Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Our mistake was signing Hugill over Toney

15 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I share your concerns about the ownership but Webber and Farke have f***ed up pretty much everything since promotion, so far. 

Hard to throw the kitchen sink right now isn't it? You lot want to blame the others but we've signed players and spent money and we've not seen enough of them to know how every one Will work out, but its quite clear Webber has done a good job getting in PLM and Normann, who are now our two best midfielders. If we're lucky the rest of the signings will turn out trash and that should be enough to try and force Webber out of the club for some reason.

I suppose we could put all the blame on Farke but with Graham Potter being one of most highly regarded upcoming managers right now, having Brighton in 4th but Farke tactically getting it spot on, conceding few chances and creating the most guilt edge ones it might start to get tricky to fully blame him!

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Well I wont be ruing the fact we didnt sign a striker who's scored 1 goal from open play in 8 games...not quite sure why anyone else would be.

Well you are a clueless fool then, because Toney is clearly Premier League standard and will keep Brentford up.

I'd perhaps keep opinions like yourself as they don't age well. 

18 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well you are a clueless fool then, because Toney is clearly Premier League standard and will keep Brentford up.

I'd perhaps keep opinions like yourself as they don't age well. 

1 goal from open play in 8 games isnt an opinion.. its fact

...and youre calling me clueless?

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

1 goal from open play in 8 games isnt an opinion.. its fact

...and youre calling me clueless?

If you can't understand how Firmino (9 goals last season) is better than many of the 26 players who outscored him last season in the Premier League, then yes... not just clueless, but a complete div.

Toney has been involved in twice as many Premier League goals this season than our team has scored collectively.

Imagine being in this much denial. 

21 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

People keep talking about the £58m we've spent this summer (although that is gross of course, as £37m came in).

But our mistake was not finding the additional £2.5m to sign Toney over Hugill last summer. From Peterborough as well, a local team who have been a reliable source of young talent for us in the past... Drury, Bennett, McKenzie for a start. 

£2.5m rising to £5m upon promotion for Hugill, or £5m rising to £10m upon promotion for Toney.

I'm sure somebody will come along and simply argue that the club couldn't afford the additional £2.5m last summer, and of course we couldn't have foresaw Covid-19, but it is a bit depressing when you realise that the summer before we allegedly spent £2.7m in loan fees for Ralf Fahrmann alone despite all accepting we had no chance of survival, and that loan fee would have covered the difference in up front payment.

Alternatively, we could have just bought Toney instead of Hugill and the Polish De Waard. Both useless and a million light years away from being Premier League standard, the Polish lampost offered nothing last season and we'd have coped just fine without. 

Bare in mind that last summer (post relegation) we paid fees for 5 permanent signings, and they collectively have 1 start between them in the league this season. Webber has often been vocal about the transfer business of the regime before him, but we're going into games with £16m worth of wingers sitting on the bench, at what point do we need to scrutinise the past three summer windows and start to ask some questions? 

You seem to forget the £35k pw Toney’s on apparently according to Darragh McAnthony.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

This is a new level of naive if people think Toney would have signed for us over Brentford as potentially second fiddle to Pukki. Alternatively we could have got rid of Pukki but since he'd scored 30 goals in the Championship and 11 in the Prem whereas Toney had scored zero it hardly surprises me we didnt take that gamble.

You need more than one decent striker to survive in the premiership. 

Our attack is not premiership class.  

14 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

You seem to forget the £35k pw Toney’s on apparently according to Darragh McAnthony.

This is exactly the point - if and until we have the resource to buy and pay the wages of PL quality players we will end up exactly where we deserve to be back in the chumps. And without any goodwill from the wider football community. A club seemingly happy to take the parachute payments but with no ambition to compete.

Hugill did alright for us last season, we needed a reserve striker and he didn't let us down, so why pay more? 

Both he and Placheta scored for us when we were not doing so well at the start of the season. 

Also I'm not keen on the way you say "Polish" as if it is some kind of insult. 

20 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

You need more than one decent striker to survive in the premiership. 

Our attack is not premiership class.  

But Toney wasn't available this summer. It was last summer, where we were in the championship. And like I say, we couldn't guarantee Toney would start every game and Brentford could. You appear to be moving the goalposts.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You appear to be moving the goalposts.

Moving the goalposts would be a good idea after yesterday. 

Forward to the penalty spot. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

But Toney wasn't available this summer. It was last summer, where we were in the championship. And like I say, we couldn't guarantee Toney would start every game and Brentford could. You appear to be moving the goalposts.

It’s a pretty ridiculous argument - we were never looking for a first choice striker last season, nor did we have the money, so he wouldn’t have come; ie he wasn’t an option. The argument is also a slightly weird one as we did also win the championship almost at a canter.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s a pretty ridiculous argument - we were never looking for a first choice striker last season, nor did we have the money, so he wouldn’t have come; ie he wasn’t an option. The argument is also a slightly weird one as we did also win the championship almost at a canter.

Exactly. This season we of course needed to strengthen in attack. We have done that with Sargent, Rashica and Tzolis. Theoretically anyway, or at the very least we have tried to. 

The only real argument is could we have instead signed a proven Premier League goalscorer instead of perhaps two of those three signings. I cant personally think of one we could have attracted but happy to be proven wrong.

11 hours ago, hogesar said:

Hard to throw the kitchen sink right now isn't it? You lot want to blame the others but we've signed players and spent money and we've not seen enough of them to know how every one Will work out, but its quite clear Webber has done a good job getting in PLM and Normann, who are now our two best midfielders. If we're lucky the rest of the signings will turn out trash and that should be enough to try and force Webber out of the club for some reason.

I suppose we could put all the blame on Farke but with Graham Potter being one of most highly regarded upcoming managers right now, having Brighton in 4th but Farke tactically getting it spot on, conceding few chances and creating the most guilt edge ones it might start to get tricky to fully blame him!

I have no desire to force either out but jets not pretend things have gone to plan so far this season. We are all over the place, have no settled team sbd have had to switch to a completely alien style of play that undermines many of our strengths because we can’t do basic defending. Farke is once again having a bit of a mare at premier league level, so far. 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I have no desire to force either out but jets not pretend things have gone to plan so far this season. We are all over the place, have no settled team sbd have had to switch to a completely alien style of play that undermines many of our strengths because we can’t do basic defending. Farke is once again having a bit of a mare at premier league level, so far. 

Yet he's only a point from Newcastle and Burnley, who both have exceptionally experienced Premier league managers who've had the benefit of multiple Premier League seasons consecutively, despite arguably a more difficult fixture list. Heck, he's only 4 points away from "one of the best in the world" Bielsa.