Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Bombed so much against Liverpool that he is now another, thrown by some, upon the scrapheap of Premier League hopefuls.

Someone said that Carlton Morris 'offered more,' but Morris didn't offer enough despite massive promise. Is Idah another Morris and more suited to lower levels? 

The youngster often seems quite adept at promising so much but then blowing cold, whilst all the time managing to keeping our hopes for him alive by having that odd moment of strength and capability.

Difficult one, but I feel that this article about him in yesterday's Guardian ("Premier League, Ten Talking Points .... " ) maybe rather over-cooks the promise?

"Idah deserves chance as Canaries need goals

Norwich have scored just twice in their seven league games, three fewer than any other team, while only Newcastle have conceded as many as their 16. These are worrying statistics, so given Daniel Farke has few defensive options, perhaps he needs to reimagine his attack. Teemu Pukki is undroppable – without him, that goals-for tally would still sit at zero – but it is time that Adam Idah, who has started every game bar one on the bench, was given a run. During the last international break, Stephen Kenny picked him for all three of Ireland’s games and was rewarded with decent showings. Idah’s qualities of pace, touch, strength and mentality are extremely transferable to a relegation battle, and though it’s unlikely he’ll return the numbers to save Norwich, by running channels and holding it up he’ll give them an out-ball, taking pressure off their defence and building their attackers a platform." Daniel Harris

Pity, but as things stand, that loan to the Championship seems more necessary and pertinent as lack of opportunity, game time and/or confidence would seem a viable excuse for the delay in that much vaunted breakthrough.

That apart, and although article seems to be just another chance to have a dig at Norwich City, the fact that we suddenly seem to have glaring need for an additional scoring forward is just another thing that might need addressing in the January window. We cannot rely upon Teemu Pukki forever and whilst Sargent seems useful he seems a while away from a goal-scoring run of any note for some reason.

Guardiola likes his goals from midfield. Dyche the opposite. Where does Farke place his chips?

  

 

Edited by BroadstairsR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hugely unlucky to have picked up an injury at the same time as Pukki and Hugill last season. This season I think its going to look more and more of a mistake to have not tried to get him a quality Championship loan. Swansea who were screaming for a number 9 and with Martin as manager would have been a good fit, especially with the style they will try to play.

 

Instead he will have bit parts and cup games, a player who still hasn't had a full season in English football. Lungi has had more games than him, so I must confess our desire and dependence on him suddenly being top flight ready is a tad alarming. He can be, but he NEEDS to be playing somewhere.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Idah's development is a bit of a blemish on our development of high potential players.  Seems crazy that a full international can't get on our bench.  He should have gone on championship loans for the last three seasons, the lack of first team games must be getting to him.

Edited by Newtopia
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a really good thread topic! Someone raised this is the Pink Un Q&A sessions yesterday lunchtime and I’ve been wondering the same as the OP since before this season. 

I was a tad concerned that we were entering this season with Pukki and no other known entity in terms of goal scoring. I appreciate Idah had some game time in the Champ but no way was he prolific enough to be Pukki’s deputy.

Unless there’s something we didn’t see in those few pre season games and in training I think this insistence from Farke Idah could make the step up might come round to bite us. Especially given we have no current goal threat from midfield and again we rely on Teemu to bag them (Sergant withstanding as he’s not being played in the same position). 

On another note, at International level, he’s still yet to score a goal, and he might well have tanked despite all the promise. Which is crazy considering all his attributes. Maybe his is an attitude thing, maybe it was his alluding to playing more regularly in an article recently that’s rubbed Farke up the wrong way?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Someone said that Carlton Morris 'offered more,' but Morris didn't offer enough despite massive promise. Is Idah another Morris and more suited to lower levels? 

Morris got 1 game in a yellow shirt, fewer than Jamar Loza, which is a complete waste (particularly of Grant Holt's mentoring) and a bit of a disgrace. Just the 4 divisions between the two now.

Morris offers more than not only Idah but also Hugill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should now really be on the level of Liverpool’s third team of kids at least if we’re talking about him being one for the future. He was nowhere near it. Offered nothing.

Sure, champ loan and see if he can do it at that level but I don’t think he’ll rip up trees there either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

think what's more criminal for these clubs is holding onto to players till they in early to mid 20's many with continuous loans here and there (Morris 25 when he left).  I think for many PL clubs its better to sell these players that are clearly not close to the side with a sell-on % and a buy back clause in case they start to show the promise. 

Think Idah has always come across someone that would 'make it' (in real terms championship+ is making it), 6ft 3, has pace and an eye for goal. Even if you cant pass and have many wholes in your game. You would imagine at least a reliable championship goal scorer. 

