1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Really? I think most of football is very well aware of ourĀ self funding model, and many of the more cerebral commentators on football finance see City as a role model for clubs lacking a dodgy billionaire. It might also help our cause if there were not so many City fans who consistently slag the club off for adopting this model, despite offering no remotely plausible model to replace it (btw hoping some beneficent billionaire will pop up and throw hundreds of millions at the club is NOT a plausible financial plan for the future).

I'm talking about more than that. If we are doing it properly then lets do it. At the moment we pick and choose. Put in place succession planning that places fans at the forefront. Split up the shareholding, give fans a significant stake, operate as a true fan led organisation, be the club that takes a moral stance on sponsors and use that to our advantage rather than detriment.Ā 

At the moment we pick and choose. We are moral when it suits us (usually to preserve the status quo or argue why we can't compete) yet at other times we screw our fans over with ridiculous ticket prices or membership schemes whilst pleading poverty.Ā 

• Like 1

I just want to hear one of our current Big 4 Clubs say it's not fair. Newcastle have too much money. A bit like FergieĀ crying when Chelsea started to useĀ their buying power.

I would actually think that the best thing that fans could do is unroll banners of Jamal Khashoggi face every time they play Newcastle.

Would make it a bit harder for them to use football as positive propaganda for their disgusting regime then.

• Like 1

We're an amzing club. Able to have fantastic facilities and money to develop further those facilities, playing in a Premier League on zero investment.Ā  It's an incredible story and one that every Norwich supporter ought to be proud of.Ā  In terms of richness of owners, we are way down the scale, yet we continually reinvent ourselves over the years to be a club that achieves success in terms of getting to the PL time after time.Ā  Worthington/Lambert/Neil/Farke x 2.Ā  We even have had a manager that kept us in the PL.........

We now see a Newcastle team who think they have hit the jackpot, but have they? Really? Time will tell, but little old Norwich will never get that kind of owner because we just are not on the radar being a relatively small city in a rural area - and probably never will be on that radar.Ā 

Enjoy it. Relish it. Enjoy bucking the trend. Enjoy getting promotions against the odds.Ā  Enjoy the progress that is being made off the field and in the academy, the fact we are getting some of the best young talemt available - the kind of young talent that wants to play in the first team and not be seduced by big money/big clubs to just sit on the bench or in their U23s for maybe years. Ā 

Relish the battle we are in. Get behind the passion that the team has for the club as shown on Saturday against Burnley.Ā  We live in turbulent times and the best thing that can be said about us is that we are trying to do things in the right way - we are a true business, not a toy being played with by some rich sheikh.

FFS, enjoy us!Ā  We don't need trillions to be a good football club - we already are one - and one to be proud of.Ā  Money doesn't buy you happiness and while Newcastle has become a sensation given the amount of money their new owners have, it does not make them better.Ā  All it does is raise expectations and if they don't do that well to start with, which they probably won't, then they will soon start moaning again.......

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Really? Their stadium is double in size and so is there attendance almost, i'd say more than 'slightly'.

I think if any neutral heard a Norwich fan say "Newcastle aren't much bigger than us" they'd p*ss their pants.

Well most clubs at this level will have a bigger stadium than us given we haven;t expanded it significantly for a long time whereas they expanded their ground when the opportunity arose and more or less doubled their support. If our stadium held 35,000 to 40,000 like it should do by now then the same point would not apply to the same degree). I said above they have a slightly bigger fanbase but in terms of the fortunes of the two clubs over the last 30-40 years they are not that different, they've not won anything. Yes they are a slightly bigger club but not as much as our downtrodden fanbase would have you believe and we would have cost aroundĀ 1/3 of the price even if our owners did hold out for the full value of their shareholding.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

35 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

To be fair Birchfest people shut their eyes to atrocity andĀ injustice all the time. Itā€™s only when it gets high profile like this people get very vocal with their moral outrage.

