Herman

*****The Official Lapps Match Thread*****

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

PreviewInstanceData?instanceDataJson=%7B%22instanceElements%22%3A%5B%7B%22instancePicture%22%3A%7B%22imageID%22%3A16076010%7D%2C%22instanceTexts%22%3A%5B%7B%22text%22%3A%22Laugh%3F%22%2C%22placeholder%22%3A%22top%20text%22%2C%22horizontalAlign%22%3A%22center%22%2C%22verticalAlign%22%3A%22near%22%2C%22color%22%3A%22%23ffffff%22%7D%2C%7B%22text%22%3A%22Groan%3F%22%2C%22placeholder%22%3A%22bottom%20text%22%2C%22horizontalAlign%22%3A%22center%22%2C%22verticalAlign%22%3A%22far%22%2C%22color%22%3A%22%23ffffff%22%7D%5D%7D%5D%7D

I can only apologise and promise I haven't given up my day job......😀

2nd half was a really solid display, we limited Brighton to very few good chances and I feel like we had the more gilt edged ones. If we could just find our shooting boots we could've won it. 

TWO GAMES UNBEATEN IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE

• Like 1

We look way more solid now. Kabak looks class. PLM best game yet. Another top stint for Normann. If only we could merge Idah and Sarg together. Sarg for his off the ball work and Idah for his finishing.

Just now, komakino said:

Morally if you play 5 at the back at home, you don't deserve to win. And we didn't. 

Concerning that we are already in danger of being cut adrift from safety as well. Four points is the gap and we’re away to Chelsea next. Had to win today with that as the next fixture 

Disclaimer:  I don't  have football knowledge like you guys, but am surprised by some of the brutal comments posted.  I know it's not easy being a supporter, after all I am a Wyoming Cowboy supporter too and have a generous supply of disappointment from that direction.  I will only say a supporter supports his team 🤨  

• Like 4

Much better second half. Though Rupp did his best to gift Maupay a goal at the end. 

On balance a draw was a fair result, but we've got to start taking the chances up front or we're toast.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jsim1986 said:

Where that highly offensive to disabled and retarded people, I would suggest you re word that. Secondly would you like to counter the argument. How does subbing on a young striker for 3 or 4 minutes most games in anyway help us or his development?

You changed the argument after merely saying "Farke is clueless".

Anyway, to humour the point, it was a blatantly obvious "fresh legs up top" substitution to maintain a "big guy, smaller guy" combination up top as Sargent had come off earlier. No doubt there was also an element of timewasting in it. The aim is to safeguard a point, or sneak a late winner with a little luck on the back of the fresh legs.

That's how it helps us. Although I do agree Idah needs a loan somewhere if this is what's happening.

Boring game. We had to win

We fighted well

Dont think Farke belive in his team.

Chelski Next.....

2 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Agreed. If Idah is the great hope why does he only get 88, 89, or 90th min appearances.

Tzolis must be wondering why he came 

3 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Agreed. If Idah is the great hope why does he only get 88, 89, or 90th min appearances.

Tzolis must be wondering why he came 

When did anyone say Idah was the great hope? Tzolis is probably wondering what he’s going to have for tea.  Don’t think Farke put a foot wrong today. Changes were made when players were exhausted. 

2 minutes ago, komakino said:

Morally if you play 5 at the back at home, you don't deserve to win. And we didn't. 

If you can't see or understand how much better this is tactically than what we saw in the first 5 games then you're kind of a lost cause in terms of understanding football. The problem is the quality of our players, if we could afford a 25m version of Sargent who could also finish and if we had some more height to compete for set pieces we probably would have won that game today despite it not being pretty. If we played 4231 or 433 and didn't have Sargent on the pitch as an out ball, an extra defender and 3 hard working midfielders we would have lost because we're not good enough to impose our game on other teams at this level, they would have pressed us to death and none of our attacking options would have been able to get into the game because we wouldn't have been able to get the ball to them outside of our own half. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Olano said:

Boring game. We had to win

We fighted well

Dont think Farke belive in his team.

