A great player with lots of potential. I think he should go on loan this season, as I think he needs a little bit more Championship experience.

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Is that a snide remark or just a factual statement about a country of some 5m people not making many waves on the international stage? 🙂

(A lot of us with some Irish blood in our veins have a soft spot for the country.)

I've only really watched Idah in the Irish shirt once, and he didn't particularly impress. It was the performance that he was panned for by Roy Keane and for repeatedly not managing to get himself in the right goalscoring positions when chances arose. He seemed to hang back thus avoiding responsibility and I had thought the same assuming it was a confidence thing. The player first made his mark as a goalscorer, after all.

Game time, probably not yet in the PL, seems to be the answer, with confidence building being the aim.

Otherwise, it will be a case of 'so near yet so far.'

Not to mention football is the third sport in Ireland. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, robert choice said:

Oh dear.

Funny, that's what I think whenever I see you've posted.

You can go on ignore.

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

The difference is, when Pukki isn't scoring, his movement and understanding is still on a different planet to Idah's, so he's still capable of creating space, worrying defenders and opening up opportunities.

When Idah isn't scoring, which he isn't, he doesn't either really show any other qualities. For his size he's muscled off the ball pretty easily, so we don't even really benefit from physical attributes.

Idah has had praise for his work in international games where he did not score. The Guardian writer would disagree with you about his physical attributes and if you watch McLean's disallowed goal against Leicester it completely proves you wrong. 

He is more likely to get on the end of a cross than any of our other forwards which is important if we play wing backs. But let's just judge him on one game - against Liverpool. 

22 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Idah has had praise for his work in international games where he did not score. The Guardian writer would disagree with you about his physical attributes and if you watch McLean's disallowed goal against Leicester it completely proves you wrong. 

He is more likely to get on the end of a cross than any of our other forwards which is important if we play wing backs. But let's just judge him on one game - against Liverpool. 

Yeah you can name one or two occasions where he proves me wrong. Unfortunately they are the rarities and not the common. I dont need a Guardian writer who's likely seen him play less than me tell me I'm wrong. He's right if you look at him as an individual physically,  but he doesn't use it very well. Even in his limited championship appearances he never showed an ability to bully Central defenders.

By all means he could come good but he is no where near Pukki in terms of closeness to a Premier League forward.

Slightly concerns me the money we've spent on Sargent, who has never been prolific and has been pretty ineffective the last 2 games. He has a better first touch than Idah, but arguably Adam is more a natural finisher.

Neither are a replacement for Pukki, just hope he doesn't get injured.

28 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Slightly concerns me the money we've spent on Sargent, who has never been prolific and has been pretty ineffective the last 2 games. He has a better first touch than Idah, but arguably Adam is more a natural finisher.

Neither are a replacement for Pukki, just hope he doesn't get injured.

Sargent is much more likely to bully, harry & generally cause the opposition more problems though - an upgraded Hugill. I agree Adam's possibly a more natural goal scorer, but he's too sporadic at the mo.

On 05/10/2021 at 13:11, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seeing as we have Sargant and we did fork out the big bucks on him anyone feel that Idah should probably be loaned out to Championship side come January? I know some might be 'oh but then we only have two strikers what if injuries..' Well as we have seen Farke seems to think both Tzolis and Rashica can play up top as strikers so

Sargant will make a bigger impact this season than Idah I feel. A loan would have been the obvious next step for Adam. Perhaps we had a primary striker target in mind and it fell through late? Who knows. As you say, Tzolis and Rashica can both play as strikers and we have a couple of interesting u23 strikers

Edited by Michael Starr

1 minute ago, Michael Starr said:

Sargant will make a bigger impact this season than Idah I feel. A loan would have been the obvious next step for Adam. Perhaps we had a primary striker target in mind and it fell through late? Who knows. As you say, Tzolis and Rashica can both play as strikers and we have a couple of interesting u23 strikers

As I said before at the start of last season he came very close to being loaned to Doncaster for the season but at the last minute the loan fell through and we still don't know why

Started and failed to score against Azerbaijan. His brief cameo's aren't going to help him develop or his confidence.

Can't see him getting much game time here before Jan

I still think when we look at him in 10 years or so time, he'll have gone on to a decent career with a Charlton or Oxford, but not anywhere at the top levels. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

Started and failed to score against Azerbaijan. His brief cameo's aren't going to help him develop or his confidence.

Can't see him getting much game time here before Jan

Didn't watch that game but Idah was unwell beforehand so that might explain things.

