Mutley

The value of our squad is £106 million apparently

The ignorance behind this article is staggering. In the last 15 years there have been 30 European finals. English clubs have won 7 of them. Spanish clubs have won 18. Surely if the players are worth that much those figures would be the other way round. 

If anything this report just goes to show that fools and their money are easily parted. Pepe at Arsenal being an extremely good example. 

If the teams from the top 4 countries in Europe played each other in one off games according to their league positions I would be very surprised if England did better than 4th.

• Like 1

I think it's quite an interesting comparison. Given how differently, for instance, Watford and Norwich show that valuation in their accounts (Watford have players at about £115m; we have ours at about £40m, both as at June 2020.)

At the very least if you look at the PL in isolation, the values roughly equate to expected league positions - give or take a couple of places. Is that because valuations apply based on league performance, or because performance relates to how good the players are?

Player wages would make more sense than player values - I suspect we'd still be bottom.

It's hard to see £766m worth of talent at Barca, the way they're playing right now

If the whole squad is only worth £106 million then either Webber has massively overpaid for the recent additions or Cantwell and Aarons are not nearly as valuable as people thought.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The ignorance behind this article is staggering. In the last 15 years there have been 30 European finals. English clubs have won 7 of them. Spanish clubs have won 18. Surely if the players are worth that much those figures would be the other way round. 

If anything this report just goes to show that fools and their money are easily parted. Pepe at Arsenal being an extremely good example. 

If the teams from the top 4 countries in Europe played each other in one off games according to their league positions I would be very surprised if England did better than 4th.

Five of the last eight finalists, and two of the last three winners, have been English though, so the Premier League is clearly the dominant force right now.

Also, the Premier League is the richest league in the world, so it stands to reason that the players and squads are worth more in terms of transfer value.

21 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

If the whole squad is only worth £106 million then either Webber has massively overpaid for the recent additions or Cantwell and Aarons are not nearly as valuable as people thought.  

More likely the algorithm is ****ed.

It says Sargent is worth €20-30m, Tzolis €15-20, Aarons €7-10 and Cantwell €4-7m.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Given across those divisions there are only 78 teams. 60th seems about right for the lowest ranked premier League side.

With regard to one to one fixtures. I'm not so sure. Look at the bottom of Serie A, it's not filled with amazing sides. I have a friend who supports Salernitana, he reckons we would beat them comfortably and they aren't actually bottom.

The only stat that matters is the league table and it's sad to see the current generation trying to morph FIFA computer games in with reality.

3 hours ago, robert choice said:

The only stat that matters is the league table and it's sad to see the current generation trying to morph FIFA computer games in with reality.

Nope. Like it or not the club we support is a business and the assets have a value. That's not a new thing or anything to do with computer games.

On 05/10/2021 at 15:22, dylanisabaddog said:

The Premier League's reputation and tv money boosts fees and contracts around players here thus making them more valuable.  An actual talent comparison would be much closer but I still think the Premier League beats out the rest of Europe at the moment.

How much do we value our squad at though? We are in as good a position as any to make judgement.

I'll hazard a guess, whilst probably being on the conservative side. Or then again on the generous side.

I'll put Aarons as our most valuable player @ £20-25m then comes, imo, Cantwell: £15-20m

Old boys all @ around £5m: Krul (-), Pukki, Hanley (-), Gibson (+), McClean (+), Rupp (-/+). Pukki, in particular, would be well worth that to any aspiring Championship side, although it would require him to score a fair few this season I should think. He's £6.6m on Transfer Market, the others vary either way, with Krul and Hanley much lower than £5m.

New boys: Tzolis, Sargent, Rachida, keeping them @cost at the moment as it is likely too early to assess. Loans, with option to buy (Normann, Kabak,) not counting, but there is a case for calculating both at the proposed fee should we stay up.

Gianoullis: certainly retains his value @ £8m? 

Younsters: Omobimadele is probably the hardest to assess, but he may even fetch getting for £10m, with his being an ongoing situation. Mumba £5m, ditto. 

Placheta c. £4-5m?

Zimbo? Byram: Zilch, but the former is worth a million to a sensible Chumps manager.

Sorensen? Who knows?

I am inclined to think that Gunn's £5m fee may be slightly high, but will stick with it.

The major out on-loans: Hugill, Trybull and Martin not counting as clearly they are not in the squad, but there is a few million there. The whole number of loans to other clubs (some twenty or so in total?) represents a bit of a treasure chest, no doubt.