I think Saudi is a morally bankrupt, murderous and bigoted regime. Yet thereā€™s plenty more of them about and most of our goods come from those countriesĀ either directly or in a supply chain. Itā€™s very hard to be morally virtuous in a globalised world.Ā 

Most billionaires have very shady backgrounds too. Iā€™m not saying this means this is ok, Iā€™m just saying you can see why people take the view itā€™s all filthy money and everyoneā€™s doing it so if you canā€™t beat them join them. Itā€™s all very depressing but the PL rubber stamps these owners so they get my blame.

True, but you have to call it out when we see it. I think to be honest BK8 showed that we as a fan base are pretty good at not being hypocritical and try our best to keep our own house in order.Ā 

• Like 1

Football, last it 'soul' a long time ago and became fundamentally corrupt.

When you look at the owners around the globe and the financial state of clubs. Qatar hosting a world cup using slave labour to build the stadiums. The human rights standard for the governing bodies to pass the Fit and proper, FIFA corruption case (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIFA_corruption_case).Ā 

Its what football has become now and other sports following suit.Ā 

29 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Well most clubs at this level will have a bigger stadium than us given we haven;t expanded it significantly for a long time whereas they expanded their ground when the opportunity arose and more or less doubled their support. If our stadium held 35,000 to 40,000 like it should do by now then the same point would not apply to the same degree). I said above they have a slightly bigger fanbase but in terms of the fortunes of the two clubs over the last 30-40 years they are not that different, they've not won anything. Yes they are a slightly bigger club but not as much as our downtrodden fanbase would have you believe and we would have cost aroundĀ 1/3 of the price even if our owners did hold out for the full value of their shareholding.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Newcastle are a far bigger club than us in terms of fan base. It's an obsession up there.Ā  We could fill a 35,000 seater stadium, but I think we would really struggle with 40,000.Ā 

SJP regularly passes 50,000 and could probably pack more in if they had also expanded.

They have also spent most of their history in the top division, something we can't claim. Nobody without a connection to Norwich city wouldn't see a big gulf between us.

Edited by 1902

I find it very difficult to swallow what is going on at the moment. I have seen images of Newcastle fans celebrating because they have a new, wealthy, foreign owner. I have read Shearer banging on about what it means.

Well I will tell him what it means. He and the fans will expect Newcastle to be winning things. He will expect Bruce to be sacked and "Angelo Carlos Heinrich Muller Sanchez" to be named as new manager and a flood of the World's top players to move to the North East.

So they will join the ever increasing amount of clubs with money who are after 6 rewards: 4UCL including the EPL title, FA Cup and Carabao Cup. And it is likely the top two or three will monopolise the Cups.

The moral side of it is correct but also too late. As vile as the House of Saud is, are we really sure that the other club's owners are squeaky clean. And will the Geordie boys acknowledge the war in Yemen?

When I have said that I am happy with us playing in the Championship in the past, many have said I should give up. Well I ask them to convince that the EPL is nothing more than a poison chalice. Would we have those same people outside Carrow Road if the Sultan of Brunei bought DeliaĀ  out? Probably.

One of my best days out was watching us draw 3-3 in the last minute against Yeovil in the L1 season. Talking to supporters who thought we were a big club. We discussed players and results and not XGs and XYs and who had the most assists and whether Guiseppe Carlos Fandango would be signing for us for Ā£50M and Ā£300K a week.

If I wasn't born when I was, I doubt I would bother with football anymore. Its all a sham.

Ā 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I used to think like that but I've come to think that it's not really religion that's the problem. It's people.

That discussion is probably best left for another dayšŸ™ƒ

Totally this nutty. Whilst the Catholic Church has clearly dealt badly with abuse in the past, etc. - and the media delight in making that point loudly- itā€™s also the case that it is an organisation with 1.4 billion members and context is never given. We donā€™t hear, for example the good news, that the Catholic Church feeds, clothes, medicates, shelters and helps moreĀ people each day than any other organisation on earth. Nor do we hear that less than 2% of clergy have been credibly accused of abuse which- however awful-Ā Ā is actually slightly less than for teaching or care home workers. Not defending any of the sick abuses- but the reality is that few people cared well for kids in the 70s and 80ā€™s etc and the perverts knew how to play naive leadership. Things are much better now - but that isnā€™t the narrative the haters want to hearĀ 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

FFS

Now now Lakey - having read your post on the other thread, I dont expect that from you, on this forum!Ā 

Please be more respectful of the other posters,,Ā there may be children reading, & language like that should only be posted after the 9pm watershed. šŸ˜‰Ā 

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I find it very difficult to swallow what is going on at the moment. I have seen images of Newcastle fans celebrating because they have a new, wealthy, foreign owner. I have read Shearer banging on about what it means.

