Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Waiting for Ricardo

I have read many posts on here (and elsewhere) and they mainly seem to be of the doom and gloom variety. As I didn't attend today's match, I'm waiting for the authoritative report from Ricardo before I add my tuppence worth.

What I will say however, is that the "mob" with Jeff Stelling and including have become poor value for the amount one spends on the subscription fees. They appeared as arrogant know-it-alls even before kick off, all saying that Gilmour should never have come to us - and the worst culprit was that failed ex Spurs manager, Tim Sherwood, who seems to forget that Norwich gave him his chance of getting into the "big time" clubs (are the likes of him and Andy Townsend trying to erase their Carrow Road tenure from their CV's?).

You can moan about the pundits but we are bringing all this criticism on ourselves. We’ve stank this league out. Play well on the pitch and we shut them up. It’s that simple 

Wait till the Reverend Lineker and the BBC pundits get started tonight 

Ricardo: “as I finished the last of my strawberry preserves and adorned my bowler hat I reflected on the leaves beginning to change on this fine morrow and, twirling my cane gaily, I sauntered my way to the ground, whistling “it’s a long way to Tipperary” as I went”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

You can moan about the pundits but we are bringing all this criticism on ourselves. We’ve stank this league out. Play well on the pitch and we shut them up. It’s that simple 

Rubbish. I haven’t heard one pundit actually talk realistically about us and the challenge we have, the changes we’ve made, the disruption to our pre season (yet they talked about Newcastle’s/Chelsea’s) or give us any credit when due (albeit there hasn’t been much due). It’s lazy journalism where the focus is the top 6 and the surprise packages (Brentford).

Everyones second team have been woeful defensively this season yet the lords of football knowledge all fall over themselves at how great they are.

There are some that actually watch our games, research us and therefore talk some sense but unfortunately all of those that I’ve found are on podcasts that not widely heard.

Just now, Fiery Zac said:

Rubbish. I haven’t heard one pundit actually talk realistically about us and the challenge we have, the changes we’ve made, the disruption to our pre season (yet they talked about Newcastle’s/Chelsea’s) or give us any credit when due (albeit there hasn’t been much due). It’s lazy journalism where the focus is the top 6 and the surprise packages (Brentford).

Everyones second team have been woeful defensively this season yet the lords of football knowledge all fall over themselves at how great they are.

There are some that actually watch our games, research us and therefore talk some sense but unfortunately all of those that I’ve found are on podcasts that not widely heard.

I think your opinions are very much through yellow tinted specs. 

9 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I think your opinions are very much through yellow tinted specs. 

Such a lazy argument. I’ve explained my reasoning. Maybe I’ve missed the pundits that have talked about the issues we’ve faced. Maybe I’m being unreasonable in expecting it. But as a fan of the club I know what we’re facing and have criticised at times and given credit when due. Why shouldn’t I expect the same from the so called experts??

I can bet now that when we get a win they’ll be positivity and praise. Well, in my opinion there has been some praise, and more importantly context due already. That we have got none and just the continued critisism is sad and just smacks of poor punditry. It’s not just us, proper analysis is hard to find and that’s why I keep away from the mainstream. It’s clickbait nonsense 90% of the time. Listen and read those that are actually doing it for the love of the sport, there’s the insight.

Edited by Fiery Zac

28 minutes ago, daly said:

Wait till the Reverend Lineker and the BBC pundits get started tonight

Depends who is on, but really all they get is one line to describe our matches when they are 0-0's. I expect the line will be "must take your chances" - which actually would sum it up pretty well.  If they say anything negative or derogartory in hopeless Keown mode, then that will be poor journalism/reporting.

1 hour ago, ABC (A Basingstoke Canary) said:

I have read many posts on here (and elsewhere) and they mainly seem to be of the doom and gloom variety. As I didn't attend today's match, I'm waiting for the authoritative report from Ricardo before I add my tuppence worth.

What I will say however, is that the "mob" with Jeff Stelling and including have become poor value for the amount one spends on the subscription fees. They appeared as arrogant know-it-alls even before kick off, all saying that Gilmour should never have come to us - and the worst culprit was that failed ex Spurs manager, Tim Sherwood, who seems to forget that Norwich gave him his chance of getting into the "big time" clubs (are the likes of him and Andy Townsend trying to erase their Carrow Road tenure from their CV's?).

So you take one opinion over many?

Having read Ricardo's report, actually yes, as his opinion over the years has been fair and insightful without any histrionics. 

So a fair reflection from one attendee vs the ramblings of those paid to be contentious.

Also, disappointed with Sue Smith. Initially she reported that it didn't look like a penalty but after Stelling's rantings, she saw which side her bread was buttered on and changed her tune in the summary after the game.

6 minutes ago, ABC (A Basingstoke Canary) said:

Having read Ricardo's report, actually yes, as his opinion over the years has been fair and insightful without any histrionics. 

So a fair reflection from one attendee vs the ramblings of those paid to be contentious.

Also, disappointed with Sue Smith. Initially she reported that it didn't look like a penalty but after Stelling's rantings, she saw which side her bread was buttered on and changed her tune in the summary after the game.

When we were last in this league var gives that penalty every time. Had the referee awarded it var would not have overturned the decision as there was definite contact. If it had been at the other end then we’d have been screaming for it 

Edited by Virtual reality

2 hours ago, ABC (A Basingstoke Canary) said:

Thanks for that ABC

In a nutshell a deserved point that with just a touch more good fortune could have been 3.

I still haven't seen the VAR but I was fairly close to it and was somewhat surprised it wasn't given.

Sargent really should have netted so that evens things out.

Brighton are a better side than many on here seem to realise Defensively very strong and Maupay will always score a few.

I am still not downhearted.😀

3 hours ago, ABC (A Basingstoke Canary) said:

I really don't get they hate us attitude. Just because we don't agree with them doesn't mean to say they are against us. That really is a lil ole Narge outlook. Chris Sutton has defended us to the hilt but he also blasts us when we are poor. That is called being fair.

• Like 1