Sign in to follow this  
essex canary

Positive mind set, negative mind set

Interesting to reflect that when we travelled to Wigan for a lunchtime Championship kick off in April 2019 the Club subsidises the fans attendance to get as many fans as possible and  yet does the opposite for a Premier League lunchtime visit to Chelsea.

Perhaps that demonstrates the Club"s body language and contributes to explaining another difference between us and Brentford?

14 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Perhaps that demonstrates the Club"s body language and contributes to explaining another difference between us and Brentford?

Well, there's also supply and demand at work, and the fact that Wigan is 250 mile drive.  Whereas Chelsea is one of the closest away days and considered more an 'experience' for the average supporter than visiting Wigan.

Not to mention that there's plenty of supporters between here and London too, not so many along the road to Wigan.

Edited by Google Bot

Living in Bolton, let me tell you that you have to really incentivise a trip to Wigan. 😉 If Perseus came from Bolton or Wigan, he'd laugh at the notion that Medusa would turn him into stone with a glance as let's face it, there's no bloody way she's uglier than half the folk here at least!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Interesting to reflect that when we travelled to Wigan for a lunchtime Championship kick off in April 2019 the Club subsidises the fans attendance to get as many fans as possible and  yet does the opposite for a Premier League lunchtime visit to Chelsea.

Opposing fans have usually been impressed by the numbers and vocal support Norwich fans give on the road. That was obviously until this season, our sales team must think we’re in league 1 again and not the Premier. 

30 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Living in Bolton, let me tell you that you have to really incentivise a trip to Wigan. 😉 If Perseus came from Bolton or Wigan, he'd laugh at the notion that Medusa would turn him into stone with a glance as let's face it, there's no bloody way she's uglier than half the folk here at least!

Never been to Wigan, but in my limited away days I quite enjoy away to Bolton. Stadium right next to train station, 2-3 pubs in good walking distance to the ground and recently a result.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Never been to Wigan, but in my limited away days I quite enjoy away to Bolton. Stadium right next to train station, 2-3 pubs in good walking distance to the ground and recently a result.

Better still, you're away from the town centre. Technically, you are in Horwich though (and it is an amusing local peccadillo that "Horwich Parkway" station is actually further away from the centre of Horwich than Blackrod station is.

To be fair, Wigan's ground isn't that far from the town centre but still manages to be a bit awkward to get to. The number of times people have got the two stations (Wigan Wallgate and Wigan North Western) mixed up is funny though. Even funnier was the chap who said he didn't want to walk between stations when there's literally less than 100 yards between them!

Edited by TheGunnShow

27 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

They may not be oil paintings, but in all seriousness I think Wiganers are some of the best people on earth. I have met a couple of them nursing in hospitals, probably 8 or 10 at work, two or three through football. I have been saying for years that Wiganers are great people. A small selection admittedly. 

The funniest conversation I ever overheard also featured Wiganers. It was in the sauna at the Thistle Hotel at Haydock, and in one corner we had Warrington old boys arguing that their pies were best, and in the other corner, Wiganers, convinced that their pies were best. Classic comedy, sheer Monty Python. 

Ugly or not, they are good people 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pugin said:

They may not be oil paintings, but in all seriousness I think Wiganers are some of the best people on earth. I have met a couple of them nursing in hospitals, probably 8 or 10 at work, two or three through football. I have been saying for years that Wiganers are great people. A small selection admittedly. 

The funniest conversation I ever overheard also featured Wiganers. It was in the sauna at the Thistle Hotel at Haydock, and in one corner we had Warrington old boys arguing that their pies were best, and in the other corner, Wiganers, convinced that their pies were best. Classic comedy, sheer Monty Python. 

