Sign in to follow this  
horsefly

Richard Bacon MP

Sadly Richard Bacon knows that South Norfolk is an effective sinecure. For the last two years his single-page website has displayed the following message:

Please note that my full website is currently undergoing reconstruction.

So, during a period when communication with his constituents has been absolutely vital he has not made the slightest effort to repair his website and provide crucial information about Covid etc. Just how hard is it to repair a website? Checking randomly on other MP's websites one finds them filled with multiple pages of info and links.

Worse still, he has not replied to a single email I have sent to him, nor to those of anyone that I know (including an ex-fire chief). Yet he claims full administration expenses and just about every expense going. In any other context the man would be sacked for a complete dereliction of duty. 

I would be interested to hear of anyone else's experience of this remarkably lazy politician.

Edited by horsefly

17 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Sadly Richard Bacon knows that South Norfolk is an effective sinecure. For the last two years his single-page website has displayed the following message:

So, during a period when communication with his constituents has been absolutely vital he has not made the slightest effort to repair his website and provide crucial information about Covid etc. Just how hard is it to repair a website? Checking randomly on other MP's websites one finds them filled with multiple pages of info and links.

Worse still, he has not replied to a single email I have sent to him, nor to those of anyone that I know (including an ex-fire chief). Yet he claims full administration expenses and just about every expense going. In any other context the man would be sacked for a complete dereliction of duty. 

I would be interested to hear of anyone else's experience of this remarkably lazy politician.

That is very poor indeed.

My local mp has literally just flown off in his private aeroplane from his private airport. We're all in it together. 

Sad news about David Amess, hope he is ok.

Sadly just heard he has passed away.

Edited by Van wink

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Sad news about David Amess, hope he is ok.

Sadly just heard he has passed away.

Truly shocking news. 

Second MP to be murdered in recent times. 

Sad is the day when public office brings with it such a terrible risk.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

What motivates people to do these horrendous crimes?

Sadly radicalisation is far too easy and if you have someone constantly whispering in your ear that your problems are the fault of a certain person or group this is where it can ultimately end up.

Shocking news about the murder of David Amess. That is two MPs now who have been the murder victims of perpetrators obsessed by fundamentalist ideologies. 

I never agreed with Amess' Thatcherite perspective on politics but don't doubt for a minute that his views were sincerely held. There can be no doubt that as an MP he worked tirelessly to serve what he genuinely believed to be the best interests of his constituents. He also had enough independence of mind to support causes that many would consider to be a traditonally non-Tory perspective (e.g. animal rights). 

I began this thread as a complaint about my constituency MP treating his constituents with contempt. It is thus devastating that a back-bench Conservative MP who provided a role model for someone like Richard Bacon to follow, has had his life cut short whilst providing for his constituents in the manner essential for democracy to prevail. Similarly, Jo Cox provided precisely the same sort of role model for lazy Labour Party MPs who take their electorate for granted in certain northern sinecures.

It is worth taking a look at the respective websites of Amess and Bacon just to see what a difference it makes to politics and democracy when an MP genuinely takes his/her duty to their constituents seriously:

https://www.davidamess.co.uk/

http://www.richardbacon.org.uk/

A very sad loss.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Thanks D! That's another very useful source. Christ knows how bad the 16 below him must be.

Priti Patel is even lower. 

I posted about Bacon on my village Facebook page after reading this thread. It's a bit Tory around here but he has been roundly criticised by all. One person has pointed out that his only real action in Parliament in the last 5 years was to propose an amendment to divorce laws which apparently annoyed his wife from whom he had recently parted😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Priti Patel is even lower. 

At least she has the excuse of being a senior cabinet member.

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

At least she has the excuse of being a senior cabinet member.

It's from just before the last election and I can't remember what she was doing then.

17 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's from just before the last election and I can't remember what she was doing then.

