Midlands Yellow

Players who never wanted to leave Norwich City

Didn't I read that Kevin Reeves was reluctant to depart to Manchester City at the time (we needed a new stand.)

He wouldn't be so reluctant today given the massive wages difference that has evolved since then.

Ian Crook didn't want to leave either, it seems. To the extent that he didn't 

7 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Didn't I read that Kevin Reeves was reluctant to depart to Manchester City at the time (we needed a new stand.)

He wouldn't be so reluctant today given the massive wages difference that has evolved since then.

Ian Crook didn't want to leave either, it seems. To the extent that he didn't 

Darren Eadie too? Think I remember reading he was very happy here but understood the club was skint. 

Iwan Roberts? Remember reading his book where he found out he wasn't renewing at end of season, and he also got his car broken into or something outside a gym?

Of course, there's one player who knew he was already signed by Blackburn and our chairman insisted he was staying in a presser.  Not sure of the real story on whether he wanted to leave or not, but I remember most supporters at the time feeling that Sutton was somewhat forced out.

6-chirs-sutton-robert-chase.jpg

Someone has recently mentioned meeting Dale Gordon at the airport as he was flying to Glasgow, saying he didn’t want to go.

On the other hand Steve Bruce, Tim Sherwood and Keith O'Neill couldn't get away quickly enough.

Edited by BroadstairsR

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

On the other hand Steve Bruce, Tim Sherwood and Keith O'Neill couldn't get away quickly enough.

Mike Phelan , Danny Mills ,Andy Townsend the way they do not even mention us would deny ever playing here !! 

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Different times. I don't suppose anyone gives a flying **** these days.

But clubs are less loyal too, it swings both ways.

Ian Henderson was a club legend at Rochdale, think he'd done 8 seasons, had turned down more money to join Sheffield United, and was their second highest goalscorer of all time... found out he'd been released through the clubs social media.

16 minutes ago, BigManInTheBarclay said:

Grant Holt

Rubbish, he was desperate to take that extra year at Wigan because he knew his legs had gone. 

Don't blame him at all, had a short window of time at the top end of football and family comes first, but Holt was the epitome of journeyman.

Dave Philips insisted he was not being resigned because the club were spending money on undersoil heating.  However he only ever stayed for the duration of his contract 3 years see time at Coventry, Norwich and elsewhere.  

45 minutes ago, BigManInTheBarclay said:

Grant Holt

He put in a transfer request! 

I know he stayed for a bit after then but only because the club wouldn't let him go

The player I recall was John Newsome, in 94 we paid a Mill for him. The final straw for me and the FAT Controller (R.C). Not sure it’s an urban myth or not but we all heard the story that he was called in to be given the news and was so surprised  and disoriented that he walked home from the meeting. Also, in my opinion he was one of very few excellent central defenders that I’ve seen play for us- over the years we have been poor in that position (with due respect to our current cohort). 

Meet Jon out in Shef quite regularly and have a chat, he knows me as a mad NCFC fan, so indulges me.  He hasn't ever expressed finding out about his departure in those terms in our chats; will ask next time!  Should keep us going until the early hours of the morning.🍻

11 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Someone has recently mentioned meeting Dale Gordon at the airport as he was flying to Glasgow, saying he didn’t want to go.

I was bitterly disappointed when I heard that news. Still hurts.

Ruel Fox even more so, although no idea if he wanted to leave or not. The dismantling of that squad and the general financial mess of that period coupled with our Heysel-related non-trips to Europe have had stifling effects on the club's progress and development which still affect the club to this day, imo.

• Like 1