Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Our mistake was signing Hugill over Toney

8 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Oh, I'd say signing Tim Krul on a free was bit of transfer genius wouldn't you? 

Probably just common sense that one most people knew about krul from his many seasons in the prem and if you could get someone like that on a free seems a no brainer to most logical people. The difference with Pukki and buendia was they were relatively unknown to most. 

8 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Oh, I'd say signing Tim Krul on a free was bit of transfer genius wouldn't you? 

At the time it was a gamble. Krul had come back from a very serious injury, he was at Ajax & Brighton but didn't get to be a first team regular. 

We made the same gamble with Nyland.

3 hours ago, Pugin said:

You do realise that Sargent is performing far better than Toney was, when at the same age? Or has this detail escaped your attention?

He clearly has a wonderful attitude and no shortage of ability, which gives him every chance of being a success.

It was easy yesterday to grab hold of the negatives - Sargent's horrible miss when he panicked, Normann's 3 near post corners to McClean which were a few centimeters away from being perfect etc etc - but the reality is that there were encouraging signs, and Sargent's continued development was one of them. Did you notice that he a Pukki were required to press 4 defenders across the width of the pitch? Do you know how hard that is?

Sargeant is doing everything right like work rate and hold up play apart from one vital element, hes not good when presented with goal scoring chances.

You mentioned Pukki having to press 4 defenders! - Well there was virtually no support from midfield (and the for the most part the wingbacks who wern't coming forward) for the isolated front two.

Yes I'm sure at the time Toney would of come to Norwich but would it of worked out the same as it has for him at Brentford?

Another mistake this last summer was not letting Idah go out on loan and keep the more effective Hugill whose mainly been used as a sub at West Brom something he could have done here!

3 hours ago, Pugin said:

And as recently as 2018 Toney was loaned out to S****horpe for half a season. S****horpe!

Sargent is getting into some half decent positions and his size and physicality are a real asset even against top defenders. Let's see how it develops. The big disappointment yesterday was that we sacrificed creativity for battling.in midfield and that the three 'dogs of war' in the middle sat off a little too deep. Farke needs to find a way to get Cantwell back into it, then we might look like a viable Premier League side. 

Irrespective of the positions Sargent gets into, he proved yesterday he can’t hit a barn door with a baseball bat! More evidence that the so called big money spent this Summer has been wasted yet again, something which Webber moaned about happening in the past! 

Toney would never have chosen us unless he was first choice. We'd have had to get rid of Pukki so would have relied on Toney forming a partnership with Emi. Obviously it would have been great to have him but it wasn't a realistic proposition. Brentford had a clear gap for a striker and the money to do it after Watkins was sold.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, non-scoring strikers said:

No.

We were able to sign a free agent with Premier league experience because he'd had a stinker at Brighton and wasn't performing that well in the Eredivise. 

We signed a Dutch international goalkeeper who has played brilliantly for us for over three seasons now for nothing. I'm sorry that seems to upset you so much. 

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

At the time it was a gamble. Krul had come back from a very serious injury, he was at Ajax & Brighton but didn't get to be a first team regular. 

We made the same gamble with Nyland.

No we didn't. We signed Nyland on a short term deal for a few months initially. We signed Krul on a permanent deal. It was a brilliant piece of business - and anybody who tries to argue otherwise is an idiot. 

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

No we didn't. We signed Nyland on a short term deal for a few months initially. We signed Krul on a permanent deal. It was a brilliant piece of business - and anybody who tries to argue otherwise is an idiot. 

Hi, idiot here. The gamble was signing players who had serious long term injuries, it could've ended up like Byram and then the other idiots would tell you it was a terrible signing. 😀

Webber and Farke have done the best they can in the context of an ownership who simply don’t have the finances to compete in the PL. This is why we see penny pinching on the one hand, for instance over the Chelsea tickets, or the purchase of players not of PL quality. The only outcome will be a 20th finish again with the likelihood of accruing points or goals in double figures looking at best remote.

46 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Hi, idiot here. The gamble was signing players who had serious long term injuries, it could've ended up like Byram and then the other idiots would tell you it was a terrible signing. 😀

The 'idiot' comment wasn't actually aimed at you because I know you're not (so apologies if it was misinterpreted). It just really annoys me that some of the miserablists on here dismiss any good (or brilliant) signings that we make as 'lucky' and yet any bad ones show that 'Webber is clueless' etc, etc. 

• Like 1

So now to add to the threads on players who didn't want to stay, we now have threads on players who might never have wanted to come.

• Haha 1

i Really rate Toney But i think it might be more  he fits Brentford style of play 

Bit like Vardy at leicester they know exactly how to use his pace and set up and play to his strengths 

our Midfield are to far away from our Strikers to help the press it must be Tactics why they sit so deep 

The Service our strikers get is pretty shocking this season to be fair 

5 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

I've got a radical idea. Why don't we just SUPPORT the team, the players, the staff and each other instead of constantly feeling the need to add to the noise. Too many noises become wind. It's windy here.