Ugly or not, they are good people 🙂

I'll give you that to be fair - I'd actually say there's a certain something that sets a lot of us in this corner apart a bit. Probably the realisation that if we're not actually living on the edge of the world, we're close enough to have a splendid vantage point. 😄

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

2019. The good old days before the pandemic. The same year a complete stranger gave me a hug when Srbeny scored our second against Everton, if he did it now I'd probably have him arrested and take several lateral flow tests.

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Well, there's also supply and demand at work, and the fact that Wigan is 250 mile drive.  Whereas Chelsea is one of the closest away days and considered more an 'experience' for the average supporter than visiting Wigan.

Not to mention that there's plenty of supporters between here and London too, not so many along the road to Wigan.

I think you might be missing the point of the OP here, which is that we returned 1,500 tickets to Chelsea which, bearing in mind the points you have mentioned, makes this decision rather strange.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I think you might be missing the point of the OP here, which is that we returned 1,500 tickets to Chelsea which, bearing in mind the points you have mentioned, makes this decision rather strange.

I thought we had sold out our allocation based on a thread on here in the past week?  Wasn't even aware of this. 

Would help if the OP put some context behind the post really,

i.e: https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2021/10/07/norwich-home-ticket-update

So yes, I missed the point by a clear few miles..  And is incredibly strange - seems they were scared to commit possibly? Or was there really not the uptake?!

46 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I thought we had sold out our allocation based on a thread on here in the past week?  Wasn't even aware of this. 

So yes, I missed the point by a clear few miles..  And is incredibly strange - seems they were scared to commit possibly? Or was there really not the uptake?!

See other threads on Chelsea tickets and Supporters Panel for details.

The overall point being that the Club will move heaven and earth and its own resources to get as many of it's fans as possible to a promotion battle lunchtime kick off in Lancashire but uses the lunchtime kick off as a lame excuse for a Premier League game in London where doubtless many more Norwich supporters live locally.

58 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Sold out at Group 3 stage so we would probably have sold the extra 1,500 if we had taken them. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Spurs (3,000), West Ham (3,000), Palace (2,300) and Watford (2,300) ticket allocation. (Approximate figures). 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Sold out at Group 3 stage so we would probably have sold the extra 1,500 if we had taken them. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Spurs (3,000), West Ham (3,000), Palace (2,300) and Watford (2,300) ticket allocation. (Approximate figures). 

Maybe take a third of any allocation offered just to be safe. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Hopefully, in the future, they will subside games away, were have a chance of taking points...

There is clearly no need or reason to subsidise the trips, but taking the number of tickets available would be a good start.

• Like 1

The way the Premier League works the Club would have to pay for any they didn't sell but so what. From their perspective it can't then be any different in principle to the Wigan subsidy and they have far more income anyway in the Premier League so what exactly is their problem?

Perhaps if the players don't turn up the Club will save on the travel costs?

7 minutes ago, essex canary said:

The way the Premier League works the Club would have to pay for any they didn't sell but so what. From their perspective it can't then be any different in principle to the Wigan subsidy and they have far more income anyway in the Premier League so what exactly is their problem?

It's also in direct opposition to Farke calling out the fans as being an important element if we survive. 

People say last time out we were sent to battle without a gun, now we're calling on fans without a seat for them.  I can see your frustration for sure.  There's quite a bit of hypocrisy at play.

Poor decision from the club and just comes across as penny pinching at this point. The email they've been sending to fans who complained says we've averaged selling 1700 away tickets but includes Burnley away (never likely to be a huge seller and hardly comparable) and Brentford away (low capacity due to the size of the ground meaning you couldn't really sell that many). 

If we only sold 2000 tickets (feels unlikely) and the club had to pay the £30 for each unsold it it would still cost them a max £30,000, which is a drop in the ocean all things considered. 

The club’s rationale was average demand for previous away games and a risk between £3k or £1.5k tickets . If the club didn’t sell all £3k they were committed to buy the rest. 

I still can’t see that comparing average demand for Man City or Burnley had much bearing on a prestige London away fixture ? Arsenal would have been the best comparison? 

• Like 1