Sign in to follow this  
Thingy

DF and Tzolis

5 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

And if it was would you accept that as success?

32 goalless draws I mean!

It wouldn’t be my choice but I would probably wet myself laughing at Talksport, MOTD and the rest who would all have a huge meltdown.

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

Totally unacceptable, lol, what are you going to do about it apart from accept it and suck it up granddad. Most fans would be perfectly happy if we only scored 12 goals from now until May if they came in 12 scrappy 1-0 wins.

Yes but we won’t because we don’t have it in us to do that.  We will actually do much, much worse. And as for the Granddad reference I am a granddad but I’m only 49.

20 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Yes but we won’t because we don’t have it in us to do that.  We will actually do much, much worse. And as for the Granddad reference I am a granddad but I’m only 49.

I'm happy to wait and see. Your autumn predictions are invariably wide of the mark enabling you to take the winter off. Do you go abroad? A lot of old people do...

😉🏝️

9 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Nope, the Play Off winners have a more confident team than us, I suspect largely due to the p155 easy start they had, and that confidence is exactly why they are getting the results they are. This is not the first time we’ve seen a side performing above themselves due to the feel good factor (Hello Sheffield United).

Sheff. Utd finished way up the league (9th) in the 19/20 season on 54 points. Remind me what tally we sadly accumulated?. They were obviously a much better side than us that season just as (currently) Brentford are streets ahead of us and likely to remain so.

1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Your grandchild probably thinks you're 94 😀

3 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Sheff. Utd finished way up the league (9th) in the 19/20 season on 54 points. Remind me what tally we sadly accumulated?. They were obviously a much better side than us that season just as (currently) Brentford are streets ahead of us and likely to remain so.

Sorry, what part of that do I disagree with? Confidence is everything.

You keep pulling yourself off to Brentford 👍

Edited by Alex Moss

Brentford are absolutely flying at the moment and credit to them. They are carrying a real menace going forward and seem to be indefatigable in energy. I agree a lot of that is confidence and momentum and the key will be when they suffer 2,3,4 defeats in a row and go flat, however they may have enough of a cushion by then.

We are doing the only thing, we can right now. We have stopped the rot in terms of beating ourselves with silly mistakes and staying in games longer. Is that enough to keep us up? Clearly not but it is slowly but surely giving us a base and you can start to see situations where gilmour, Rashica, Tzolis could start to integrate into the side and give us more of a threat going forward. All is not lost yet, but we do need to get that important win on the board within the next 3 games for me. 

Its an absolute shambles that Tzolis doesn't start or at the absolute minimum get 30mins to make an impact. He is the most talented player we have permanently on the books at Norwich. At Arsenal away where very little was created, he was the only one who was playing with confidence and threatened their defence. 

0-0 against Brighton and how he didn't get on baffles me... this is the teenage footballer who scored the most goals in the ENTIRE of Europes top leagues last season!!! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Yella Army said:

Its an absolute shambles that Tzolis doesn't start or at the absolute minimum get 30mins to make an impact. He is the most talented player we have permanently on the books at Norwich. At Arsenal away where very little was created, he was the only one who was playing with confidence and threatened their defence. 

0-0 against Brighton and how he didn't get on baffles me... this is the teenage footballer who scored the most goals in the ENTIRE of Europes top leagues last season!!! 

I agree. It’s ridiculous. For a club like us to have Rashica, Tzolis, Cantwell and Gilmour on the bench whilst grinding out 0-0s against Burnley and Brighton is madness. Palace looked very solid in the main at Arsenal last night without playing 9 defensive players. It all flows back to an inability to get them to do the defensive basics properly which has now undermined everything we do given it has forced this formation change. 

• Like 2

One of the problems of course is that if you are in the bench at Norwich you get 10 minutes on the pitch if you are lucky, normally less. 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

One of the problems of course is that if you are in the bench at Norwich you get 10 minutes on the pitch if you are lucky, normally less. 

Agreed - and whose fault is that?

What we are seeing right now is the classic case of a manager trying to find the right balance between defence and attack, we seem to have sorted things out at the back after a leaky start but DF now has to find goals from somewhere. The team he picked on Saturday should have won the game, no doubt about it, chances were missed that should have been taken. Expect the same line up this weekend but like most people I'd like to see a bit more adventure against Leeds and take the game to the opposition although if we we throw three or four of the attacking players mentioned into the side we will be far less solid. That first win will make everybody feel so much better and less whingey, it might even be Saturday.....