You are going the right way to get yourself banned from the forum with inflammatory rhetoric like that 😆

6 hours ago, Mullet said:

But this is hindsight. Of course with a crystal ball Webber would have gone for Toney instead of Hugill, but who knew Hugill would be so useless and Toney so brilliant. Brentford got it right we got it wrong. Sergent will come good his miss yesterday wasn't as horrendous as people make out he just didn't put his foot through it. The Brighton miss 6 yards out was worse.

Loads of people were doubting the Hugill signing and calling for us to sign Toney, when I get a chance I'll prove it. 

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Whats the fuss about?,....he's scored ONE goal from open play in 8 premier league games this season !?! (+ 1 penalty)

...we're  perfectly ok for strikers that can't score in this league ,already thankyou

And 2 assists.

2 goals + 2 assists. That adds up to 4. 

Our entire team has scored 2 goals in 8 games, in total, real world calling!

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And 2 assists.

100% we should have signed him but when you have zero cash flow and a wages budget not for for the top flight it was never going to happen.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And 2 assists.

Well I wont be ruing the fact we didnt sign a striker who's scored 1 goal from open play in 8 games...not quite sure why anyone else would be.

17 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

This- we struck lucky with Pukki and Buendia- and in fairness have done well developing talent. But in terms of first team signings - Webber had an absolute stinker last Prem campaign and it’s looking like it’s all wrong this time too- overall a very poor return for the money spent. We are worse than we were last season having splashed cash

Webber's transfer record is looking more and more appalling with each window. Our best players are still ones we've developed ourselves. 

I won't be sorry to see Webber clear off next summer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Whats the fuss about?,....he's scored ONE goal from open play in 8 premier league games this season !?! (+ 1 penalty)

...we're  perfectly ok for strikers that can't score in this league ,already thankyou

Have you watched him? He is very good, is their focal point in attack and would be an upgrade on Pukki IMO right now, but not sure he would’ve came here over Brentford given Pukki would’ve probably been first choice at that time as others have said.

12 hours ago, non-scoring strikers said:

No.

We were able to sign a free agent with Premier league experience because he'd had a stinker at Brighton and wasn't performing that well in the Eredivise. 

Had a stinker at Brighton... 2 games for the under 23s and a few cup games where they probably played an under strength team. And he played a total of 24 games in 2 seasons in Holland before he moved to Brighton. I'd say over 140 PL games at Newcastle says enough. I'd say it's a stroke of transfer genius. Amount of points he has saved us since arriving here. OK I'd admit a few weeks ago I said about playing gunn, we did against Liverpool in Cup and he didn't look great. And he's costing us how much?

Edited by Ward 3

I thought the OP made some good points and some speculations.

But for people to come on and just go "na na nana na" at his effort shows their lack of ability to debate.

From what I have seen, Toney's contribution to the team is immense. His all round game is good. So what if he went to S****horpe.  Teemu was heading for oblivion until we rescued him. And in reality, he is a one trick pony. That trick is good but its his only real asset. 

Sargent did not have a great scoring record in Germany. Just because he works hard isn't enough to complement or replace Teemu. Yet Idah gets stoppage time only for working hard.

Our goalscoring opportunities are restricted. Not dangerous in the air, woeful from corners and since Mario we don't even attempt free kicks properly. So someone like Toney would have given us greater options. 

26 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Have you watched him? He is very good, is their focal point in attack and would be an upgrade on Pukki IMO right now, but not sure he would’ve came here over Brentford given Pukki would’ve probably been first choice at that time as others have said.

We dont need a 'focal point'...we need a goal scorer. Who exactly would he be the focal point for in our team currently?

No evidence to say he can score goals in the Premier League as yet

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We dont need a 'focal point'...we need a goal scorer. Who exactly would he be the focal point for in our team currently?

No evidence to say he can score goals in the Premier League as yet

But he’s providing goals, assists AND being their focal point. I think he will continue to do well then end up at an Everton / Leicester type side to be honest.

7 hours ago, Highland Canary said:

Webber and Farke have done the best they can in the context of an ownership who simply don’t have the finances to compete in the PL. This is why we see penny pinching on the one hand, for instance over the Chelsea tickets, or the purchase of players not of PL quality. The only outcome will be a 20th finish again with the likelihood of accruing points or goals in double figures looking at best remote.

I share your concerns about the ownership but Webber and Farke have f***ed up pretty much everything since promotion, so far. 

Toney would at the very least be a big upgrade on all your centre backs. When you signed Hugill I thought you were planning ahead for the Championship after another yoyo. He’s really not a PL player. 

3 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

100% we should have signed him but when you have zero cash flow and a wages budget not for for the top flight it was never going to happen.

This is a new level of naive if people think Toney would have signed for us over Brentford as potentially second fiddle to Pukki. Alternatively we could have got rid of Pukki but since he'd scored 30 goals in the Championship and 11 in the Prem whereas Toney had scored zero it hardly surprises me we didnt take that gamble.