Herman

*****The Official Lapps Match Thread*****

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Most I think really appreciated the work done by Sargent today, left nothing on the pitch, not even a goal.

It's like small steps - and like any attacking player, needs a bit of confidence in going for goal. Small steps - and he is getting closer to scoring every match.  Overall, no complaints from me about him, just needs to get that confidence/steel when going for goal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Most I think really appreciated the work done by Sargent today, left nothing on the pitch, not even a goal.

He will have to go back to being Ronald MacDonald if he doesn't look out😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's like small steps - and like any attacking player, needs a bit of confidence in going for goal. Small steps - and he is getting closer to scoring every match.  Overall, no complaints from me about him, just needs to get that confidence/steel when going for goal.

How about skill and composure?

4 hours ago, Herman said:

I can only apologise and promise I haven't given up my day job......😀

As long as that’s not as a joke writer?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Two clean sheets in a row. Looking a bit more solid, but an area for concern is attacking set-pieces. We seemed to have a few good opportunities to load the box up and hit something dangerous, but corners often weren't beating the first man (an enduring problem regardless of who seems to be taking them) or crosses from deep or out wide were far too near the opposing goalie.

At least we don't seem to look like conceding on every counter-attack and the back three is working together better. We do look more durable down the centre of the park, but it has cost us some creativity.

I'll take a point though. It's a reminder to the lads that they can get points in this league. If we can't win, then don't lose. Confidence is embryonic, but it grows every time you avoid defeat and the lads will know they're getting closer.

Maybe you had to be at the game to really appreciate it, but the Brighton goalie played incredibly high up in his area. He was taking crosses anywhere between 12 and 18 yards off his line. We really weren't crossing too near to him - he was just incredibly quick and decisive at coming to get them. 

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:
5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

How about skill and composure?

You can't show skill and composure if you are lacking in confidence. His mindset has to be better - and he will know that and a big lesson for him today.   At Burnley he didn't really have any clear cut chances (that I remember) and I think this was the first game where he has been through on goal in any game he has played. Shame he couldn't have converted one of them, but I think he will learn from that.

17 hours ago, lake district canary said:

You can't show skill and composure if you are lacking in confidence. His mindset has to be better - and he will know that and a big lesson for him today.   At Burnley he didn't really have any clear cut chances (that I remember) and I think this was the first game where he has been through on goal in any game he has played. Shame he couldn't have converted one of them, but I think he will learn from that.

The problem is that that is the exact type of chance you have to score in order to build confidence, it was a total gift. He probably won’t have an easier chance to score all season.

Giannoulis free kicks were the very worst part of his performance not good enough.

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

The problem is that that is the exact type of chance you have to score in order to build confidence, it was a total gift. He probably won’t have an easier chance to score all season.

I don't think those chances are easy. A player full on confidence would have put it away without thinking about it, but Sargent is still very much feeling his way in and when the chance occurred, the goal probably looked to him as big as an ice hockey goal. As Farke has said, we can't afford ready made top class strikers - we have to make them and what was good, was that Sargent didn't let his head drop and carried on putting himself in the right positions - if he keeps doing that, he will start connecting better with the chances he gets. Everything else about him suggests he has the ability to do well at this level, just needs to grow into the task as the season progresses.

Just now, lake district canary said:

I don't think those chances are easy. A player full on confidence would have put it away without thinking about it, but Sargent is still very much feeling his way in and when the chance occurred, the goal probably looked to him as big as an ice hockey goal. As Farke has said, we can't afford ready made top class strikers - we have to make them and what was good, was that Sargent didn't let his head drop and carried on putting himself in the right positions - if he keeps doing that, he will start connecting better with the chances he gets. Everything else about him suggests he has the ability to do well at this level, just needs to grow into the task as the season progresses.

Ohhh come on, it was as much of a sitter as I have ever seen. He is a professional football player for god sake. It was so easy, I'd back myself to score that.

Does it make him a bad player, not necessarily, but it was truly grim.