Edited by Gordon Bennett

On 17/10/2021 at 23:13, Thirsty Lizard said:

You do realise that you're wrong and that we paid more for Rashica than Tzolis?

Transfermarkt has got it level at £9.9m a piece, but the add-ons will take Tzolis far higher.

Both on the f*cking bench though aren't they Thirsty Lizard which was the original point, next level barrel scraping. 

People keep going on about our record breaking gross spend, but £25m of it is stuck on the bench in Gunn, Rashica and Tzolis.

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Although in the last games we've also made subs in the 76th, 69th, 69th, 70th, 70th, 62nd and 68th minutes. So there are also opportunities to make an impact, it's just that no-one has.

Tzolis also started at Arsenal and was one of the worst-rated players on the pitch, behind Dowell, PLM, Rupp, Mclean, Aarons, Williams, Hanley, Omobamidele, Krul etc. He then came on against Everton for 25 minutes and equally was one of the poorest players statistically.

We all like to watch young, quick skillfull players but it's not like he's been playing fantastic and has been left out unfairly. 

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Although in the last games we've also made subs in the 76th, 69th, 69th, 70th, 70th, 62nd and 68th minutes. So there are also opportunities to make an impact, it's just that no-one has.

Tzolis also started at Arsenal and was one of the worst-rated players on the pitch, behind Dowell, PLM, Rupp, Mclean, Aarons, Williams, Hanley, Omobamidele, Krul etc. He then came on against Everton for 25 minutes and equally was one of the poorest players statistically.

We all like to watch young, quick skillfull players but it's not like he's been playing fantastic and has been left out unfairly. 

You can prove anything with facts 😉

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well not sure who does those ratings then because at Arsenal, in the first half particularly, he was very good.

He's certainly made more happen and looked more dangerous than Sargent does but we know Sargent will stay in the side bcause of his work rate (despite the fact he doesn;t score) which basically means there is only room for one creative player if Farke is willing to shake up the midfield 3 (which again he won't).

I think those who insist that Farke is going to somehow re-integrate the attacking players into the side over the next 2 or 3 games haven't really looked at how our manager operates very closely. He won;t change it if we keep picking up draws and draws are not really enough. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Well not sure who does those ratings then because at Arsenal, in the first half particularly, he was very good.

He's certainly made more happen and looked more dangerous than Sargent does but we know Sargent will stay in the side bcause of his work rate (despite the fact he doesn;t score) which basically means there is only room for one creative player if Farke is willing to shake up the midfield 3 (which again he won't).

I think those who insist that Farke is going to somehow re-integrate the attacking players into the side over the next 2 or 3 games haven't really looked at how our manager operates very closely. He won;t change it if we keep picking up draws and draws are not really enough. 

Does Sargent grab penalties off the designated taker and then miss them? 

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Does Sargent grab penalties off the designated taker and then miss them? 

Probably not, just misses open goals in more important matches.

So you are saying Farke is punishing Tzolis for the Liverpool game incident then?

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Transfermarkt has got it level at £9.9m a piece, but the add-ons will take Tzolis far higher.

Both on the f*cking bench though aren't they Thirsty Lizard which was the original point, next level barrel scraping. 

People keep going on about our record breaking gross spend, but £25m of it is stuck on the bench in Gunn, Rashica and Tzolis.

Not if he's on the bench they won't. 🤣

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Probably not, just misses open goals in more important matches.

So you are saying Farke is punishing Tzolis for the Liverpool game incident then?

No, not really, but Tzolis didn't really do anything to impress in that game did he? He had a great chance to set up Idah for a tap in and woefully over hit the cross just before the penalty incident. 

I think people forget that when Tzolis has played, all attacking situations seem to have him involved.. the above poster blaming a bad cross to Idah. He at least was influencing the game in the final 3rd. He also set up the penalty... again influencing in that final third.

Sargent for me is on a par with someone like Elmander When he was with us... that's how much I rate the bloke.. 

• Like 1

I have no doubt that Tzolis, Rashica, Cantwell and Gilmour have a huge role to play in a season and will start to be integrated in/make an impact off the bench.

I can also see the same side on Saturday (especially as gilmour is not available) with a view to crafting out an unlikely point but then it will be interesting to see what tweak DF makes next. Will it be gilmour for  kenny or PLM or Rashica for Kenny and a move to a 3-4-3?

I just can’t see at this stage us moving away from 3 centre backs. Interestingly Brighton played a similar system but had more fluidity than us at times.