 

 

Edited by Baracouda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He did ok when he came on against Burnley and up to the Burnley game, the whole team has been struggling, in case no-one had noticed, so it is no surprise that any player looks as if they are strugging if you single them out. 

So along with the rest of them, he needs to be allowed that time to struggle and find his feet. Hopefullly, the Burnley game will be a caralyst for the team/squad as a whole to start feeling more confident and then we will start seeing better from all of them, including Idah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

He did ok when he came on against Burnley and up to the Burnley game, the whole team has been struggling, in case no-one had noticed, so it is no surprise that any player looks as if they are strugging if you single them out. 

So along with the rest of them, he needs to be allowed that time to struggle and find his feet. Hopefullly, the Burnley game will be a caralyst for the team/squad as a whole to start feeling more confident and then we will start seeing better from all of them, including Idah. 

I don't think anyone here is singling him out, with the greatest respect LDC. I think its more a general concern we all want to see him succeed but thats going to be hard to do coming on in 89th against Burnley here and a League cup start there. It begs the question what the plan is for Adam, as we know from that bit with the Irish press even he appears to be becoming frustrated.. and that not so much that he isnt starting for us, but more the fact he seems to know that he needs football too if he is to stand any chance of making it at the top level,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree that he needs quality first-team game time, but he is an awkward one in a way - if you compare him to Hugill he looks more dynamic and certainly has more pace than Jordan. When you see a tall, strong, quick guy it's common to think "target man", but Idah's not really that sort of classic number 9. At the same time, some of the finishes he's put in (that equaliser against Barnsley, the winner at Huddersfield on the opening day of last season) do hint at a player who knows where to go to pick up openings.

And when you think about it, there have been a fair few taller strikers who have underperformed in the air a bit but technically had something about them, like Tore Andre Flo or Pierre van Hooijdonk.

The real problem for Idah, as it has been for all strikers at Norwich over the last three years, is Teemu Pukki. When you've consistently banged in the goals and the manager only played one up top, anyone coming in to give him a breather is expected to hit the deck running to replace him and also falls short by comparison, not to mention does not have the team built around him to create the sort of chances he needs. Hugill's not going to run the channels and slot one past the keeper often, but hang something up on the penalty spot for him to attack and he'll gladly make a massive nuisance of himself. 

Idah suffers from that and also of being a bit "twixt and between".

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WD40 said:

Should now really be on the level of Liverpool’s third team of kids at least if we’re talking about him being one for the future. He was nowhere near it. Offered nothing.

Sure, champ loan and see if he can do it at that level but I don’t think he’ll rip up trees there either.

Did you actually watch that match? He was up against Konate and Gomez. That centre back pairing is better than at least half of the first choice Premier League centre back pairings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean obviously Ireland see something in him given they seem to think he's almost a first choice stiker and a big one for the future for them..

 

But then again that is Ireland so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean obviously Ireland see something in him given they seem to think he's almost a first choice stiker and a big one for the future for them..

 

But then again that is Ireland so

Is that a snide remark or just a factual statement about a country of some 5m people not making many waves on the international stage? 🙂

(A lot of us with some Irish blood in our veins have a soft spot for the country.)

I've only really watched Idah in the Irish shirt once, and he didn't particularly impress. It was the performance that he was panned for by Roy Keane and for repeatedly not managing to get himself in the right goalscoring positions when chances arose. He seemed to hang back thus avoiding responsibility and I had thought the same assuming it was a confidence thing. The player first made his mark as a goalscorer, after all.

Game time, probably not yet in the PL, seems to be the answer, with confidence building being the aim.

Otherwise, it will be a case of 'so near yet so far.'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Idah clearly has talent. Too many intelligent people in the game rate him highly for that not to be the case.

The conundrum we have is that when he is given an opportunity, he doesn't appear to take it. But that depends on how you are assessing him. Ireland clearly don't use him just as a goal scorer.

Against Liverpool, he created two decent chances for himself and contributed to some others, and that was against Konate and Gomez. If he had buried those two chances, we would all be saying that we have a player on our hands. I realise it's a big "if".

I think it's a confidence thing as much as anything. He's not especially young anymore, and probably should be contributing more even in the PL. He clearly has natural strength and ability, and along with Omobamidele impressed everyone at Colney by his improvement over the summer.

I still think he will have a big role to play this season. A couple of goals for us or Ireland and he could really take off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Is that a snide remark or just a factual statement about a country of some 5m people not making many waves on the international stage? 🙂

(A lot of us with some Irish blood in our veins have a soft spot for the country.)

I've only really watched Idah in the Irish shirt once, and he didn't particularly impress. It was the performance that he was panned for by Roy Keane and for repeatedly not managing to get himself in the right goalscoring positions when chances arose. He seemed to hang back thus avoiding responsibility and I had thought the same assuming it was a confidence thing. The player first made his mark as a goalscorer, after all.

