Sign in to follow this  
Phil Jones

The Snake Pit should be banned from swearing

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Have we got any sweary old snakepitters post on here?

Yep.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Phil Jones said:

Why is the Snake Pit and lower Barclay allowed to obnoxiously swear and stand up during the match? Every other stand) bans this. If you swear in any other stand you get banned (I think this is a good idea, as it keeps football atmosphere friendly and suitable for parents to take their children too)

I think the Snake Pit should no longer be allowed to use chants with swear words. That way, the atmosphere is more suitable for kids to attend matches and it feels more friendly.

Who agrees the club should stop the Snake Pit and lower Barclay from swearing?

I think you'll find we swear in the Upper Barclay as well 😉

2 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

I remember my old man telling me I could swear at football if I wanted to but not at home.   Absolutely do self moderate if I'm sitting near a family now though.

I hope a lot of people do that, but some people are incapable of self-moderation. Actually, some people are just incapable, sometimes from the amount of alcohol they've drunk, or just generally incapable of thinking about others.  It's quite possible to show all the emotions of being at a football match without swearing or being loutish.  I'm no prude and swear sometimes, but when I'm with others I'm less likely to swear, especially when there are kids around - I guess some people just don't care.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I hope a lot of people do that, but some people are incapable of self-moderation. Actually, some people are just incapable, sometimes from the amount of alcohol they've drunk, or just generally incapable of thinking about others.  It's quite possible to show all the emotions of being at a football match without swearing or being loutish.  I'm no prude and swear sometimes, but when I'm with others I'm less likely to swear, especially when there are kids around - I guess some people just don't care.

Go on then Lakey, what profanities do you occasionally allow yourself to come out with at the football?

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Studies suggest that intelligent people are more likely to swear.

*** ***** ***** you **** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** ******. *** *** **** ****** yellow *** **** underarm ****** *** ****** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** spiders ****** *** *** **** ****** *** **  *** **** ****** *** ****** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** Wednesday  *** *.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Go on then Lakey, what profanities do you occasionally allow yourself to come out with at the football?

For Pete’s sake, gosh and what the Dickens was that. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

Like I said, I don't generally swear when around other people.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

You don’t half preach. There’s nothing inherently wrong with swearing, lots of people swear and drop profanity all the time. It’s nothing necessarily to do with self moderation, lots of people like to swear, at the end of the day it’s just words.

People know what the Snakepit and Lower Barclay are like, personally I’d never take kids there. If you do and don’t like what you hear kind of on you.

I think a dedicated area where family’s can go that is family friendly and everyone knows the rules and abides by them is actually a good idea, but that won’t be in the snakepit which makes the OPs point dumb not fair.

Expecting some people NOT to swear when following a live event, with all its twists and turns, strikes me as being absurd beyond belief.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

image.jpeg.c1d4a1563c751b37b40370801efc35bf.jpeg...."Sez Mary Whitehouse"......

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

*** ***** ***** you **** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** ******. *** *** **** ****** yellow *** **** underarm ****** *** ****** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** spiders ****** *** *** **** ****** *** **  *** **** ****** *** ****** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** *** **** ****** *** Wednesday  *** *.

Hey you, hoping the yellow underarm spiders clear up long before Wednesday 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Studies suggest that intelligent people are more likely to swear.

It's true that those who use multiple swear words tend to have a higher IQ. People that use the same one repeatedly during a sentence tend not to score highly.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Ne’er a truer word

However, always recall the words we heard on our grandfather’s lap

“Football - played by gentlemen (😆 my grandpa grew up in the 20s/30s) & watched by thugs

Rugby - played by thugs and watched by gentlemen”

North Walsham awaits OP (Phil Columns) with open arms and demurely pursed lips

Edited by GenerationA47
North Walsham

During the time when crowds weren't allowed, some commentators would apologise for "inappropriate language".

I find it the most appropriate language when needless mistakes are made.

I really enjoy sitting (standing mainly) in the SnakePit and Lower Barclay, when I'm lucky enough to attend home games.  People there are generally more enthusiastic and louder.  There is swearing too, it's for a grown up audience.  If I went with children I'd go to the family area.  There are plenty of parts of the ground that are pretty quiet, if that's what you want then just sit there.

I fondly remember the playoff semi vs the scum when I was lucky enough to get a spot in the Snakepit and it was epic, everyone was buzzing.  I think the OP is a scummer and doesn't remember that day so fondly, although don't they think they only lost because the biased ref sent off one of their players and gave a penalty when all he'd done was use his hands on the goal line to stop a shot going in  ?  How unfair is that 😂.  Anyway the person standing next to me didn't make a sound all game except possibly when we scored (I wouldn't have noticed) and I was thinking, why go for the Snakepit if you're not going to join in ? 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Does Daniel ever use the odd expletive on match days? 

No, but according to his neighbours there's a 19 seconds long 'F' word that he screams when waking on a Saturday morning.  Echo's round the streets they say.

Always guaranteed to get a few laughs out of the SP especially if things aren't going too well on the pitch.

Can't beat a bit of gallows humour.

It would be nice to no longer have to listen to the Snake Pit’s annoying noise when I attend matches. I sit in the City Stand, yet can still hear the Snake Pit. 

Plus, since Norwich is a family-friendly club, that is a good enough reason on its own to stop the Snake Pit swearing.