Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Well that was cack

47 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

And if Maupay had scored late on etc. What would we have been saying?

That's just as likely as Teemu or Sargent scoring one of their other excellent chances.

The Sargent open goal was on a completely different level. I'd have fancied my chances from that position (& I remember rationing ...)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Better not solid. Brighton created chances in the first half.

Definitely solid. Krul had one big save to make. At this level that's solid. You will never stop a good Premier League team from creating anything 

35 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Brentford and Watford didn't get promoted and base their style of play on slow possession based football though. Watford play the type of defensive, fast counter attacking style that works at this level, Brentford are more adventurous but still defend in numbers when they need to and break forward quickly. Both these teams can do this because they have attributes that we don't. They are much faster, athletic teams with players who are good on the break. They have players who can take a man on to beat a press and they have really pacy dangerous forward options who can create chances from nothing. We don't. (Maybe Rashica and Tzolis will come to the fore here hopefully, but they're clearly not settled yet)

We got promoted by playing a passing game, our build up was slow and patient and through Buendia and his link up with Pukki being a bit of a cheat code at that level just blew inferior teams away. That style of play doesn't transfer well to a team that finds itself in a better league where they suddenly have inferior players to the opposition as we saw I'm 19/20 (thank you @TESCO ) we also don't have Buendia anymore or Skipp who were both key to how we played that formation. I don't think it will work based on the evidence I've seen In our last attempt at this level. We had to change our approach this year and we have to accept that we can't impose our style of play on the opposition because like it or not we're not as good as they are.

Again, that's nonsense. 

We only played the slow possession game against the teams who parked the bus. The vast majority of our goals came from rapid transitions where we won the ball and cut through teams.

The system in 19/20 was different with just one holding midfielder. We adapted it for 20/21 by dropping another player deeper and coaching the wide midfielders to defend better. Having 3 attacking midfielders was absolutely integral to the way we created chances.

Our attack is hardly lacking in pace. We just don't have the right players in the right positions to hurt the opposition. And we've abandoned the highly effective double pivot in midfield. The ridiculous 4-3-3 destroyed both our defensive security and our attacking threat. The 5-3-2 fixes the former by completely abandoning the latter.

If we don't have the right players to play that system then it's a damning indictment of the recruitment, having broken the transfer record 3 times this summer in spending over £50m.

Today’s performance and result in isolation would be fine. But given where we are a draw us by really enough from another game we really could have won. I can’t help but feel that if we went for it a bit more in some of these games we would win some, lose some but at least come out with a few wins. Because if this I find it hard to watch us play this stifled style of play.

Normann and a clean sheet the positives. We are also looking more competitive.

one point I would make is if we are going to play this conservative and slightly turgid style of play then we need to be clinical and we also need up up our game from set pieces. The amount of poor balls in today from good positions was criminal.

we are improving but all things considered I’d prefer us to revert back to our usual style. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Definitely solid. Krul had one big save to make. At this level that's solid. You will never stop a good Premier League team from creating anything 

I remember two saves of note.

2 hours ago, Olano said:

Nordman Will onely sign if we stay in this leage. If we go down he Will onely be a expensive Lone that have mede Sørensen lose all confidence in him self

I’m not entirely sure what you’re trying to say there Olano, you sound like you want us to start playing Lungi now in preparation for life back in the Championship?! I dont think we can really blame Normann for being better than Lungi, can we? (if indeed that’s the case). There could be many factors why Lungi hasn’t broken through, including long Covid etc, but assuming it’s based on what Farke sees in training then if Normann is better than Lungi, and I would suggest that is the case, then you play Normann! At the end of the day, the mission is to stay in the Premier League and if loan players help us achieve that and ultimately earn a permanent move here at the end of it then I really cannot understand what the problem with that is.

4 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

"I’d rather lose and feel we went for it"

I wouldn't and that mentality completely baffles me. 18/19 wasn't fun was it? I'd rather see us fight and compete than meekly let the opposition play through us, constantly give away soft goals, lose every midfield battle, lose every header, get bullied and spanked off the pitch by trying to play insane, idealistic football with a team of small, slow players constantly giving the ball away with daft, lackadaisical flicks and an unnecessary amount of short sideways passes. 