Game time, probably not yet in the PL, seems to be the answer, with confidence building being the aim.

Otherwise, it will be a case of 'so near yet so far.'

 

I think the problem he has with Ireland is that their midfield is quite poor and he's expected to pretty much run all over the place, make a complete nuisance of himself when not in possession with the aim of trying to get it whilst somehow getting into the box for chances as well. Works well with a dominating midfield, less so when the striker's got to help them out.

That could also, to an extent, explain the confidence aspect you rightly mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooner or later this young man needs to start playing regular first team football, and it doesn't look like being in the Premiership with us at the moment.

That being the case he desperately needs a loan move for his sake, the club's sake and for his future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it is something i do not understand in his Career here Pukki has gone SOME spells without scoring 

would it really of hurt to play Idah ? 

only really one way to find out is to play him 

Against Liverpool ok Idah was not at his best but he has not had a run of games and to expect him to just turn it on and off is a bit much 

Pukki is not scoring in the PL so why not try a more Physical player ? who knows Chris sutton did it so why not Idah ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WD40 said:

Should now really be on the level of Liverpool’s third team of kids at least if we’re talking about him being one for the future. He was nowhere near it. Offered nothing.

Sure, champ loan and see if he can do it at that level but I don’t think he’ll rip up trees there either.

It wasn't their third team of kids. And his direct opponents were England international Joe Gomez and £31m summer addition, Ibrahima Konate. I reckoned 8 of their starting line up would have made ours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I don't think the lad is ever going to be good enough for this level. Can see him ending up at Charlton or the like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said this in August and I stand by it:

 

As for Idah, I think he's stuck in limbo again. He isn't quite good enough to start matches regularly with Pukki and now Sargent ahead of him in the pecking order, but we need a third striker and he's a good option. Ultimately, this probably won't do him a lot of good in the long run and it probably would've been better to loan out Idah for a full season of Championship football and kept the (admittedly slightly inferior) Jordan Hugill as third choice striker.

Idah is 20 now and has only started four matches in his professional club career and has played a total of around 800 minutes, which is less than nine full games. I'm a big fan of his and think he has a lot of potential, but these ten minute cameos won't really do much for helping him realise it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, robert choice said:

If your face doesn't fit etc.

 

Big favouritism thing going on at Carrow Road unfortunately.

If by favouritism you mean better players tend to play more than worse players, then yes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

It wasn't their third team of kids. And his direct opponents were England international Joe Gomez and £31m summer addition, Ibrahima Konate. I reckoned 8 of their starting line up would have made ours.

Indeed, Liverpool had two teenagers in their starting XI and we had three. Also, Liverpool had nine senior internationals and we had six.

Yet there seems to be this belief that we fielded a senior side against Liverpool's youth team.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

it is something i do not understand in his Career here Pukki has gone SOME spells without scoring 

would it really of hurt to play Idah ? 

only really one way to find out is to play him 

Against Liverpool ok Idah was not at his best but he has not had a run of games and to expect him to just turn it on and off is a bit much 

Pukki is not scoring in the PL so why not try a more Physical player ? who knows Chris sutton did it so why not Idah ? 

The difference is, when Pukki isn't scoring, his movement and understanding is still on a different planet to Idah's, so he's still capable of creating space, worrying defenders and opening up opportunities.

When Idah isn't scoring, which he isn't, he doesn't either really show any other qualities. For his size he's muscled off the ball pretty easily, so we don't even really benefit from physical attributes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from experience in the Bundesliga, I fail to see what Sargent offers above Idah - an unnecessary and expensive piece of recruitment in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hogesar said:

If by favouritism you mean better players tend to play more than worse players, then yes.

Oh dear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing as we have Sargant and we did fork out the big bucks on him anyone feel that Idah should probably be loaned out to Championship side come January? I know some might be 'oh but then we only have two strikers what if injuries..' Well as we have seen Farke seems to think both Tzolis and Rashica can play up top as strikers so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're continuing with our current formation of 3 at the back and 2 up front, if after 70-75 mins and Sargent is flagging ,if you looked down our bench I'd rather have had Hugill to bring on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seeing as we have Sargant and we did fork out the big bucks on him anyone feel that Idah should probably be loaned out to Championship side come January? I know some might be 'oh but then we only have two strikers what if injuries..' Well as we have seen Farke seems to think both Tzolis and Rashica can play up top as strikers so

agree, think it should be the case for many younger players. Have pre-season with opportunities in league cup and maybe a few games off the bench to impress. If you haven't 'cracked' it by January for any given season, go on loan and try to get a run of games together and see where you are the following season. Those clearly not going to break through in a 2 or 3 season period should be moved on with buy-backs if they suddenly realise their potential. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...