Yeah, not sure what I was doing, sticking up for Priti Patel, need to go and scrub myself down now 🤢.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I posted about Bacon on my village Facebook page after reading this thread. It's a bit Tory around here but he has been roundly criticised by all. One person has pointed out that his only real action in Parliament in the last 5 years was to propose an amendment to divorce laws which apparently annoyed his wife from whom he had recently parted😂

Thanks for doing that D! The more people who begin to hold this man to account the better. His contempt for his constituents is truly appalling. In any other job he would have been sacked for failing to perform the most basic duties. It is hard to see what he actually does to warrant receiving £82,000 as an MP. Add to that the £78,938,21 that he claimed in expenses (1.6.2020 to 31.5.2021), the majority of which is laughably claimed for office expenses. So that's £78 grand in expenses yet he is unable to repair his web page for at least 2 years, failing to provide his constituents with access to vital information during a national crisis. I have still yet to receive any response to my emails asking for an explanation of this or the several other issues that I have raised. I have copied the EDP and BBC Look East into one of those emails but it seems they too are uninterested that a Norfolk MP can not manage to  repair his web page for 2-years, nor respond to constituents' emails.

FYI:

Bacon's expenses:

https://www.mpsexpenses.info/#!/mp/391

General MP's expenses:

https://www.mpsexpenses.info/#!/all

There are now 15 responses to my Facebook post from people who have not received replies to emails, several of which were non political. Apparently he is known to local Labour members as The Invisible Man. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Yeah, not sure what I was doing, sticking up for Priti Patel, need to go and scrub myself down now 🤢.

Boris has been sticking up for her for ages. Allegedly. 

• Haha 2

Have just sent the following email to Richard Bacon. He has never replied to any previous email so I'm not expecting a reply to this one. I  copied in BBC Look East and the EDP :

"For more than 2 years the single page of your website has displayed the following message:

Yet I notice your expenses claim for the year (1.6.2020 -31.5.2021) amounted to£78,938.21. Would you please reply with an explanation regarding why you have been unable to fund that reconstruction, resulting in a failure to provide your constituents with crucial on-line information during a time of national crisis.

If you want an example of what a back bencher MP's website should look like I suggest you take a look at the excellent example of your late colleague Sir David Amess, so tragically killed while serving his constituency in the manner becoming of a dedicated public servant. (https://www.davidamess.co.uk/parliament)

I hope for once you might show enough respect for your duty as an MP and actually respond to this email as you have failed to acknowledge all my previous messages, and indeed those of innumerable constituents who relate a similar story of your dereliction."

1 hour ago, king canary said:

This is quite a list.

You'd think the Tories, with more MP's than anyone, might be a touch ashamed that they take only 8 spots in the top 30 but 27 spots in the bottom 30. 

This is what a man who doesn't care looks like 

Screenshot_20211025-161125_Chrome.jpg.60565c1e5a5f3094a74f21a5665d859a.jpg

I have been referred to this post. 

Voted him in, so vote him out, else you have to start a new party with the right ethics and a chance to break the system.

Day by Day it is clear that the system is broken, if he earns £80k a year for not doing his job and the system does not.allow us to kick our public servants out of office, then vote for one that stands up to this tosh. 

Else you have no right to complain as you voted for a system that is broken. You handed your vote over and said I know it's broken but go ahead and have £80k a year. You voted for this... Your fault...  

I have not parted with a vote for some time, as not of them are honourable enough. 

12 hours ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Voted him in, so vote him out, else you have to start a new party with the right ethics and a chance to break the system.

Day by Day it is clear that the system is broken, if he earns £80k a year for not doing his job and the system does not.allow us to kick our public servants out of office, then vote for one that stands up to this tosh. 

Else you have no right to complain as you voted for a system that is broken. You handed your vote over and said I know it's broken but go ahead and have £80k a year. You voted for this... Your fault...  

I have not parted with a vote for some time, as not of them are honourable enough. 

Guess what! I didn't vote for him in any of the elections he won. How is it my fault?

13 hours ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Guess what Dan, you never had a fair vote and this talk of democracy when courts and the establishment are chiming in with this shower in power, are not in agreeance for us to have a fair proportional system, with a recall mechanism that would allow us to remove them via a petition.

Not voting means you are voting for the ruling party. Despite having the right to remain and living here longer than in my country of birth, I have no right to vote at all.