Against the dross in the Championship it works fine, at the top level it completely falls apart at every level with the quality of player we can afford and that's not an opinion

Nail hit firmly on the head.

Today was our best performance BUT Brighton were there for the taking and Norwich didn't which is why we will almost certainly get relegated!

Dreadful finishing undone us today and only Brighton hitting the post and also missing a sitter preventing another miserable defeat!  

22 minutes ago, kingsway said:

Dreadful finishing undone us today and only Brighton hitting the post and also missing a sitter preventing another miserable defeat!  

So basically both teams in terms of finishing were a complete much of a muchness then? 

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

So basically both teams in terms of finishing were a complete much of a muchness then? 

Brighton were unlucky when they hit the post and the sitter was one of them split second chances that are harder to convert than what they look. Sargeants woeful effort when in on an open goal was dreadful!

Edited by kingsway

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Today’s performance and result in isolation would be fine. But given where we are a draw us by really enough from another game we really could have won. I can’t help but feel that if we went for it a bit more in some of these games we would win some, lose some but at least come out with a few wins. Because if this I find it hard to watch us play this stifled style of play.

Normann and a clean sheet the positives. We are also looking more competitive.

one point I would make is if we are going to play this conservative and slightly turgid style of play then we need to be clinical and we also need up up our game from set pieces. The amount of poor balls in today from good positions was criminal.

we are improving but all things considered I’d prefer us to revert back to our usual style. 

A good post. But I think if we reverted back to our usual style we’d get mullered and then people would be complaining about not being defensive enough. I still think it’s 2 points gained. We could have no points on the board and our defence zero confidence. If we can hold out against a team sitting 4th right now with a clean sheet then we must be doing something right. Farke’s had to re work an entire midfield and be less porous. Which we’re doing. My fear lies with the attacking intent, but horses for courses, we might see a more attacking verve against Chelsea given we’re not likely to win. 

Had we of lost today against “winnable” Brighton what would people have said?! It’d be hell on here tonight. 

If we'd produced the Watford performance against Brighton today, there wouldn't have been a filtration system good enough on here. Not even Tinshein swimming pool had a system good enough, and that was a "marvel to behold".

5 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Our football is not good enough for this league. We will go down rock bottom. And it’s boring and predictable to watch. 

Best game of the season so far, enjoyed it

36 minutes ago, kingsway said:

Brighton were unlucky when they hit the post and the sitter was one of them split second chances that are harder to convert than what they look. Sargeants woeful effort when in on an open goal was dreadful!

I’m not buying that Brighton’s missed opportunities were down to bad luck and all of ours were just poorly executed, you’re basically giving Brighton credit for *also* being woeful in front of goal today. Yes, Sargent should have hit it harder and didn’t take his chance, just as Brighton should have been more accurate and not hit the woodwork. As I say much of a muchness, both sides finishing was poor - trying to make out we were cr@p whilst they were just unlucky is ridiculous.

Edited by Alex Moss

13 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Best game of the season so far, enjoyed it

Yeah I'm a bit surprised, well not when you consider the posters, but you get my point. 

We created nothing against Burnley and barely put any really good moves together. This time against a better side we created considerably more, and more importantly we created several really good chances by Premier League standards, and for once we didnt compromise defensive stability to do it.

If fans thought one draw away to Burnley would suddenly give the team confidence to switch to a 4 2 3 1, defend well and score a few goals against a good Brighton side then I think that lends itself more to the delusion that the Premier League is actually easy.

We had an awful start to the season lending itself mostly to the fixtures we were given,  the lack of pre season we had due to covid (no, other clubs didn't have this the same, we had to cancel two friendlies for crying out loud), poor individual mistakes and late signings.