Chelski Next.....

That wasn’t a boring game. Go watch the binners by way of comparison.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

far too timid for me when we combine it with getting annihilated by the big 6 and schooled by some of the more established sides.

Pros: A point against an in-form team, a clean sheet and a bit of character shown.

Cons: we barely look like scoring with Sargent and Pukki so isolated up top.

I'm more than happy to keep the same formation vs the bigger teams but we need to utilise Tzolis, Rashica and Cantwell more often after the Chelsea game. Our build up play seems to have gone backwards since 19/20 and it feels like we're now left with an attacking void.

Disappointing we couldnt put one away, but that's two games now where we've been the equal of our opponents. And this is a team that is being written off by pundits already. Last two games we have been much more solid at the back and thats where you build from. Aarons had a quiet game for him but he was probably told to be more disciplined. Giannoulis did well but looked tired at teh end. Hanley was great, much more convincing performance by Gibson. Kabak getting better with each game. Krul beginnning to look confident again. Far, far better game from Lees-Melou today. Normann I still think is our best player but not quite at the races today. Kenny steady. Pukki and Sargent did well but unfortunately not when it counted.

So disappointing we couldnt take all 3 given the gilt-edged chances we spurned, but on another day Brighton could have had a penalty and hit the woodwork.

Its progress. Definitely and two consecutive clean sheets gives us a platform. Unlikely to keep one at Chelsea but every motivation to put yet a further solid defensive shift in to keep it going.

Problem at the moment is lack of understanding. Farke ball was the epitome of team cohesion and the players had developed a great understanding. With the new players and the new system, that understanding is lacking at present. Our season may depend on how quickly that can develop.

Edited by The Great Mass Debater
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Going nowhere. Not even football the Norwich way anymore.

You must be at least 110 years old? What was the Norwich way in 1930? 

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

far too timid for me when we combine it with getting annihilated by the big 6 and schooled by some of the more established sides.

If we play like this we won’t get annihilated by anyone. We might draw 0-0 though 🧐

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

If you can't see or understand how much better this is tactically than what we saw in the first 5 games then you're kind of a lost cause in terms of understanding football. The problem is the quality of our players, if we could afford a 25m version of Sargent who could also finish and if we had some more height to compete for set pieces we probably would have won that game today despite it not being pretty. If we played 4231 or 433 and didn't have Sargent on the pitch as an out ball, an extra defender and 3 hard working midfielders we would have lost because we're not good enough to impose our game on other teams at this level, they would have pressed us to death and none of our attacking options would have been able to get into the game because we wouldn't have been able to get the ball to them outside of our own half. 

So what are you saying? All we can hope for is 0-0? The game was summed up for me in the last minute when Gibson couldn't pass the ball properly and gave Giannoulis an impossible ball that ran out of play. Simply not good enough.

Just now, Clever Farke said:

If we play like this we won’t get annihilated by anyone. We might draw 0-0 though 🧐

30 odd 0-0 draws and we may stay up.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CowboyCanary said:

Disclaimer:  I don't  have football knowledge like you guys, but am surprised by some of the brutal comments posted.  I know it's not easy being a supporter, after all I am a Wyoming Cowboy supporter too and have a generous supply of disappointment from that direction.  I will only say a supporter supports his team 🤨  

we're English, moaning makes us happy

2 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Disappointing we couldnt put one away, but that's two games now where we've been the equal of our opponents. And this is a team that is being written off by pundits already. Last two games we have been much more solid at the back and thats where you build from. Aarons had a quiet game for him but he was probably told to be more disciplined. Giannoulis did well but looked tired at teh end. Hanley was great, much more convincing performance by Gibson. Krul beginnning to look confident again. Far, far better game from Lees-Melou today. Normann I still think is our best player but not quite at the races today. Kenny steady. Pukki and Sargent did well but unfortunately not when it counted.