Well I will tell him what it means. He and the fans will expect Newcastle to be winning things. He will expect Bruce to be sacked and "Angelo Carlos Heinrich Muller Sanchez" to be named as new manager and a flood of the World's top players to move to the North East.

So they will join the ever increasing amount of clubs with money who are after 6 rewards: 4UCL including the EPL title, FA Cup and Carabao Cup. And it is likely the top two or three will monopolise the Cups.

The moral side of it is correct but also too late. As vile as the House of Saud is, are we really sure that the other club's owners are squeaky clean. And will the Geordie boys acknowledge the war in Yemen?

When I have said that I am happy with us playing in the Championship in the past, many have said I should give up. Well I ask them to convince that the EPL is nothing more than a poison chalice. Would we have those same people outside Carrow Road if the Sultan of Brunei bought DeliaĀ  out? Probably.

One of my best days out was watching us draw 3-3 in the last minute against Yeovil in the L1 season. Talking to supporters who thought we were a big club. We discussed players and results and not XGs and XYs and who had the most assists and whether Guiseppe Carlos Fandango would be signing for us for Ā£50M and Ā£300K a week.

If I wasn't born when I was, I doubt I would bother with football anymore. Its all a sham.

Ā 

"One of my best days out was watching us draw 3-3 in the last minute against Yeovil in the L1 season." That was also one of my best memories. I don't have many good ones from the premier league.

I was thinking today, I wonder if the abortive superleague clubs could see the Newcastle takeover coming. Perhaps they had more information than was out in the media and wanted to jump ship before an even richer rival arrived?

5 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Totally this nutty. Whilst the Catholic Church has clearly dealt badly with abuse in the past, etc. - and the media delight in making that point loudly- itā€™s also the case that it is an organisation with 1.4 billion members and context is never given. We donā€™t hear, for example the good news, that the Catholic Church feeds, clothes, medicates, shelters and helps moreĀ people each day than any other organisation on earth. Nor do we hear that less than 2% of clergy have been credibly accused of abuse which- however awful-Ā Ā is actually slightly less than for teaching or care home workers. Not defending any of the sick abuses- but the reality is that few people cared well for kids in the 70s and 80ā€™s etc and the perverts knew how to play naive leadership. Things are much better now - but that isnā€™t the narrative the haters want to hearĀ 

Is there any evidence for those stats, please?

41 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Newcastle are a far bigger club than us in terms of fan base. It's an obsession up there.Ā  We could fill a 35,000 seater stadium, but I think we would really struggle with 40,000.Ā 

SJP regularly passes 50,000 and could probably pack more in if they had also expanded.

They have also spent most of their history in the top division, something we can't claim. Nobody without a connection to Norwich city wouldn't see a big gulf between us.

I'm not arguing they are not bigger than us, merely that they are not that much bigger than us or certainly wouldn;t be if we hadn't made ourselves small under this ownership.Ā 

West Ham another example. A club we were very much on a par with or in fact better than in the late 80s and early 90's. A club with a slightly bigger support than ours but not in a completely different league.

Since they got their new ground they have more or less doubled their regular support base. They are able to offer cheap tickets and get in youngsters from all over essex and east Suffolk. It may be a soulless ground but they have taken the opportunity to grow their club to the next level.

We on the other hand have a ground that makes it virtually impossible for non-season ticket holders to get tickets in the top flight and like a military operation for people who want to take their kids to a game.

