cambridgeshire canary

Mike Ashley interested in taking over Derby

Barring some questionable managerial appointments (what owner hasn’t) and renaming ground it seems the main criticism of Ashley has been not ploughing enough money in to achieve their ambition of competing at the top end of the PL which the fans think they deserve. I wonder if Derby fans were given the choice between the billionaire Ashley who doesn’t spend enough or the millionaire cook who can’t, who they would choose before we all start feeling sorry for them.

2 hours ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Barring some questionable managerial appointments (what owner hasn’t) and renaming ground it seems the main criticism of Ashley has been not ploughing enough money in to achieve their ambition of competing at the top end of the PL which the fans think they deserve. I wonder if Derby fans were given the choice between the billionaire Ashley who doesn’t spend enough or the millionaire cook who can’t, who they would choose before we all start feeling sorry for them.

What you mean if they were given a choice between a local figure who genuinely cares about the club and has enabled it to be self sustaining and able to reach the premier league, compared to a self seeking publicist with no interest in the club who doesn’t really care how they perform and is anxious to sell for huge amounts of blood money.

Your choice, your conscience.

• Like 1

I remember when Sullivan was linked here after Birmingham, many objected to that. Then we had the guy who finished up at QPR, you never know what these people will bring wether it be success or failure.

4 hours ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

The actual comparison would be the likes of Ashley or Evans vs a local Derby lifelong fan with experience in running a football club, including a self sustaining model which has produced 200% more Premier League promotions in the last few years than it has Derbys last 10.

Derby actually makes geographical sense for Ashley.  His Sports Direct company are headquartered nearby at Shirebrook, so in this instance he has a strong local connection.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Commonsense said:

What you mean if they were given a choice between a local figure who genuinely cares about the club and has enabled it to be self sustaining and able to reach the premier league, compared to a self seeking publicist with no interest in the club who doesn’t really care how they perform and is anxious to sell for huge amounts of blood money.

I always find these analysis of Mike Ashley to be incredibly harsh.

He bought Newcastle when it was crippled by £75m of external debt at high interest rates owed to numerous banks including Barclays and immediately lent Newcastle the money to clear those debts and so convert the liability into an interest free internal debt / loan from director.

And the £300m mooted as the sale price includes the repayment of about £114m in internal debt. That's not the amount he's selling his shares for, it includes the money he has pumped in as interest free loans.

He'll trouser a profit of about £52m by selling the club, but he has without a doubt left the club in a better state than he acquired it. He doesn't deserve the reputation that he gets, he hasn't asset stripped businesses and left huge pension deficits like some other British billionaires, in fact he's been the only taker for several large corporate bankruptcies, helping keep a few high street brands going in some form (and saved jobs in the process) and hasn't made himself non-domicile for tax purposes like Branson (funny how he gets off lightly!). 

He is one of the billionaires who helps the country pay its bills, not a vulture or parasite on the state coffers, not trying to get his hands on public services, not a tax avoider, hasn't crippled Newcastle united like Mel Morris has at Derby. He's abused zero hour contracts, but only possible to do that in areas of high unemployment / areas where employment is desperately needed, so still not sure we can argue that his companies presence in those places is a bad thing! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 5

Rob (Jigsaw) Lee [ goes to pieces in the box ] giving Player's view in yesterday's Guardian.

General chat how much fans wanted takeover etcetera, high profile signings unlikely, and then

".... because the club's been in decline for so long. The infrastructure needs sorting out first. The training ground is probably one of the worst in the Premier League, and although the club has a fantastic stadium it needs upgrading."

Later

"...been in the doldrums for more than 15 years since Bobby ( Robson ) left; the club has been in decline from then."

Good owner or bad owner?

23 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Delia has the made the club Self Funding as she has no money to put in or does not want to put any more money into it , 

some people see that as holding the club back and she only done that for her and the smith family to continue to run it ?

or some see it as she has saved the club and its future ?

Delia wouldn't have got away with what she is doing now 20 years ago when the fanbase was more savvy and ambitious. So much for no one being interested in taking us on to bigger and better things when a broke basketcase like Derby has suiters lining up.

I would have Ashley here in an instant but with two old duffers clinging on by the skin of their teeth no one with any sense will come near. Not yet anyway.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, robert choice said:

Delia wouldn't have got away with what she is doing now 20 years ago when the fanbase was more savvy and ambitious. So much for no one being interested in taking us on to bigger and better things when a broke basketcase like Derby has suiters lining up.

I would have Ashley here in an instant but with two old duffers clinging on by the skin of their teeth no one with any sense will come near. Not yet anyway.

You don't need to have been a fan 20 years ago (try 25) to know why suiters line up for a club like Derby that is available for a token amount compared to a well run club that is likely to cost them tens of millions... it's about increasing the value of your investment. Even if you genuinely want a club for a love of football, you want a club that can repay your investment.

Ashley bought low, put in the effort, got the club to a position where it could be bought from him for a good profit. £50m+ is a good piece of business.

Derby represents a provincial club that will see itself as having the potential to become an established premier league club. It's available for pennies, and if handled right - like Norwich, could present as a worthy investment and turned into a tens of millions return on a relatively low budget.

Why do people keep lining up to buy Wigan, for example? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robert choice said:

You sir,  are rhe muggiest of muggy mugs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robert choice said:

You're not even a very good troll. You started badly and it went downhill from there.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

You sir,  are rhe muggiest of muggy mugs.

'Distant' supporters see the club very differently to locals.

Failure is always easy to accept if it doesn't cost you money.

12 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

You're not even a very good troll. You started badly and it went downhill from there.

And you are 10 years old.

18 minutes ago, robert choice said:

You may be local but your support couldn’t get much more ‘distant’

48 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

In your opinion? Some of us have been around long enough to tell a con job when we see it.

Maybe you and your chums will see such things yourselves one day as 'maturity' isn't a thing this place has in abundance.

1 hour ago, GenerationA47 said:

I mean he's fairly local. If you don't mind a drive down the A140

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, robert choice said:

Some of us have been around long enough to tell a con job when we see it.

Happily that certainly is true.🤓

4 hours ago, robert choice said:

I expect you've got used to failure  down there. 

When I do get a chance to see a home or away game, it costs me a pretty  penny, so stick your puerile,  uninformed  tripe  where you usually  keep the smartest part of you. When I lived in Norfolk,  I went to  pretty much every  game I was around  for . 

On 12/10/2021 at 09:45, robert choice said:

Explains why you were fed nettles as a kid, I guess.

On 12/10/2021 at 14:22, wcorkcanary said:

I expect you've got used to failure  down there. 

When I do get a chance to see a home or away game, it costs me a pretty  penny, so stick your puerile,  uninformed  tripe  where you usually  keep the smartest part of you. When I lived in Norfolk,  I went to  pretty much every  game I was around  for . 

Which caravan park was that?

4 hours ago, robert choice said:

Which caravan park was that?

The one your lot couldn't afford  to enter. 

I did live  in a a caravan once, not ashamed of it.  Lovely warm dry home in a beautiful  place  with trout  angling  just a field away. What a desperately  sad individual  you  must be . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

The one your lot couldn't afford  to enter. 

I did live  in a a caravan once, not ashamed of it.  Lovely warm dry home in a beautiful  place  with trout  angling  just a field away. What a desperately  sad individual  you  must be . 

Happy to dish it but can't take it eh?

I call that sad. Very sad indeed.