you look at his record isn't a surprise. 

The lack of game time for Idah is just poor management of a young player and I'm surprised that the club has let it go on for so long. He is clearly gifted, but he needed a couple of seasons scoring goals in the lower leagues. 

12 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Some idiots seated around me at the ground and the many many idiots on Twitter and Facebook that were the subject of Rob Butlers comment on Radio Norfolk. I’ve already mentioned it in my post and unfortunately far from imaginary.

Thanks for the unnecessary confrontational tone though.

Imagine getting wound up by Canary Call and anonymous twitter accounts. 

Try not listening to the former, and not reading the latter.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

46 minutes ago, 1902 said:

The lack of game time for Idah is just poor management of a young player and I'm surprised that the club has let it go on for so long. He is clearly gifted, but he needed a couple of seasons scoring goals in the lower leagues. 

Ryan Jarvis II, same thing happened with him sitting around for three years getting a few minutes here and there. Idah will be in the National League within 6 years and should be submitting a formal transfer request if he wants to avoid that. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Yes a penny for Jordan Hugill's thoughts. Sargent is praised for his effort, aerial challenging and commitment. All these things Hugill has in spades. The difference is Sargent seems to lose his head at key moments where as I would back Hugill from a number of the positions Sargent missed from.

I also think Hugill is a bigger influence on the team mentally and hates to not win. I don't care if Sargent is 21, it means nothing at the end of the season, I think Hugill should be here and I think he would have earned a chance in the team, based on results and performances.

Just now, hertfordyellow said:

Yes a penny for Jordan Hugill's thoughts. Sargent is praised for his effort, aerial challenging and commitment. All these things Hugill has in spades. The difference is Sargent seems to lose his head at key moments where as I would back Hugill from a number of the positions Sargent missed from.

I also think Hugill is a bigger influence on the team mentally and hates to not win. I don't care if Sargent is 21, it means nothing at the end of the season, I think Hugill should be here and I think he would have earned a chance in the team, based on results and performances.

Hugill wouldn't have been quick enough to create the goalkeeper error chance on Saturday. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fuzzar said:

Hugill wouldn't have been quick enough to create the goalkeeper error chance on Saturday. 

Agreed. However, last few minutes of a game, it's 0-0, we desperately need the points and we get a corner (yesterday for example).

Who would you want from our team in their goal area challenging for that ball?

A misfiring 21yr old, new striker likely to come good, fast player. Or our 31 year old international not known for heading the ball?  Or our tough, unconventional, gnarly and fearless striker, late 20s, well built battler?

I for one do not see Hugill as the answer to our woes long term, but there are points when we just need that type of player at that type of moment.

Yesterday was one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Six Pack said:

As far as Sargent is concern, I'm not surprise he missed or surprise that he couldn't control Pukki's pass. He just hasn't got that skill set. If he played striker for all the remaining games this season he may get 2 or 3 goals - one yard tap ins - don't expect more ! He won't setup goals either - not at this level - so not a premier league striker or midfielder.

But what he has got is combativeness and physicality,  capable of defending well from the front, harass and putting opposing defenders under pressure and be an outlet for defenders via holding onto the ball - ideal if you want to grind out a nil-all draw against the big guns but not if you're chasing 3 pointers. Only takes a couple of appearances to see what he brings to the table - those that can't see this are those who think the problem is simply down to confidence or time to gel - it's not going to happen ! 

We need a striker that has natural goal scoring instincts - someone like MacDougall, Drinkell, Fleck, Sutton, Robins, Ekoku, Ashton, Holt - Sargent can't do the goal scoring part  !

So, you put one alongside him. His ability at pressuring the hell out of opposition defences is an excellent one to have especially as Pukki's no slouch in that department on the ground either (but does not have the physical presence to batter defenders around), and it also means we've got a very different weapon to beat high presses.

I like what I've seen so far from him apart from his finishing, and it shows Farke's not wedded to one style of play. Sargent is very much a manifestation of a Plan B.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I'll have to watch it back again but it seemed to break straight to his feet. His mobility might be an issue I agree

1 minute ago, hertfordyellow said:

I'll have to watch it back again but it seemed to break straight to his feet. His mobility might be an issue I agree

It was his running to get there. He looked like he was catching the defender up whilst putting Sanchez under pressure. Not comparing him to Placheta in any way, but he showed a fair turn of pace on that one.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Imagine getting wound up by Canary Call and anonymous twitter accounts. 

Try not listening to the former, and not reading the latter.

Only wound up by the guy I couldn’t get away from or stop listening to, at the match. The other stuff, again as I actually said in my post, surprised me, but I can just switch it off.

Thanks for the advice though 

Sargent's control and pace is far better than Hugill's. Take his first effort in the 1st half on Saturday, Cryuff turn on his first touch to spin off the defender and space to get a shot off, I cannot see Hugill doing that. He is a big upgrade. Yes, his finishing needs work, probably more a confidence thing, but he will create chances that Hugill isn't technically good enough to. 

• Like 1

On 18/10/2021 at 22:08, TheGunnShow said:

So, you put one alongside him. His ability at pressuring the hell out of opposition defences is an excellent one to have especially as Pukki's no slouch in that department on the ground either (but does not have the physical presence to batter defenders around), and it also means we've got a very different weapon to beat high presses.

I like what I've seen so far from him apart from his finishing, and it shows Farke's not wedded to one style of play. Sargent is very much a manifestation of a Plan B.

Yes I do agree that the open goal miss was a result of the pressure he put on the defence. I was more concern about the first touch when put through by Pukki - a competent goal scorer would have slotted that one. I'm sure if that was Rhodes we would have scored.

Our new more direct style, and the odd 'lump it up' would have suited Hugill.

We just need a striker who can actually hit the target. 

On 18/10/2021 at 09:37, hertfordyellow said:

I’m pretty sure Josh is much faster and better at holding the ball up than Hugill from what I’ve seen, would love to see sone comparison stats on it although wouldn’t be entirely fair given Prem v Champ.

Regardless I think we should have kept Hugill and loaned out Idah personally.