His game has regressed massively and lack of game time is a contributory factor.

Agree he won't play much as we need impact players and he's well short of that. Feel for the lad really as he's between a rock and a hard place.

Adam is a player I would love to come good for us, but at this moment in time he's just not really cutting the mustard, unfortunately.....

He won't gain confidence and experience being a bit-part bench player here at City.....I would get him out on loan to hopefully a decent Championship side with an experienced and influential coach/manager to then get Adam firing on all cylinders and boost his confidence.....  

28 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Adam is a player I would love to come good for us, but at this moment in time he's just not really cutting the mustard, unfortunately.....

He won't gain confidence and experience being a bit-part bench player here at City.....I would get him out on loan to hopefully a decent Championship side with an experienced and influential coach/manager to then get Adam firing on all cylinders and boost his confidence.....  

Going to a lower club isn't going to do his international career any good and his confidence will suffer. He's not playing as badly as some would make out, none of our strikers have been marvellous, we need to have the same patience with him that we have with Sargent etc. 

Idah links up well with Cantwell and needs someone like him to provide the service that he's not getting at the moment. 

44 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Going to a lower club isn't going to do his international career any good and his confidence will suffer. He's not playing as badly as some would make out, none of our strikers have been marvellous, we need to have the same patience with him that we have with Sargent etc. 

Idah links up well with Cantwell and needs someone like him to provide the service that he's not getting at the moment. 

Well I beg to differ so we'll just have to wait and see....I still think he needs regular game time and not 5 to 15 minute cameos.....as for Todd?.....Well I really do hope he gets himself sorted and rejoins the squad fit an' ready to go.....

Our loans don't actually work very well though, do they? Apart from Cantwell's in Holland, when he came back a different player, and Godfrey at Shrewsbury at a similar time, pretty much all the rest haven't worked - in terms of readying players for the first team. Assuming that Idah will waltz into a Championship team and score a hatful of goals is just ridiculous.

And whilst we're talking about Cantwell, any possibility that he is being slightly frozen out because he won't sign a new contract?

15 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Our loans don't actually work very well though, do they? Apart from Cantwell's in Holland, when he came back a different player, and Godfrey at Shrewsbury at a similar time, pretty much all the rest haven't worked - in terms of readying players for the first team. Assuming that Idah will waltz into a Championship team and score a hatful of goals is just ridiculous.

And whilst we're talking about Cantwell, any possibility that he is being slightly frozen out because he won't sign a new contract?

If he’s sold in January or after the figure certainly won’t start with a 3 as Webber hopes for. 

16 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I don't think that is any different to any other club though. It's just how youth development in general works; a couple of players that come through the Under-18s will make it in the club's first team, but the majority won't. Loaning out youngsters will give pretty much the same success rate, so it shouldn't really be a criticism of the club or the players that most youngsters won't ever quite be good enough for the first team. If the player doesn't do well in their loan spell(s), it's usually just a sign that the player isn't quite up to it rather than anything else.

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

If he’s sold in January or after the figure certainly won’t start with a 3 as Webber hopes for. 

It wont be starting with a two either , unless he's playing regularly and well.

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I don't think that is any different to any other club though. It's just how youth development in general works; a couple of players that come through the Under-18s will make it in the club's first team, but the majority won't. Loaning out youngsters will give pretty much the same success rate, so it shouldn't really be a criticism of the club or the players that most youngsters won't ever quite be good enough for the first team. If the player doesn't do well in their loan spell(s), it's usually just a sign that the player isn't quite up to it rather than anything else.

My point is that the contributors to this thread think that Idah should have a loan to a Championship side. We have no track record of that producing a positive result. I can't remember when we have loaned a player to the Championship, other than to get a contribution to wages (Oliveira, for instance). It's no criticism of the club but I'm puzzled as to why people think that would work for Idah in order to make him ready for our team.

Personally I think an 11 ROI cap international striker probably has as big a case to get a few starts alongside Pukki as does a 16 USA cap striker, given that neither are prolific goalscorers at this level (yet).

Teemu scored against Ukraine. Underlines the issue.

We should appreciate the difficult position Idah is in. He is too promising to loan out and his game time is severely curtailed by Teemu's persistent ability to score when he gets opportunities. And when Teemu doesn't get service, it means switching with Idah makes no difference.

We may be undermining his development. And...what choice do we even have? If Teemu gets injured, we need backup for Sargent.