Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't disagree with what you are saying, although Sargent is very young and will improve (could argue it was the wrong season to buy a rough diamond).

But.... high goalscorers in lesser leagues... that's what we did with Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel wasn't it. 

Hooper wasn't a complete disgrace, especially considering he had to play in a negative Hughton system, but Van Wolfswinkel was utter dogsh*t and I definitely wouldn't swap him for Sargent. 

Very True Van Wofswinkel was not suited to English Football a scout told me that before we signed him and i posted it on here at the time 

i still think in a Different team say a Tottenham where he got a lot of chances wolfie would have scored goals

As for Sargent he is young and he might well come good , i was hoping this was Idah's break through season i really thought he had everything but sadly i think he needs a season on loan 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Very True Van Wofswinkel was not suited to English Football a scout told me that before we signed him and i posted it on here at the time 

i still think in a Different team say a Tottenham where he got a lot of chances wolfie would have scored goals

As for Sargent he is young and he might well come good , i was hoping this was Idah's break through season i really thought he had everything but sadly i think he needs a season on loan 

I'm disappointed that the Premier League and its global audience is being deprived of Jordan Hugill's guile and finesse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well he won't do that ever again, but the question will he ever get the opportunity, not in the PL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are talking about two touches. The first to bang the goal in and the second when played through which took him wide. We could be talking about two goals.  How fine the margins are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not sure what the point of this thread is. We're all disappointed but Josh knows he should put that away. Pukki could have done better a number of times this season and after his international week his confidence should be high. Josh has made a split second decision and opted to go first time. If he'd have smashed it it could have gone wide and he was perhaps frightened to miss. He chose the wrong option and should have run in on goal but he opted to shoot and not hesitate. A confident striker with composure would have buried it. Josh is still young and finding his way in English football, we shouldnt necessarily expect him to have either when it is not based on anything, ie a good scoring run.

Hopefully he will have a positive reaction and be determined not to miss a chance like that again.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Very True Van Wofswinkel was not suited to English Football a scout told me that before we signed him and i posted it on here at the time 

i still think in a Different team say a Tottenham where he got a lot of chances wolfie would have scored goals

As for Sargent he is young and he might well come good , i was hoping this was Idah's break through season i really thought he had everything but sadly i think he needs a season on loan 

 

 

I also think RvW would have scored goals if he was at a top team. A luxury player. Totally the wrong type of player to 'upgrade' Holt with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mastoola said:

We are talking about two touches. The first to bang the goal in and the second when played through which took him wide. We could be talking about two goals.  How fine the margins are.

Indeed. His first touch prevented him scoring in the other chance. If that is the quality of his first touch then no reason to expect he would have scored if he'd taken one and run in on goal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm disappointed that the Premier League and its global audience is being deprived of Jordan Hugill's guile and finesse. 

Makes you wonder how Hugill partnering Pukki would be going if we're playing two up front

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Indeed. His first touch prevented him scoring in the other chance. If that is the quality of his first touch then no reason to expect he would have scored if he'd taken one and run in on goal

Could it be a confidence thing? maybe a psychologist would help? if we can get him hitting the target he would be some player.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion for what it's worth, we have one striker who I have any faith in. One striker who has done it before to a certain level in a struggling team. The problem is we have signed players that from what I have seen don't suit his style of play. We are stuck in a horrible position. Play Pukki but don't play the way that gets anything out of him as we didn't sign players to compliment him or play Sergeant who's goal scoring record is abject to say the least. One goal from open play says it all. I will admit I'm always a glass half empty person but the liquid is evaporating with every game. My best mate is a Watford fan and he has enough problems at the moment but when asked who he would take from our team he said Pukki without hesitation. On TNC the Brighton fan said the same but to be honest he didn't know many of our players. If we can't get Pukki the service then we are looking at a very very long season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The miss was bad, but it wasn't shockingly bad. He probably could have taken no more than few steps and the defense would've been on him. He should've taken those steps obviously, but he couldn't have walked it in. He obviously misjudged the power, but his aim was on target.

Meanwhile Brighton missed great chances too. It was a decent result for Norwich. Sargent needs to do some target practice and scoring like Teemu did last season when he wasn't doing so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well when your marquee attacking signing is somebody who scored 15 goals in 83 games in Germany, and was just relegated from a weaker league, are you expecting them to be any good? 

That said, Armstrong is yet to get going at Southampton, in fact was dropped today after 1 goal in 7, I'm not sure there was an obvious signing from the league below this time.

Our marquee signing is on the bench and being snubbed by Farke when we could do with him up there next to Pukki 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chicken said:

Not even close. He was said to be £7-8m. Let's remember though, he's only 21, and has looked short of confidence at times this season. He's one of those players who will get better with a couple of goals behind him. Until then it'll be a bit of torture until he does. Feel for him really. Everything else he is doing is helping the team massively. 