But its ok because we've got some sh*t soccerbot thing that looks like something you'd find in an end of the pier amusement arcade but gets Webber a bit of PR.

Not increasing the ground capacity during this period of relative "success" will be looked back on as one of the biggest missed opportunities for the clubĀ of the Smith regime. In part this is due to our failure to stay up more than one season in recent times but it all ultimately comes back to the same thing.Ā 

33 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Now now Lakey - having read your post on the other thread, I dont expect that from you, on this forum!Ā 

Please be more respectful of the other posters,,Ā there may be children reading, & language like that should only be posted after the 9pm watershed. šŸ˜‰Ā 

šŸ˜€Ā  Two words come to mind.........

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

šŸ˜€Ā  Two words come to mind.........

The second one being 'off' ?!Ā Ā 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes they are a slightly bigger club but not as much as our downtrodden fanbase would have you believe and we would have cost aroundĀ 1/3 of the price even if our owners did hold out for the full value of their shareholding.Ā 

This is the average position since the start of the premier league. Newcastle are 7th, we are 20th. I think that they may be considered a bigger team than us by criterion as a measure.

Similarly, their attendances are nearly double ours.Ā Historically, Newcastle have won the title 4 times compared to our 0 and the FA cup 6 times to our 0.

I think that it is rather a skewed view to say that they are only a "slightly" bigger club than us. They are of a size whereby they should never be outside the premier league if they were properly managed (and indeed rarely have been). At Ā£305 million, I think that the new owners have obtained something of a bargain. Our market value would be closer to Ā£200 million than Ā£100 million if you compare to the sale price of other clubs and their relative assets.

I don't know why you feel downtrodden - is it psychological?

The all-time PL table

https://www.givemesport.com/1629431-man-united-arsenal-liverpool-who-finishes-top-of-the-alltime-premier-league-table

Ā 

Quote "Little old Norwich will never get that kind of owner because we just are not on the radar being a relatively small city in a rural area - and probably never will be on that radar."Ā 

Could not disagree more. Norwich is in the top 5 shopping destinations in England, its a modern vibrant City not a small rural City. I hate this "be grateful we are small" attitude. You think Norwich is less significant that Leicester, Southampton, Wolverhampton, Burnley FFS... It's a totally false narrative.

WE ARE A PROFESSIONALĀ FOOTBALL TEAM not a charity with a separate agenda to everyone else. I love my club and I am proud of it but you don't help it by ignoring the debacle with the sponsorship, or the fiasco of the away membership and our current failure to compete in the league we find ourselves. Reducing ticket prices (we are 8th in the Country) would also help the new generation attend. PraiseĀ when they get it right, criticise when they don't.... they are not the messiah! (Is MWJ a very naughty boy? )

The City I am proud of isĀ the fantastic University and the Sainsburys centre, The Theatre Royal, the fantastic Cathedrals, Elm Hill, etc etc.

Small rural Cities don't become the 1st City of Literature in England (UNESCO).

I want a successful club that reflects the successful City. Successful in the top flight!Ā 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MORDENCANARY said:

I'd rather support Norwich in the National League than have to see the current regime sell out to this kind of takeover.

Me too, I'd travel all the way to Kings Lynn with Saudi dieselĀ to watch the games after Carrow Rd has been bulldozed to the ground.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Ā 

The Yeovil fans were great that day with the marquee bar.

1 hour ago, MORDENCANARY said:

I'd rather support Norwich in the National League than have to see the current regime sell out to this kind of takeover.

I wouldnā€™t, but then I wasnā€™t one of those who applauded losing Ā£5 million from the BK8 fiasco.

2 hours ago, 1902 said:

I would actually think that the best thing that fans could do is unroll banners of Jamal Khashoggi face every time they play Newcastle.

Would make it a bit harder for them to use football as positive propaganda for their disgusting regime then.

Don't be so ridiculous.

Ā 

What the hell has it got to do with her?

Just now, robert choice said:

Don't be so ridiculous.

Ā 

What the hell has it got to do with her?

I genuinely don't know if this is a joke or ignorance.