I haven't bothered to add it up as it's all probably speculative nonsense, I have probably left a major player out, and it is just a bit of fun in any case.

Tin hat on!

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

"I haven't bothered to add it up as it's all probably speculative nonsense, I have probably left a major player out, and it is just a bit of fun in any case."

Dowell: no bones broken, and he certainly has been worth what we paid for him, imo.

As with so much of our squad, he needs add a bit more to his repertoire to be fully considered Premier League complete.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Judging the transfer value of our squad at this point in time would be pretty tough as a majority of it is locked up in the potential of player's we've not seen much of yet. Also depressed Covid transfer markets outside of the Premier League.

McGovern, Krul, Pukki, Rupp, Hanley, McLean, Zimmermann, Gibson, Lees-Melou, Byram - I think most of those players are now in the 'more valuable to us as players and people than they would be as transfer fees' category. Championship spending has been kneecapped by Covid so even though a lot of them are proven top end Championship players I doubt many would sell to the division right now, not for enough to make it worth our while anyway.

Giannoulis is probably worth a decent chunk more than the 6m we signed him for. We signed him towards the end of his previous contract from a club that needed the money. He's a 25 year old Greek international who looks like he could be a proper Premier League player.

Rashica looks like he could be a bargain, even at 10m.

Current form and a shortish contract mean Cantwell is probably not as valuable as he was a couple of seasons ago.  Hope this one gets sorted out, new contract, a few more good years before a megabux move with the guy going out as a local hero. Kind of expecting the opposite though, out of the door in January or next summer for not a lot for not a lot of money followed by interviews about how we didn't respect him enough.

Dowell is on the up but probably not up enough for a bigger club to come in for him. Sorensen and Placheta, who knows if they'll even play for Norwich again.

Max Aarons is obviously our most valuable as it stands. Could see it going to a decent chunk more than £25m if a couple of big teams need a new right back next year.

Tzolis is probably the signing we made this summer with the most intent of flipping in a couple of years, early signs good too. Sargent feels like who might be at CR longer term.

If Omobamidele is improving as fast as we're lead to believe then we should be expexting a Godfrey tier fee in the future.

Not seen enough of Idah or Mumba to judge really. A lot more than the 350k we apparently signed Mumba for though.

So basically if somebody offered us £106m for our entire squad i think we'd tell them to **** off.

The real strength of the Pl compared to other top leagues is the quality of it's mid table to lower clubs. If you plonked us in La Liga or Bundesliga for example we would survive comfortably although we'd still get torn apart by their top teams. 

I think this is why English clubs have often underperformed in the CL when compared to German and Spanish clubs. The English top clubs have to regularly play a slightly higher quality and much, much more physical caliber of opponent every week in their league compared to what the likes of Real Madrid/Bayern etc have to play against week in week out and I think it takes it's toll on the players when compared to European clubs. 

Not just that but mid table and lower clubs in European top leagues usually play similarly to us and if they don't they are nowhere near as physical as a side like Burnley or as pacy and fit as a side like Palace or Watford. So top PL sides spend most of their games playing against a different type of opponent than other top clubs so I think when they finally get around to facing a team who has similar quality to them, is used to playing a more technical/tactical game and probably doesn't have as much fatigue or injuries to contend then with English clubs often get beaten. 

I think if the super league was a thing I think the top English clubs would perform a lot better than they do now for those reasons. 

Not saying it's the font of knowledge but TransferMarket has our squad valued at about £180m and that seems more accurate to me. 

Cantwell, Aarons and Omobamidele are going to worth in the region of £50m combined.

All the new signings worth around £50-£60m conservatively speaking.

Various squad players including Krul, Hanley, McLean, Rupp, Pukki, Sorensen, Idah and numerous players out on loan making up the rest.

Edited by Beefy is a legend

2 hours ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Not saying it's the font of knowledge but TransferMarket has our squad valued at about £180m and that seems more accurate to me. 

Cantwell, Aarons and Omobamidele are going to worth in the region of £50m combined.

All the new signings worth around £50-£60m conservatively speaking.

Various squad players including Krul, Hanley, McLean, Rupp, Pukki, Sorensen, Idah and numerous players out on loan making up the rest.

Yes, I felt that the value was a little low for our squad especially when you consider the value of the three youngsters you mention, although the contract situation with Todd must be reducing his value at the moment.