So disappointing we couldnt take all 3 given the gilt-edged chances we spurned, but on another day Brighton could have had a penalty and hit the woodwork.

Its progress. Definitely and two consecutive clean sheets gives us a platform. Unlikely to keep one at Chelsea but every motivation to put yet a further solid defensive shift in to keep it going.

Problem at the moment is lack of understanding. Farke ball was the epitome of team cohesion and the players had developed a great understanding. With the new players and the new system, that understanding is lacking at present. Our season may depend on how quickly that can develop.

I agree with a lot of that.

I do wonder about Normann's physical condition though. He's only managed to complete the full 90 minutes once and seems to go off injured after 75ish minutes with calf/cramp issues. I also seem to remember that he had issues last season so I hope the journos ask about it.

24 minutes ago, Jsim1986 said:

Lol Farke is a massive joke bringing off Pukki in the 89th minute for Idah, he is clueless

Farke needs †o read †he ma†ch better re; changing subs to control the tempo of the game and needs to give subs a chance to make a  difference by making the changing earlier 

3 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Disappointing we couldnt put one away, but that's two games now where we've been the equal of our opponents. And this is a team that is being written off by pundits already. Last two games we have been much more solid at the back and thats where you build from. Aarons had a quiet game for him but he was probably told to be more disciplined. Giannoulis did well but looked tired at teh end. Hanley was great, much more convincing performance by Gibson. Krul beginnning to look confident again. Far, far better game from Lees-Melou today. Normann I still think is our best player but not quite at the races today. Kenny steady. Pukki and Sargent did well but unfortunately not when it counted.

We had the balance right today. We desperately need to work on our set pieces though.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Clever Farke said:

That wasn’t a boring game. Go watch the binners by way of comparison.  

Its all aboute prespective. We can celebrate that we Are in this leage.

Well suported club with some great players

But I onely 1 time in this last to games belived we would score. I think 12 points is more realistic then 20 points.

If Farke trusted his players then he would have gamled in the end.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

So what are you saying? All we can hope for is 0-0? The game was summed up for me in the last minute when Gibson couldn't pass the ball properly and gave Giannoulis an impossible ball that ran out of play. Simply not good enough.

No, he's saying that we're evolving a Plan B / an ability to change their tactics instead of doing what we did in the Championship, which was 4-2-3-1 + Emi = beat nearly everyone black and blue (twice). A lot of fans have wondered where our Plan B is, and what you saw here was a team that, unlike the Championship season where we usually dominated possession, this time we were diligent out of possession and frankly, in that second half, Brighton did very little - and they are a side who really outplayed a good ball-playing side in Arsenal at the AMEX not long ago but somehow only drew 0-0.

You're also seeing a team that looked a bit dispirited and disjointed get some fight and resilience back.

One goal from open play and one from a penalty in 8 matches is atrocious. We’ll struggle to get to double figures for goals scored this season at this rate let alone points  

Edited by Virtual reality

Happy with back to back 0-0's against an inform Brighton a tricky/physical Burnley and possibly another 0-0 v Everton if it wasn't for the two silly mistakes. Whilst we are not creating ton's of chances, there has been moments. Agree with the posters above about needing to work on attacking set pieces.

and we have the season defining run coming up after Chelsea. (Leeds, Brentford, Southampton, Wolves, Newcastle)

15 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Disappointing we couldnt put one away, but that's two games now where we've been the equal of our opponents. And this is a team that is being written off by pundits already. Last two games we have been much more solid at the back and thats where you build from. Aarons had a quiet game for him but he was probably told to be more disciplined. Giannoulis did well but looked tired at teh end. Hanley was great, much more convincing performance by Gibson. Kabak getting better with each game. Krul beginnning to look confident again. Far, far better game from Lees-Melou today. Normann I still think is our best player but not quite at the races today. Kenny steady. Pukki and Sargent did well but unfortunately not when it counted.

Gold star for that bit in bold as that's smashed it clean out of the park. Chuck in the Covid-affected pre-season / missed friendlies, and that's exacerbated it.