sgncfc

Would you rather be Burnley or Norwich?

11 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

2 incidents.  You had 2 men sent off in that one game; Burnley have had 1 sent off in 4+ years.  We aren't thugs.  The PL is full of lazy fans (led on by lazy journalists) who think that Burnley have a big team full of dirty tacklers, and it's clearly and provably wrong on both counts.

I’ve absolutely nothing against Burnley - some of our best friends are s-t holders, I’ve been a number of times, and we’ve had many weeks away in the gorgeous countryside around Hebden Bridge/Tod.  But this is just utter rubbish: that you’ve not had players sent off merely shows just what’s wrong with the game - staying ‘just’ (barely) within the rules; Tarkowski should have been booked within about 10 seconds of kick-off on Saturday, and other sides (*obviously not Liverpool*) would have expected to see a player sent off for some of the challenges made at the weekend. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Personally I'd take playing decent football and relegation over pragmatic dross and the relative success of surviving in the lower reaches of the Premier League indefinitely. I'd go so far as to say that I wouldn't trade places with Everton who've finished 5-12th for the past 16 seasons; we've had much more fun being relegated and promoted about a dozen times in the same period.

I do, however, maintain that there's a third way. We could actually play decent football and comfortably survive. We just need to be a bit smarter and a bit braver. At the moment we're all over the place but we've built the foundations of a highly entertaining, skilful, dynamic, attacking football team. It absolutely can work.

And no offence to Burnley: they're not just a bunch of morons who kick the crap out of everyone; they actually know how to foul people with enough force to make life painful and difficult for their opponents while picking up a bunch of yellow cards and never getting sent off. It's a bit of an art which we could definitely borrow a little from (a very little, but it's good to know when and where to foul). But I wouldn't be interested in watching their 'style' more than the twice every other season we're forced to play them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Dsr-burnley, we all know how Dyche sets your team up.  Each player takes it in turn to hack an oppo player, taking one for the team before passing the baton on.  It's beyond cynical.  So, not thuggery, but controlled thuggery with Dyche orchestrating the hits.

You need to have a word with the refs.  Second in the PL fair play table last year, with fewer bookings per game than Norwich.  (And obviously far fewer sendings off. How do you get 58 booked and 4 sent off when you're top of the league?)  

I like Norwich.  I like all the small town clubs in the PL, though I suppose Norwich doesn't really count as a "small town",but you're certainly (no offence) not in the Man U or Leeds bracket.  Or even Wolves or Villa, really.  Obviously I don't want you finishing fourth bottom while we finish third bottom, but as long as we're fifth bottom you can have fourth bottom with pleasure.  But like so many clubs, some of your people have false ideas about Burnley based on nonsense.  I even heard a professional journalist in the Daily Telegraph use the term "Big Ben Mee".  He's probably the smallest centre half in the PL.  It's laughable.  They have the idea that Burnley are a "team of giants" (that one was Daily Telegraph) and a team of thugs, and they will not see that it is false.

Edited by dsr-burnley

5 hours ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

What would get me about Burnley is the lack of a vision or apparent long-term plan. 

What long term plan should we have?  Where can a small town club with no rich backers, truly expect to aim for?  At the moment the plan appears to be spend carefully, keep our best players long term, aim for a top half finish now and then and the occasional qualification for Europe.  There will be relegation battles along the way.  But can we reasonably plan to be any better?  Could Norwich, for that matter?

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

What long term plan should we have?  Where can a small town club with no rich backers, truly expect to aim for?  At the moment the plan appears to be spend carefully, keep our best players long term, aim for a top half finish now and then and the occasional qualification for Europe.  There will be relegation battles along the way.  But can we reasonably plan to be any better?  Could Norwich, for that matter?

Think most people here respect what Burnley are doing but a lot of us probably wouldn't want to pay to watch it but yeah, I'm sure you hear that constantly. I'm sure there's more stuff going on behind the scenes at Burnley in terms of growing the club, you seem to be doing a better job than us under McNally at least.

Believe it or not based on 1 point from 7  and a bus parking at TM but our strategy involves getting young (or undervalued) players on the pitch and playing attacking football.  Not quite firing on all cylinders yet as you can see. Basically we want to have a lot of youngsters that grow with our team before moving on for big profits. Then with those profits buying better squad guys but also an even higer grade of young player which which will then produce even bigger profits. There's the reason we spent 10m on 19 year old Cristos Tzolis instead of giving big wages to a Danny Rose type character, who would potentially give us a stronger footing now.

I think what we're doing is both optimistic and ambitious but others obviously disagree with me there.

• Like 1

Burnley all day, I think people make more about their style than what it is, they actually play alright football at times. They play to their capabilities and are good at it and often get results, unlike us who try and play too much pretty football and get beat every week. They finished 7th just a couple of seasons ago which got  them into The Europa League. 

Edited by Alex
  • Sad 1