Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Brentford..

4 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Whhhhhhhyyyy aren't we Brentford!!! Waaaaaaaa! 

The most boring and overused retort to a message board post that is simply expressing how frustrating it is and this season particularly, how embarrassing it is that we’re always the worst of the promoted teams.

I do wish we were (like) Brentford on this occasion, or even like Watford and I make make no apologies for that. Good luck to them but I am envious, why wouldn’t you be? Doesn’t mean I’m crying about it, just fed up about it! 

• Like 5

Good for them but let's just remember the season is only 18% over so far, there is a long old way to go. They have certainly benefitted from getting three points in their first game against a covid-ravaged Arsenal at home, they are full of confidence and enjoying the ride so far. We had that tough start after a dogs dinner of a pre season and our confidence is the opposite to theirs, and in terms of keeping our identity we tried that last time and fell a long way short, I believe pragmatism is required at the top level. Getting the balance right between attack and defence is tough when you are down the bottom, yesterday was a very good point but we need to build on that in the coming weeks and start winning some games. Brentford will lose plenty I'm sure, lets not blow too much smoke up their @rses.

I wish I could be pleased for them but I just feel massive resentment, much as I did when Shef U stayed up comfortably last time whilst we were humiliated.

We are the ones who were supposed to have learnt but they are the ones who have got the approach right. I’m not writing us off yet, I still think we “might” turn things around but the odds are against us and I think with the talent Farke has at his disposal and the amount of time we had to prepare for this season (given how early we knew we were up) that should not have been the case. 

• Like 1

Why aren’t we Brentford? Why haven’t we kept the system that got us promoted? Why haven’t our new signings stepped up to the level of this league? Why don’t we get at teams and attack them rather than sitting back passively? Why are we so easy to score against? Why do we spend so long passing around at the back when we should be aiming to get the ball forwards dangerously and with speed?

In short, why are we seemingly totally unable to make a decent fist of staying in this league after going through all the sweat and pain to get promoted?!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Why aren’t we Brentford? Why haven’t we kept the system that got us promoted? Why haven’t our new signings stepped up to the level of this league? Why don’t we get at teams and attack them rather than sitting back passively? Why are we so easy to score against? Why do we spend so long passing around at the back when we should be aiming to get the ball forwards dangerously and with speed?

In short, why are we seemingly totally unable to make a decent fist of staying in this league after going through all the sweat and pain to get promoted?!

Personally I think we’re mentally scarred from recent failures in this league. That 10 game losing streak has played head games with the players still here and Farke. That said the point yesterday could prove invaluable and could be the catalyst to go on some kind of run.  

2 hours ago, Gibbo said:

This season's Sheff Utd it appears... always seems to be one of the promoted teams that does it, just never us!

At some point the bubble will burst though and they will get found out.  Only so long that players can keep playing above themselves week in week out.

Keep your best players, add a few better players, keep playing the way you got promoted. They are doing a much better job than us. There again every team is.

• Like 1

Fixture timing can be helpful.

West Ham played in European competition on Thursday and I don’t know how much rotation took place.

I think the one thing we haven't really learnt from last time around, and Watford and Brentford already had in their squads was that we're are physically too small as a team. When confidence is low and passes started going astray we were not competing physically. Normann changes that a bit.

I'd also be keen to see kabak in a cdm role, not sure if he's done it before, with Normann operating further into the middle of the park. 

Meh. People on here used Sheffield United as a marker last time we were in this situation. That went well.

I'm sure we were used as a marker when we got double promoted and stayed up under Lambert and then Hughton.

All clubs have a moment. I dont for any moment think Brentford are going to become a PL regular.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gibbo said:

I guess we should have seen it coming, as despite our overall dominance last season, we still lost most games against ex prem teams that still had those 6ft2 pacey units in them...  Now we get to play those teams every week.

I remember a few of us being belittled for daring to suggest the results against Watford and Bournemouth were a warning for this season. I still think they were and we didn’t get enough of what was needed this summer in response.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I remember a few of us being belittled for daring to suggest the results against Watford and Bournemouth were a warning for this season. I still think they were and we didn’t get enough of what was needed this summer in response.

That in itself is fairly irrelevant given the starting 11 is completely different. 

31 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Meh. People on here used Sheffield United as a marker last time we were in this situation. That went well.

I'm sure we were used as a marker when we got double promoted and stayed up under Lambert and then Hughton.

All clubs have a moment. I dont for any moment think Brentford are going to become a PL regular.

Don’t forget Leeds Hoggy, your hot tip to go down last season. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

It’s so sad to see them with modern ambitious owners and we are stuck with the cook

When will people on on here get it their skulls its not the owners of this club who actually say who we buy. They might put the money up,but do you really believe they know a Normann from a Gilmore? I doubt it!.

14 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Don’t forget Leeds Hoggy, your hot tip to go down last season. 

Oh yeah, and they're a decent shout for this season. Go figure.

51 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Neither are we

Pressure. Brentford were always brilliant in the championship until the run in where for about 4 years running they blew it.

This year there is no pressure on them whereas we are under the pump from the word go from all sides.

11 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Neither are we

I dont disagree. Any bottom 8 team is one bad season, one poor set of injuries, away from relegation. 

1 hour ago, Bluefloyd said:

That in itself is fairly irrelevant given the starting 11 is completely different. 

I think it’s wholly relevant considering we didn’t sign enough of the types of players we probably needed.

3 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

The most boring and overused retort to a message board post that is simply expressing how frustrating it is and this season particularly, how embarrassing it is that we’re always the worst of the promoted teams.

I do wish we were (like) Brentford on this occasion, or even like Watford and I make make no apologies for that. Good luck to them but I am envious, why wouldn’t you be? Doesn’t mean I’m crying about it, just fed up about it! 

Yeah you are probably right. I'm just bored of the regular comparisons to all the promoted teams and the other bottom dwellers whenever they win. Yes, we could done a better job at hitting the ground running but we can't change the past. All we can do is get behind the team and hope they can turn this season around quickly. 

1 hour ago, mannings bandy legs said:

When will people on on here get it their skulls its not the owners of this club who actually say who we buy. They might put the money up,but do you really believe they know a Normann from a Gilmore? I doubt it!.

True but my point is always the cook point blank refuses to fund the club and is clinging on for dear life with this self funding club nonsense 

Brentford have a decent owner 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Pile on at 9/1. 

I got better at the start of the season I believe, either 12 or 14

7 hours ago, Bluefloyd said:

I think the one thing we haven't really learnt from last time around, and Watford and Brentford already had in their squads was that we're are physically too small as a team. When confidence is low and passes started going astray we were not competing physically. Normann changes that a bit.

I'd also be keen to see kabak in a cdm role, not sure if he's done it before, with Normann operating further into the middle of the park. 

Good idea ! Could build a central midfield similar to BJ and Tettey last time we held our own in the Premier league. Mind you we had a solid central defence in Bassong and Turner. Not sure Hanley and Gibson would cope if Kabak was moved forward.

7 hours ago, Bluefloyd said:

Kabak in the Godfrey role. Interesting.  

5 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Kabak in the Godfrey role. Interesting.  

Our fans love turning a CB into a midfielder for god knows what reason.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Kabak appears to have the attributes required of a cdm and would allow us to play a more attacking shape. It's not a square peg into a round hole. He looks far better on the ball than Amadou for instance. 

52 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I imagine it's Kabak's size, physicality and his obvious ability to travel with the ball that gave rise to the suggestion. 

Definitely not the silliest thing I've ever read on here.