1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

I wouldn't be surprised to find out Kenny Foggo was a Catholic. There's been loads of great Canary Catholics over the years. It shouldn't matter.

I bet you'd be up for signing Messi and Ronaldo.

I am not but count myself lucky to have many catholic friends.. I, dislike religion but realise that a lot of religious people do a lot of good.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I am not but count myself lucky to have many catholic friends.. I, dislike religion but realise that a lot of religious people do a lot of good.   

I used to think like that but I've come to think that it's not really religion that's the problem. It's people.

That discussion is probably best left for another day🙃

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Non religious people do good too, and some religious people do bad.

• Like 2

If one team in EPL can get relegated after the latest up on the Geordie rollercoaster its Newcastle. The soul that runs through that club is true, but they may have just sold it. Bad luck to them I say. 

9 hours ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

The amount of either xenophobia or simply masked jealousy is off the scale. If overnight our club was to become richer than all the European clubs put together the moral indignation concerning the differences in culture would be drowned out in a second by the sound of cry’s for Salah, Mbappe and Kane to be signed in January. That’s Watford and Newcastle safe from the drop now.

Why Watford? 

11 hours ago, hogesar said:

Oh there is if you don't give a single toss for humanity, morals or basic human decency. 

Which goes to show that there really is no place for hand-wringing liberal and left-wing idealism in the harsh reality of football at the highest level.

11 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Which goes to show that there really is no place for hand-wringing liberal and left-wing idealism in the harsh reality of football at the highest level.

I think there's probably a little gap between liberalism and left wing idealism vs Saudi Arabia political murders and destruction of human rights.

But each to their own.

• Like 1

So if Newcastle come sniffing in January for Aarons and/or Cantwell and make us an offer we can't refuse, I wonder if NCFC will turn it down on the grounds of morality?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

So if Newcastle come sniffing in January for Aarons and/or Cantwell and make us an offer we can't refuse, I wonder if NCFC will turn it down on the grounds of morality?

Course not. Taking money from foreign owners is fine. As is taking the evil tv money that props us up. The only foreign money that is off limits is anything that dilutes the owners shareholding/ownership. 

Given what’s been achieved over the past 4 years I’d rather be a Norwich fan. I don’t understand when people don’t see how far the club has come in a fairly short period of time. All you need to do is look at Colney to see that. Results on the pitch might not be going the way fans expect but we wouldn’t even be in the Premier League were it not for the foundation the clubs been built on of late. 

Just because Newcastle will have more money than sense now doesn’t mean it’ll compete, everything has to work to get it pulling in the same direction. 

• Like 1

Just now, Danke bitte said:

Given what’s been achieved over the past 4 years I’d rather be a Norwich fan. I don’t understand when people don’t see how far the club has come in a fairly short period of time. All you need to do is look at Colney to see that. Results on the pitch might not be going the way fans expect but we wouldn’t even be in the Premier League were it not for the foundation the clubs been built on of late. 

Just because Newcastle will have more money than sense now doesn’t mean it’ll compete, everything has to work to get it pulling in the same direction. 

They will compete and they will win things. Could I suppose still go down this season if they  don’t buy well in January but sooner or later they will be successful.

Colney is great but in truth most premier league teams have training grounds like that. Often their owners just build them for them.

Norwich turned down a shirt sponsor on morality grounds. 

Other Clubs just take the money. 

Perhaps we should trump them all and accept a bid from a CCP backed consortium? Yellow is a lucky colour in China. 

This sale and the upcoming world Cup in Qatar shows just what a shallow, sheep like, morally bankrupt bunch kneeling footballers are. Actions speak louder and their consciences are always for sale. 

One trick I do think we have missed if we are going to persist with this self funding stance is not making more of it. I think there have been lost branding and marketing opportunities to really set ourselves up as the club that does things differently. 

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

They will compete and they will win things. Could I suppose still go down this season if they  don’t buy well in January but sooner or later they will be successfu

Do you care though Jim? Newcastle is a much bigger club than Norwich with a huge fan base. I sense people’s jealousy is because they’re comparing us to them. Newcastle has drastically underachieved for years. I’m not condoning the take over but it is what it is. 

I also wonder if anyone would care as much if we were sitting mid table right now… 

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

One trick I do think we have missed if we are going to persist with this self funding stance is not making more of it. I think there have been lost branding and marketing opportunities to really set ourselves up as the club that does things differently. 

This is a very good point tbh. 

I guess a lot of what of you who seem terribly impressed by this need to ask is 'Just how important is football'?

You willing to shut your eye and ears to atrocities because.. your football team will win some matches and you get a warm fuzzy feeling for 20 minutes at 5pm on a saturday. 

Personally I think we are showing a way to do it without that. Colney being another step forward, a state of the art training ground we should all be proud of, paid for with money the club has generated.. and not a single EDP journalist bumped off! 

Edited by birchfest
  • Like 1

I suppose the real question is, would we as a club prefer to continue with our morally-superior self-funding model or would we do rather better with significant external investment without necessarily feeling too happy about where that money has come from?  Money certainly doesn’t guarantee success in the Premier League, but no money definitely guarantees failure.

6 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Do you care though Jim? Newcastle is a much bigger club than Norwich with a huge fan base. I sense people’s jealousy is because they’re comparing us to them. Newcastle has drastically underachieved for years. I’m not condoning the take over but it is what it is. 

