cambridgeshire canary

What was Sargent thinking?

You could literally put a fan in that position and they'd score. I'm 46 and 100% wouldn't miss that. Embarrassing 

I put that down to players struggling hugely with confidence. 

Im no happy clapper but don't want to make matters worse by getting on a players back.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

10 million pounds by the way

Check the midfield out first. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Cringey miss, but he's been one of our best performers this half. 

Was a mental thing I reckon, I have similar nightmares about missing open goals. 

2 hours ago, Orly said:

Cringey miss, but he's been one of our best performers this half. 

Was a mental thing I reckon, I have similar nightmares about missing open goals. 

After Normann he was our best performer out there today. Agree he should have buried that chance and also the one when Pukki slipped him in. But Pukki was guilty of hesitating on a couple of occasions also. Its what you get when you're a side trying to get a foothold in the toughest league in football and the lack of confidence is evident from all the players in the attacking third. Small shoots of progress though. At least we're making the chances.Feel we are not far away from where we want to be.I know its difficult to keep the faith,but its all we have at the moment and we have to believe we'll get there.Chelsea away? Strange things happen.🔰

• Like 2

Looked very much in the mindset of "I can't miss this" rather than confidently putting his foot through it and missing. Clearly desperate to score but would have liked to have seen a bit of premier league composure there. I'm glad the fans clapped him off, clearly a confidence player so hopefully he gets his goal soon

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I don't mean to laugh but that's all you can do I think 😂

If you don’t laugh you cry

We totally fleeced Newcastle with Murphy and Lewis and let's be honest we all loved it.... But this summer, Werder Bremen have well and truly fleeced us! 20m or so on Rashica and Sargeant?! Oh my days..

Edited by Yella Army

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think he was thinking "I'm going to dribble this up to the line, get on my knees and head it in"

Trying that would've been better than what he did. I don't think it was even going to reach regardless of the defender's intervention. Atrocious miss.

Behind many errors there's wrong judgement. He clearly had more time at his hand to take a proper shot, I guess he may have felt under more pressure than he actually was. But it was still ridiculous.   

There's a good reason why his goalscoring record hasn't been very glamorous so far in his short career. He is one that huffs and puffs and gets the crowd clapping. That is all. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Trying that would've been better than what he did. I don't think it was even going to reach regardless of the defender's intervention. Atrocious miss.

You're right, it would not even have crossed the line if everyone had stood still! Sargent was already wheeling away thinking of his celebration before he had even connected with the ball. It was 'atrocious' as you say. His second half miss sums up his goal scoring ability which is tantamount to zero. In mitigation there was a lot of hassling, hard work and some genuine quality on the ball. Thing is though I expected a NINE million pound striker to be able to score goals. Apparently not it seems?     

19 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

You're right, it would not even have crossed the line if everyone had stood still! Sargent was already wheeling away thinking of his celebration before he had even connected with the ball. It was 'atrocious' as you say. His second half miss sums up his goal scoring ability which is tantamount to zero. In mitigation there was a lot of hassling, hard work and some genuine quality on the ball. Thing is though I expected a NINE million pound striker to be able to score goals. Apparently not it seems?     

Would have been better buying a Striker from a lesser Division who has been scoring

i think it was Dean Ashton who said if you are a Goalscorer and you hit the ball in the corners of the Goal it does not matter what division you play in you will score   

Edited by norfolkngood
  • Like 1

Well when your marquee attacking signing is somebody who scored 15 goals in 83 games in Germany, and was just relegated from a weaker league, are you expecting them to be any good? 

That said, Armstrong is yet to get going at Southampton, in fact was dropped today after 1 goal in 7, I'm not sure there was an obvious signing from the league below this time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Would have been better buying a Striker from a lesser Division who has been scoring

I think comments like this command more respect if accompanied by suggestions.

Baring in mind that Pukki was the third top scorer in the Championship last season and a striker needed to be good enough to offer him competition. The two above him were Toney, who got promoted, and Armstrong who has yet to get going at Southampton.

The player immediately below was Kieffer Moore, a huge target man who doesn't fit our style at all (would be perfect for Burnley as a Chris Wood replacement though).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think comments like this command more respect if accompanied by suggestions.

Baring in mind that Pukki was the third top scorer in the Championship last season and a striker needed to be good enough to offer him competition. The two above him were Toney, who got promoted, and Armstrong who has yet to get going at Southampton.

The player immediately below was Kieffer Moore, a huge target man who doesn't fit our style at all (would be perfect for Burnley as a Chris Wood replacement though).

the point i was making someone who knows where the net is from a lesser league in Europe ,

Instead of someone who's History has shown is Not a Great Goal scorer ,

i lost touch with European leagues but as you point out Pukki had came from having scored 20 then 17 goals the two seasons before he joined us showing he at least could score goals 

But i do not know any Names sorry but must have been someone with a better goal scoring record out the for 10 mil

4 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

You could literally put a fan in that position and they'd score. I'm 46 and 100% wouldn't miss that. Embarrassing 

It would have to be battery driven 😑

Thought it was bad at the game, but having seen the replay it gets worse and worse.

He could have run the ball into the net.

3 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

I’ve seen enough middle aged men over the years trying and failing to score goals with no defenders in sight during the halftime entertainment to know that is not true 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

10 million pounds by the way

Not even close. He was said to be £7-8m. Let's remember though, he's only 21, and has looked short of confidence at times this season. He's one of those players who will get better with a couple of goals behind him. Until then it'll be a bit of torture until he does. Feel for him really. Everything else he is doing is helping the team massively. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, holt, who goes there? said:

The question is, should we replace Sargent with Idah/Rashica or stick with him?

Cantwell surely? 

6 goals in Prem last time out.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

30 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

the point i was making someone who knows where the net is from a lesser league in Europe ,

Instead of someone who's History has shown is Not a Great Goal scorer ,

i lost touch with European leagues but as you point out Pukki had came from having scored 20 then 17 goals the two seasons before he joined us showing he at least could score goals 

But i do not know any Names sorry but must have been someone with a better goal scoring record out the for 10 mil

I don't disagree with what you are saying, although Sargent is very young and will improve (could argue it was the wrong season to buy a rough diamond).

But.... high goalscorers in lesser leagues... that's what we did with Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel wasn't it. 

Hooper wasn't a complete disgrace, especially considering he had to play in a negative Hughton system, but Van Wolfswinkel was utter dogsh*t and I definitely wouldn't swap him for Sargent. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1