lake district canary

"A step in the right direction"

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Yeah its significant improvement from basically the lowest possible floor. Fine but still not something people are going to be thrilled by. 

Got to work with what we've got or been given though. We were hardly going to go from that diabolical start to cruising 3-0 against a team 6th in the league (although I maintain we had the best chances to possibly win that by a couple goals.)

we're bottom with 2 points from 8 games... until we win a couple of games I can't get too excited. That run of games after the Chelsea one simply has to result in a couple of wins or we're going to be eying up that record Derby set.

We won the league with 97 points last season, 2 points from 8 games is unacceptable. Raise your expectations.

• Like 1

5 at the back at home to a team playing 1 man up top and 35% possession. Chelsea up next so the step in the right direction lauded by some on here will come to a juddering halt next week.

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

5 at the back at home to a team playing 1 man up top and 35% possession. Chelsea up next so the step in the right direction lauded by some on here will come to a juddering halt next week.

Probably will, Tilly, it’s away at Chelsea after all, but I fail to see how keeping 2 clean sheets and getting at least some points on the board can be seen as a negative after playing the first X amount of games where we looked like we could concede every time the opposition attacked? I must admit I got a bit fed up with seeing constant tippy tippy out from the back, more often than not we didn’t look comfortable at all and you could sense the opposition would detect a weakness there whilst making the supporters nervous. So personally I’m delighted that we are starting to look a more robust unit now, and that to me is definitely taking a step in the right direction, I can’t really see how it can be anything but moving in a more promising direction surely? I also thought we looked a little bit more like our old selves on the counter attack in the second half anyway, which was again very encouraging. The lack of possession, or rather having a lesser amount than the opposition anyway, doesn’t really matter at all if we’re honest - how many games have we given it our all, dominated possession, and still taken a beating? In the Premier League, I’d suggest that has previously quite often been the norm in recent times, so I think we ourselves have proven therefore that dominating possession doesn’t mean 3 points, it’s more what you do with it of course. The more negative supporters (with respect to them) have never paid any attention or credit to games we’ve dominated and ‘played well’ but ultimately lost anyway so I don’t think it’s too much of a deal myself. We looked the more likely team to win today so I’m not downhearted, though I am concerned by Normann’s withdrawal late on, it looked like the wrong side of the precautionary mark to me and we really need him if we’re to spring any sort of a surprise at Stamford Bridge next weekend.

The improved defensive solidity is an improvement and a base to build from but the toothless attacking and the lack of support for Sargeant and Pukki from the rest of the team is the stuff relegation is made off. Brighton were a bit powderpuff upfront, leaving gaps at the back and were visibly tiring at the end of the game so were there for the taking. If Norwich are going to stay up, they have to take full advantage of opposition like Brighton were today,!

Edited by kingsway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Upo said:

Clean sheet against #4 club. You bet it's a step in the right direction.

You mean the "temporary #4 club"

Good start by Brighton but come the end of the season they will be nearer the bottom 4 and no doubt, most people, including you, would have had Brighton at home earmarked as as one of our easier games this season.

57 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Losing to Chelsea away from home has little effect on if we are heading in the right direction generally.

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

we're bottom with 2 points from 8 games... until we win a couple of games I can't get too excited. That run of games after the Chelsea one simply has to result in a couple of wins or we're going to be eying up that record Derby set.

We won the league with 97 points last season, 2 points from 8 games is unacceptable. Raise your expectations.

Had we stuck with last seasons team, like we did in our last premier league campaign then we’d be in a similar position to Brentford, as it is we decided to twist.

the squad saw a massive overhaul and we are now starting to see the team gel 

I’m the same as you but can see the bigger picture  

12 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

If that was the ‘right’ direction it can only lead downwards. Two goals in eight matches. Five at the back at home. 35% possession. Fiasco.

You talk as if ‘5 at the back’ means some sort of ultra defensive flat back 5. I think Aarons and Giannoulis would rightly disagree with your interpretation of their respective roles…

5 hours ago, daly said:

You aren’t Farke’s love child are you

More of a kindred spirit maybe 🙂. I actually started this thread before I had heard what he said and only added the quote marks and Farke reference after I heard his after match comments, but it surely is clear to anyone that has a brain that this was a step in our evolution that bodes well.  Defensively good, not giving many clear cut chances to the opposition - and three or four clear sights on goal, which on another day would have got goals.  I get the disappointment that we didn't win, but there are positives to be had from today's performance and that is we what we have to take forwards. 

9 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

You talk as if ‘5 at the back’ means some sort of ultra defensive flat back 5. I think Aarons and Giannoulis would rightly disagree with your interpretation of their respective roles…

But Alex - we failed to score, and at home, once again. If the plan was some sort of attacking masterstroke it most clearly failed. I don’t blame Webber, Farke or the players - we simply lack quality - that responsibility sits with the board and its business model.

Edited by Highland Canary

14 hours ago, lake district canary said:

A lot of negative posts on here this evening and just wanted to address that with this thread. "Step in the right direction" (as Farke has just said) sums it up for me.  Disappointing to miss those two or three clear chances, but still a point and a chance to build on that in the coming weeks.

OTBC

Us, Watford and Burnley are terrible and deserve to go down. We are 2 wins adrift of safety and we won't make that up. At least we aren't losing by 3 goals every week which is progress but only to stop being a complete embarrassment. After the first 6 games i'm glad with the progress but we will still fall well short. I like you optimism though

17 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

But Alex - we failed to score, and at home, once again. If the plan was some sort of attacking masterstroke it most clearly failed. I don’t blame Webber, Farke or the players - we simply lack quality - that responsibility sits with the board and its business model.

