Herman

*****The Official Lapps Match Thread*****

Just the 8 at the back today. Farke has lost the plot. 0-0 at best. That line-up won't score.

Horrific team selection. Hope I’m wrong and we play well but zero attacking threat for Brighton to deal with there. Very disappointed. 

Sorry, was getting my booster jab today. Thanks for the catch @Herman. 🙂

A little disappointing that we perhaps aren't looking a bit more attacking in the formation, though two forwards isn't exactly negative. Could be a 4-5-1.

• Like 1

No Tzolis…no Rashica…..no Cantwell….no flair……few chances to score, potentially…..….……

…….how depressing……

None of the 3 midfielders are defensive by nature. 2 wing backs and 2 strikers. 100% not a defensive side if it the game plan was to attack.

This side is our most solid and we're still clearly buiding foundations for when the likes or Rashica and Tzolis can be worked in.

• Like 1

Not too hopeful looking at that but this really needs to be a kickstart to our season after picking up our first point at Burnley, get a win and we are right back in the fight. We REALLY need this win.

edit: my face after seeing that line up

567316567_FB0hoTXWYAEDRW6(2).jpg.e31717d0f2ecead35cbb11a0903b443d.jpg

Edited by robertociNCFC

We have a solid base to build on (Burnley are no pushovers, literally) in performance and result, so I can see the logic in starting the same 11.

Undoubtedly there will be more onus on us to attack and that is what we should see but after such a robust performance, is it a surprise to anyone that we go with the same again?

We’re also matching up with Brighton. Revert to 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 and we run the risk of being seriously overrun in midfield.

We’ll see 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

None of the 3 midfielders are defensive by nature. 2 wing backs and 2 strikers. 100% not a defensive side if it the game plan was to attack.

This side is our most solid and we're still clearly buiding foundations for when the likes or Rashica and Tzolis can be worked in.

Yea I don’t understand the angst, two up top to give their 3 something to think about, just need McClean and Lees-Melou to link with them.

Farke rarely changes a side that’s played well so only surprise for me is no Cantwell in the squad.

It's a team designed to stay in the game, with presumably the idea that Tzolis or Rashica come on to provide more attacking threat in the last 20. But that is dependent on not going behind early 😬.

Edited by Robert N. LiM

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

Yea I don’t understand the angst, two up top to give their 3 something to think about, just need McClean and Lees-Melou to link with them.

Farke rarely changes a side that’s played well so only surprise for me is no Cantwell in the squad.

would of thought if fit Cantwell should be on the bench he is proven that he can score at this level and would add that little bit of magic if needed 

I don't like it and certainly would not have picked this. However, Farke has earned a little trust over the last few years, so he should - and shall - get the benefit of the doubt. I seriously hope it's not a let's not lose philosophy as that will lose my trust. I'd rather lose a 4-3 having a go than get a 0-0 and the reason I hated Hughton's tenure.

Edited by All the Germans

Not necessarily a negative line-up. A lot depends on how the wing-backs play here. If they stay back a lot and tuck in, then it will be a stodgy mess. If they push forward more, it's more attacking. I do think some of us are forgetting that we have to fight for the right to play here, and this is how Farke's sending them out.

Would like to see Sargent get one. He's been putting himself about but not to much effect. At the same time, it gives them something else to think about, and also means we can mix things up mid-game a bit more.

There's no doubt in my mind Rashica and/or Tzolis will come off the bench here if it's a draw or we're behind. Keep it solid to start, then push harder in the second half.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

I don't like it and certainly would not have picked this. However, Farke has earned a little trust over the last few years, so he shall get the benefit of the doubt. I seriously hope it's a let's not lose philosophy as that will lose my trust. I'd rather lose a 4-3 having a go than get a 0-0 and the reason I hated Hughton's tenure.

Generally speaking I agree with that but I can certainly see the logic of trying to be harder to beat than we were in the first six games, then becoming more expansive as the season goes on. So I'm not gutted by the team selection. But my main worry is what happens if we concede an early goal.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not necessarily a negative line-up. A lot depends on how the wing-backs play here. If they stay back a lot and tuck in, then it will be a stodgy mess. If they push forward more, it's more attacking. I do think some of us are forgetting that we have to fight for the right to play here, and this is how Farke's sending them out.

Would like to see Sargent get one. He's been putting himself about but not to much effect. At the same time, it gives them something else to think about, and also means we can mix things up mid-game a bit more.

There's no doubt in my mind Rashica and/or Tzolis will come off the bench here if it's a draw or we're behind. Keep it solid to start, then push harder in the second half.

thats my only hope if the wing backs bomb forward firing in crosses then it can be attacking if they sit back and make a 5 at the back farke has lost it for me as you need to create chances to stand any chance of staying up 

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

thats my only hope if the wing backs bomb forward firing in crosses then it can be attacking if they sit back and make a 5 at the back farke has lost it for me as you need to create chances to stand any chance of staying up 

Makes more sense that way, especially as we've often been underpowered in the middle of the park before coming up with this line-up. At the same time, I very much doubt they'll be gung-ho early on as they're still trying to build confidence, and conceding early ones are not conducive to building it.

I'd be happy with a stodgy 0-0 at half-time if it means we're still in the mix for the second 45.

We've matched Brighton's formation, which is something that Watford failed to do, and were punished for it-although that was at the AMEX.

Brighton are unbeaten away this season-Burnley (W), Palace (D) and Brentford (W) and I think Potter is becoming a very good manager tactically. A bonus that Bissouma isn't playing though. A win will be a very good result but a draw against a good team would not be a disaster for me. 

plenty of muscle..

i think posters are also underestimating the attacking threat of Pukki + the Sarge + PLM + McLean

I expect as we improve in the coming weeks will we see a couple more creative players included in the starting line-up

40 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Cantwell vanishing despite Farke saying he trained and was ready to play today, still no Tzolis or Rashica

would love to see Cantwell back in the team... but who would you leave off the bench for a not match fit Cantwell? maybe Dowell?

10 minutes ago, BaltimoreBird said:

3 points coming!

Let’s hope so……it’s only Chelsea next week….

16 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

This team stopped the rot and deserves the chance to kick on.

This^^^

There will be time for creative players to come on during the match.  Start strong and get stronger.

40 minutes ago, chicken said:

Sorry, was getting my booster jab today. Thanks for the catch @Herman. 🙂

A little disappointing that we perhaps aren't looking a bit more attacking in the formation, though two forwards isn't exactly negative. Could be a 4-5-1.

No worries Chicken.I was expecting CC to step up to the plate but even he went AWOL.😉👍

• Like 1