We need to build the confidence back up and in the mean time, if a Rashica, Tzolis or Cantwell get some minutes off the bench they need to show something more than the players they're replacing. Same goes for Gilmour. There was quite a clamour for him to come in to the team today but I have to say Normann, PLM and McLean done well, particularly second half. For me PLM was comfortably MOTM ahead of Normann, id have put Hanley ahead too. McLeans place is probably most up for grabs but Gilmour will have to show a willingness and an engine to cover for when Gianoulis is high up the pitch. If he can do that then he could displace Kenny.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I’m not buying that Brighton’s missed opportunities were down to bad luck and all of ours were just poorly executed, you’re basically giving Brighton credit for *also* being woeful in front of goal today. Yes, Sargent should have hit it harder and didn’t take his chance, just as Brighton should have been more accurate and not hit the woodwork. As I say much of a muchness, both sides finishing was poor - trying to make out we were cr@p whilst they were just unlucky is ridiculous.

Sargeants effort when faced with an open goal was cr*p, harsh but true!

Brighton were pretty much very powderpuff going forward like I've said in another thread but were a bit unlucky with the effort that struck the post and the sitter they missed  was one of them split second ones that are often missed but Sargeants effort is one of the worst attempts on goal I've ever seen in my lengthy time spectating at Norwich games!

I can't see where any of the above is ridiculous?

Bottom line is that today was a very winnable game against an underperforming team we were getting the better off but we drew! - Unfortunately that is relegation form!   

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

I’m not entirely sure what you’re trying to say there Olano, you sound like you want us to start playing Lungi now in preparation for life back in the Championship?! I dont think we can really blame Normann for being better than Lungi, can we? (if indeed that’s the case). There could be many factors why Lungi hasn’t broken through, including long Covid etc, but assuming it’s based on what Farke sees in training then if Normann is better than Lungi, and I would suggest that is the case, then you play Normann! At the end of the day, the mission is to stay in the Premier League and if loan players help us achieve that and ultimately earn a permanent move here at the end of it then I really cannot understand what the problem with that is.

I do agree with you. He is a good player. And if we want to stay in PL he have to play.

Im also a suporter og Bodø/Glimt and dont have great memories aboute Nordmann. (So yes im a bit negative aboute him)

We have to stopp dreaming aboute him staying if we go down. (If he have not changed his personalety alot, and he onely wanted to come on a lone) . So when/if we know we will go down, then play players that will stay here next season.

Its easyer to geth exited for players you know will stay and fight (ore we will geth money from), not a player that will go back to Russia for 1 week and then sign for an other topp club in Europe.

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yeah I'm a bit surprised, well not when you consider the posters, but you get my point. 

We created nothing against Burnley and barely put any really good moves together. This time against a better side we created considerably more, and more importantly we created several really good chances by Premier League standards, and for once we didnt compromise defensive stability to do it.

If fans thought one draw away to Burnley would suddenly give the team confidence to switch to a 4 2 3 1, defend well and score a few goals against a good Brighton side then I think that lends itself more to the delusion that the Premier League is actually easy.

We had an awful start to the season lending itself mostly to the fixtures we were given,  the lack of pre season we had due to covid (no, other clubs didn't have this the same, we had to cancel two friendlies for crying out loud), poor individual mistakes and late signings.

We need to build the confidence back up and in the mean time, if a Rashica, Tzolis or Cantwell get some minutes off the bench they need to show something more than the players they're replacing. Same goes for Gilmour. There was quite a clamour for him to come in to the team today but I have to say Normann, PLM and McLean done well, particularly second half. For me PLM was comfortably MOTM ahead of Normann, id have put Hanley ahead too. McLeans place is probably most up for grabs but Gilmour will have to show a willingness and an engine to cover for when Gianoulis is high up the pitch. If he can do that then he could displace Kenny.

Another clean sheet, we are creating chances and some good individual performances. To be honest I am happy to see progress, the crowd were really behind us today and I do wonder how many of the really negative posters were actually there today, we are going to need the crowd and on todays performance the fans are with us.

• Like 1