I do blame Farke a bit this season. He’s got an awful lot wrong so far and the defending is/was a coaching issue. 

There are signs of hope in terms of our new found solidity, but has come at the expense of creativity. The are rare moments of excitement when we go direct and hit teams on the counter, but generally it's a tough watch.

Farke is doing what any new manager would do as a first step in making us difficult to beat. The next step has to come pretty quickly though, and we simply have to win a match.

Next up at home is Leeds, lose that and I think the atmosphere and support to Farke will change. There are key matches coming up in November/December where we need 3 or more wins and a couple of draws.

You get less chances at this level. For example, Sargent under hit his shot. I thought that summed up the difference for me. I am not picking on him but I would suggest that most teams would have converted that sort of scoring opportunity. So yes we were not as bad in the past two games but are we good enough?

7 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

You get less chances at this level. For example, Sargent under hit his shot. I thought that summed up the difference for me. I am not picking on him but I would suggest that most teams would have converted that sort of scoring opportunity. So yes we were not as bad in the past two games but are we good enough?

100%.

The simple answer is NO!

Actually, if you look at the performances and the stats, there is a very strong argument that says rather than a step in the right direction against Burnley & Brighton, we've actually gone backwards from the games against Leicester, Arsenal and to a lesser extent, Watford, but at least we did score from open play against them.

We played reasonably well against both Leicester and Arsenal and, with the rub of the green and a bit more luck, we could have easily got a result against both. A draw against these 2 stronger Clubs would have made 0-0 draws against Burnley & Brighton seem disappointing rather than positive.

Fixture H/A Possession Shots  On Target  Corners

Leicester H 44% 14 4 9
Arsenal A 48% 10 1 4
Watford  H 49% 12 5 4
Burnley  A 44% 10 2 5
Brighton H 35% 15 3 8

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

5 at the back at home

At least a third of the league are doing this including beloved Brentford and the Champions League holders.

It's not free flowing yet but it's also 3 games in to playing a new sytstem.

I genuinely don't get why pewople expect instant results.

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

At least a third of the league are doing this including beloved Brentford and the Champions League holders.

It's not free flowing yet but it's also 3 games in to playing a new sytstem.

I genuinely don't get why pewople expect instant results.

When Chelsea line up with 3 at the back and attack teams it is a back 3, when we do it, it quickly becomes a back 5 and remains that way. Without the bodies in midfield areas the ability to either press or counter attack with pace and directness is lost. For us it’s a defensive formation and the system played last year with one or two significant upgrades in personal was what most were expecting and hoping for more than instant results from a new system.

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I do blame Farke a bit this season. He’s got an awful lot wrong so far and the defending is/was a coaching issue. 

Me too. If your system is so flawed you have to rip it up and start again 5 games in thats a coaching problem. So I'm not buying the whole 'its a new system, time to gel' excuse because all that is showing is how flawed the coaching has been so far this season. 

As for Webber, its noticeable we're talking about our top performers being PLM, Normann and Kabak, all players he recruited this summer. I think he's done his job of improving the squad. Farke hasn't done his thus far. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Me too. If your system is so flawed you have to rip it up and start again 5 games in thats a coaching problem. So I'm not buying the whole 'its a new system, time to gel' excuse because all that is showing is how flawed the coaching has been so far this season. 

As for Webber, its noticeable we're talking about our top performers being PLM, Normann and Kabak, all players he recruited this summer. I think he's done his job of improving the squad. Farke hasn't done his thus far. 

Yes I would agree that two loan spots especially seem to have been used well but you also have to say for balance, Webber sold Farke’s best player and number 10 and hasn’t replaced him leaving the manager with potentially good wingers in a system that doesn’t use them.

4 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

When Chelsea line up with 3 at the back and attack teams it is a back 3, when we do it, it quickly becomes a back 5 and remains that way. Without the bodies in midfield areas the ability to either press or counter attack with pace and directness is lost. For us it’s a defensive formation and the system played last year with one or two significant upgrades in personal was what most were expecting and hoping for more than instant results from a new system.

I'm firmly of the belief that we're building this system from the foundations up and we are only sacrificing the attacking aspect of the game momentarily. It's identical to the beginning of last season where we tweaked the system and found ourselves only scoring 1 a game. The more they train and play it the more fluid it will become, the more confident they are playing it the more goals will come. I'm also expecting a Cantwell/Tzolis/Rashica to enter the game in the not too distant future. Stopping the rot is the important thing right now and Farke has responded.

I don't know about everyone else but the summer window suggested to me that we were going to be changing shape. The fact Normann isn't a defensive midfielder and the attacking recruits weren't similar to Buendia made me think counter attack.

4 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Yes I would agree that two loan spots especially seem to have been used well but you also have to say for balance, Webber sold Farke’s best player and number 10 and hasn’t replaced him leaving the manager with potentially good wingers in a system that doesn’t use them.

That is true but again I put some of that back on Farke. He cant balance the team and thus ends up with a system designed not to concede that hurts the chances of players like Tzolis and Cantwell. 

My hope is post Chelsea we start to get a bit more adventurous in midfield even if we keep the back 3, ie Cantwell in for McLean or Tzolis/Rashica and Cantwell flanking Pukki.