I also wonder if anyone would care as much if we were sitting mid table right now… 

They aren’t a much bigger club. Slightly bigger support admittedly. We make ourselves small.

When Newcastle come to CR, how about we all print off a picture of Jamal Khashoggi and hold it up when the players take the knee.

Jamal_Khashoggi_in_March_2018_(cropped).jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Could argue St. Pauli has done that for years. We could, but we'd need a stadium expansion, feasibly.

39 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Really? I think most of football is very well aware of our self funding model, and many of the more cerebral commentators on football finance see City as a role model for clubs lacking a dodgy billionaire. It might also help our cause if there were not so many City fans who consistently slag the club off for adopting this model, despite offering no remotely plausible model to replace it (btw hoping some beneficent billionaire will pop up and throw hundreds of millions at the club is NOT a plausible financial plan for the future).

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Really? I think most of football is very well aware of our self funding model, and many of the more cerebral commentators on football finance see City as a role model for clubs lacking a dodgy billionaire. It might also help our cause if there were not so many City fans who consistently slag the club off for adopting this model, despite offering no remotely plausible model to replace it (btw hoping some beneficent billionaire will pop up and throw hundreds of millions at the club is NOT a plausible financial plan for the future).

Really?  We’re almost alone in the Prem in not having some beneficent billionaire throwing hundreds of millions at the club, so why isn’t that a plausible financial plan for the future?

41 minutes ago, horsefly said:

When Newcastle come to CR, how about we all print off a picture of Jamal Khashoggi and hold it up when the players take the knee.

Jamal_Khashoggi_in_March_2018_(cropped).jpg

They’d probably think that was Benítez. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

The amount of either xenophobia or simply masked jealousy is off the scale. If overnight our club was to become richer than all the European clubs put together the moral indignation concerning the differences in culture would be drowned out in a second by the sound of cry’s for Salah, Mbappe and Kane to be signed in January. That’s Watford and Newcastle safe from the drop now.

I've seen zero xenophobia on here, could you please quote some examples?

Secondly, please don't tar all NCFC fans with your own incredibly low moral standards

49 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

They aren’t a much bigger club. Slightly bigger support admittedly. We make ourselves small.

Really? Their stadium is double in size and so is there attendance almost, i'd say more than 'slightly'.

I think if any neutral heard a Norwich fan say "Newcastle aren't much bigger than us" they'd p*ss their pants.

• Like 2

Why we persist in making ourselves little old Norwich is beyond me. Why not try and make us the biggest self funding club in the world. A bigger stadium would help.... 

Jim is spot on about the hypocrisy of criticising certain ownership whilst still doing business with them to maintain our model.

I for one, see no future in this division without better funding and I absolutely do not believe there is not a single suitable person or group that would not be interested in owning and taking forward a debt free premiership football club with a huge potential fan base in the region, miles from other big clubs. 

I find the experience, of following my club in the premiership under the current owners, as very depressing and see this season as being no different.

If you are being mugged off by When Saturday Comes.. you have an issue.

You can not run a professional football club in the toughest league in the world by constantly selling your best players at the first opportunity (I understand they'll eventually go... but selling Buendia when promoted set the tone for me) as it's the only way you can raise cash to buy players. No successful business runs on zero cash flow.

All my opinion and don't expect many on here to agree. 

Right off to buy the Dave Grohl book... OTBC

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Really? Their stadium is double in size and so is there attendance almost, i'd say more than 'slightly'.

I think if any neutral heard a Norwich fan say "Newcastle aren't much bigger than us" they'd p*ss their pants.

Whilst that is true, the last trophy they won is even more of a rust bucket than the last one Ipswich won. 

I don’t think anyone could disagree that Newcastle supporters are passionate about their football club. To the extent that the media clips over the last few hours can be considered to be representative, it is not unreasonable to characterise their feelings as ecstatic. Presumably, the belief is that the new ownership increases the likelihood of their club winning football matches - after all this is the main objective for the majority (but not necessarily all) football supporters. It is of course easy to criticise the records of different state actors (but here the SIF is presumably independent of the state) and in our everyday life we interact with many state actors, which have different governance systems, values etc from a typical western democracy such as the UK, through the purchasing of goods, use of fuel, holidaying etc. I suspect the average Newcastle supporter is prepared to rely on the regulatory oversight of PL football much like we have to rely on regulation to oversee other aspects of the economy. Time will tell if there is any pushback against the new owner.

Edited by Highland Canary

1 hour ago, birchfest said:

I guess a lot of what of you who seem terribly impressed by this need to ask is 'Just how important is football'?

You willing to shut your eye and ears to atrocities because.. your football team will win some matches and you get a warm fuzzy feeling for 20 minutes at 5pm on a saturday. 

Personally I think we are showing a way to do it without that. Colney being another step forward, a state of the art training ground we should all be proud of, paid for with money the club has generated.. and not a single EDP journalist bumped off! 

To be fair Birchfest people shut their eyes to atrocity and injustice all the time. It’s only when it gets high profile like this people get very vocal with their moral outrage.

I think Saudi is a morally bankrupt, murderous and bigoted regime. Yet there’s plenty more of them about and most of our goods come from those countries either directly or in a supply chain. It’s very hard to be morally virtuous in a globalised world. 

Most billionaires have very shady backgrounds too. I’m not saying this means this is ok, I’m just saying you can see why people take the view it’s all filthy money and everyone’s doing it so if you can’t beat them join them. It’s all very depressing but the PL rubber stamps these owners so they get my blame.

• Like 1