Bless him. It’s okay, there’s still another thirty games this season for him to find his Premier League shooting boots and it’s not like we’re crying out for goals or points just yet so there’s plenty of time to sit and wait…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

Very True Van Wofswinkel was not suited to English Football a scout told me that before we signed him and i posted it on here at the time 

i still think in a Different team say a Tottenham where he got a lot of chances wolfie would have scored goals

As for Sargent he is young and he might well come good , i was hoping this was Idah's break through season i really thought he had everything but sadly i think he needs a season on loan 

 

RvW was never and will never be a Premier League goalscorer.

I know bigger teams looked at him before us but its also incredibly clear why none of them took a punt on him. Apart from maybe being a decent finisher he didn't have any of the other attributes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, hogesar said:

RvW was never and will never be a Premier League goalscorer.

I know bigger teams looked at him before us but its also incredibly clear why none of them took a punt on him. Apart from maybe being a decent finisher he didn't have any of the other attributes.

He was not the right striker for us 100 % But another team i still think he could done a job in the PL not as a lone striker like many teams have now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Clever Farke said:

There should be detention in the soccerbot first thing tomorrow morning for Sargent. 

500 open goal finishes before he's allowed out

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm disappointed that the Premier League and its global audience is being deprived of Jordan Hugill's guile and finesse. 

Hugill would have been more effective than Idah!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yella Army said:

We totally fleeced Newcastle with Murphy and Lewis and let's be honest we all loved it.... But this summer, Werder Bremen have well and truly fleeced us! 20m or so on Rashica and Sargeant?! Oh my days..

Yeah it's just what I was thinking , I don't think will be fleecing them anymore though sadly..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sargent is young and needs time - Farke has said as such, but he was still very good through the match in all other aspects. Not much help, but Pukki could have done better on his two main chances too....the one he tried to dink looked a certain goal when we've seen him score like that so many times - even now every time I look at it I think it's a goal.   It's a confidence thing - we are now doing a lot right all over the pitch - we just need a goal - a deflection, a penalty, one in off someone's backside....anything, just tio get us going.

Sargent and Idah have goals in them - and Pukki of course - and we still have Rashica and Tzolis who will contribute too. Still early days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel like he didn't want to miss, hence probably over thinking it and therefore we got a weak shot on target. An on form or confident player would have laced it into the net. Pains me to say it but I pictured Emi being in that situation after, pretty sure he would have lapped that chance up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sargent can't really be blamed for yesterday. 

Before he came here, we knew he run around alot, helped with defending and was very energetic yet failed to score goals or create assists.

That's why he had been playing in midfield rather than as a striker.

For us to suddenly expect him to set up Pukki for goals or to score a serious amount himself is rather strange. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 16/10/2021 at 21:09, The Great Mass Debater said:

Im not sure what the point of this thread is. We're all disappointed but Josh knows he should put that away. Pukki could have done better a number of times this season and after his international week his confidence should be high. Josh has made a split second decision and opted to go first time. If he'd have smashed it it could have gone wide and he was perhaps frightened to miss. He chose the wrong option and should have run in on goal but he opted to shoot and not hesitate. A confident striker with composure would have buried it. Josh is still young and finding his way in English football, we shouldnt necessarily expect him to have either when it is not based on anything, ie a good scoring run.

Hopefully he will have a positive reaction and be determined not to miss a chance like that again.

Or caught in two minds hence an undercooked shot which was only considered in a split second when an additional touch semi-lost out.

A goal will do him a world of good with his confidence. Same with Pukki really. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/10/2021 at 21:18, mastoola said:

Could it be a confidence thing? maybe a psychologist would help? if we can get him hitting the target he would be some player.

 

I think if he watched a video of Vardy goals on loop for a week it might help with Power and Precision. His effort had neither. He’ll learn from it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's face it, it was a terrible miss that cost us 2 points. He could have followed the ball in but he looked like he was on his way to celebrate. Doesn't seem to have the striker's instinct at the moment. I don't understand trying to justify his inclusion because he works hard, it's like having a goalie who can't keep the ball out of the net but takes good goal kicks. 

RVW scored on his debut and had assists but was ridiculed for a pass to nobody. Yesterday was worse, "that's why you're going down" said the Brighton fans. Sargent will get better but needs to be rested and hopefully be reintroduced into a winning side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

I think if he watched a video of Vardy goals on loop for a week it might help with Power and Precision. His effort had neither. He’ll learn from it.

 

Its a pity there are no Vardy videos of him playing at the same age 😕  The guy is young he needs time.

 

Edited by mastoola

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mastoola said:

Its a pity there are no Vardy videos of him playing at the same age 😕  The guy is young he needs time.

 

There are, even as a teenager, the point being that Vardy commits 100% to his striking of the ball. Kane and Bamford developed through the leagues and adapted and I have no doubt Sargent will as well. It’s a tough ask, but I hope he gets a tap in at Chelsea so he can move forward rather than dwell on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...