CANARYKING

Jamal Lewis red card

11 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I wonder how many goalkeepers should be penalised for holding the ball more than six seconds?

When a team is winning late on, the goalkeeper generally has it in their hands for 15-20. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, as it has been many years since a ref enforced the law, but it's still there. Either enforce it or take it out of the rulebook.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12430231/lewis-sent-off-for-time-wasting

Here's the footage. He was clearly taking his time, but end of the day you get a yellow for time wasting and he was already on a yellow so.. Rules are rules

Traffic warden mentality, just one of many things that have ruined football. That some fans are defending this ****ing ghoul shows just how dead this sport is.

17 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Traffic warden mentality, just one of many things that have ruined football. That some fans are defending this ****ing ghoul shows just how dead this sport is.

How does a ref following the rules show how dead the sport is? I feel like I'm missing something

I don't think the ref had realised he'd booked him already. was quite funny seeing his  reaction when he realised he was going to have to send him off for time wasting

The whole game cannot be played at 100mph.

Players need to slow the game down occasionally.

What is being suggested, that he throws the ball to an opposition player to keep the game going?

Another recent change by having numerous balls around the pitch which gives nobody a breather and is not helpful.

Totally ridiculous.

All Refs have the power to stop timewasting, by using man management skills.

A quick 'Speed it up' to the player tends to do the trick

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

How does a ref following the rules show how dead the sport is? I feel like I'm missing something

Common sense, maybe?

Firstly, it's a misconception that there's a specific law against time wasting as such, as the law is officially called 'delaying the restart of play', which admittedly amounts to pretty much the same thing. But there is no specific timeframe for 'delaying the restart of play', so it's impossible to say exactly what is and what isn't. As a result, the referee has to use his own judgement as to what is intentionally trying to delay the restart by wasting time and what is just simply a player waiting for his teammates to get into position to receive the ball. In this instance, Lewis did have the ball in his hands for a long while but in the 37th minute with the score at 0-0, common sense dictates that it's not the former.

• Like 1

All a bit stupid, but there is a point here about keeping the ball in play.  It is irritating when players take an age just to take a throw in, often trying to move up the touchline while doing so.  Just stick to the rules and if a ref tells you to get on with it, then get on with it.  

39 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The camel's back can only take so many straws before it eventually breaks.

Should have been a warning, as in if he does it again its a yellow, so he's off. Ridonkulous decision, it would have never happened the other way, ie against the Swiss. 

Q - Where are the FIFA headquarters again?

Q - Where is Gianni Infantino from again? 

Edited by spencer 1970
  • Like 1

The issue isn’t with what this ref did , but what most other refs do. 

How many times have you seen a team at CR waste time from the outset ? And yet the Goal Keeper gets booked in the 87th minute for taking too long to restart the game ? Remember Middlesbrough? This sort of reffing would have sorted it out . 

Another example of a ref correctly applying a law , but in a way that football doesn’t do consistently . 

Ireland want a draw away. They were slowing the game down . 

7 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

Should have been a warning, as in if he does it again its a yellow, so he's off. Ridonkulous decision, it would have never happened the other way, ie against the Swiss. 

Q - Where are the FIFA headquarters again?

Q - Where is Gianni Infantino from again? 

Maybe the ref did warn him at some point, booked him when Lewis didn't take any notice - and if Lewis hadn't taken notice of that, then it is his own fault.

Edited by lake district canary

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes. You are.

If every ref followed the same line as this one, Leicester would have had about 3 sending offs when they went ahead at CR

Time wasting?....I remember when Savage did a mini tour of East Anglia before eventually leaving the pitch.....That turned out well.....

Regarding Lewis and his sending off? A bit harsh.....in my opinion.....

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

Time wasting?....I remember when Savage did a mini tour of East Anglia before eventually leaving the pitch.....That turned out well.....

Next level time wasting Mello. I think he was down to his underpants when he walked off. Happy days ! 

5 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

When a team is winning late on, the goalkeeper generally has it in their hands for 15-20. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, as it has been many years since a ref enforced the law, but it's still there. Either enforce it or take it out of the rulebook.

When I did the ref's course, their advice in this scenario was not to worry about the 6 second rule. Use the time to get into position in and around the half way line, once you are in position signal for the goalie to get on with it and then if they refuse to then book them. 

The general advice was... you have to remember at grass roots football you are at the match on your own and having common sense in these situations. 

5 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm a goalkeeper myself and always worry about 6 second rule, so I always pat the ball down before going to pick it up. Always winds people up quicker than holding for 15 odd seconds but it's not in my hands 🤣

1 hour ago, Baracouda said:

When I did the ref's course, their advice in this scenario was not to worry about the 6 second rule. Use the time to get into position in and around the half way line, once you are in position signal for the goalie to get on with it and then if they refuse to then book them. 

The general advice was... you have to remember at grass roots football you are at the match on your own and having common sense in these situations. 

Which makes sense. 

But why is it still in the laws of the football when it is clearly (and intentionally) ignored?

6 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The issue isn’t with what this ref did , but what most other refs do. 

How many times have you seen a team at CR waste time from the outset ? And yet the Goal Keeper gets booked in the 87th minute for taking too long to restart the game ? Remember Middlesbrough? This sort of reffing would have sorted it out . 

Another example of a ref correctly applying a law , but in a way that football doesn’t do consistently . 

Ireland want a draw away. They were slowing the game down . 

Tim Krul would have been sent off long before the 36th minute with this sort of reffing at Burnley last weekend 🤣

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

All a bit stupid, but there is a point here about keeping the ball in play.  It is irritating when players take an age just to take a throw in, often trying to move up the touchline while doing so.  Just stick to the rules and if a ref tells you to get on with it, then get on with it.  

With the greatest of respect it’s something that if your team is managing the game out it’s acceptable, if it’s the opposition it isn’t. Did you for instance boo with the Burnley supporters when Krul was managing time, or did you laugh at the Burnley supporters for booing Krul, personally I laughed at them, but had it been them and we were losing 1:0 I would have booed very loudly.

Man City do the same thing but slightly differently they just pass the ball around once they are ahead.

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Man City do the same thing but slightly differently they just pass the ball around once they are ahead.

Only that’s not cheating or ‘gamesmanship’ just being better than the opponent at the sport being played…

If he's already been booked then he has to show more intelligence than that. Don't give the ref an excuse and he did just the opposite. Ref was entitled to make that call. Others wouldn't, but he was fair in doing so. 

Edited by JB