cambridgeshire canary

So where do Tzolis/Cantwell/Rashica fit in now?

Just now, Jim Smith said:

He doesn’t need to be defensive though. There are two other central midfielders there. Yes he needs to “defend from the front” but his work ethic is actually very good. 

I agree but people are quoting him in a defensive  midfield position almost and that’s obviously not his game.

One the whole it’s going to be a very interesting season in how DF sets the team up.

Money spent on wide players yet Pukki isn’t that sort of striker to feed off those and I don’t see any other forward being good enough either.

But I’m not a footy manager, thank goodness. 😁

16 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I hope not because he was generally cr*p and messed up a number of our best attacking situations 

Can't agree with that at all. I like the way he plays and he will get more effective as he adapts. He's a real team player.

Would like to see more of Dowell, is creative and also can take a decent free-kick...........that ability could be the difference between drawing and winning.

Quite frankly.... is it fair to throw stones at any of the largely unknown foreign players for 'not being good enough'? Our recruitment set up brought them here and they have simply grabbed the chance to play PL football.

The problem really lies elsewhere and not with them.

1 minute ago, robert choice said:

Quite frankly.... is it fair to throw stones at any of the largely unknown foreign players for 'not being good enough'? Our recruitment set up brought them here and they have simply grabbed the chance to play PL football.

The problem really lies elsewhere and not with them.

Give it a rest. Normann is proving already how good he can be, Rashica/Tzolis and Sargent barely got going yet. Rashica looked excellent when he came on yesterday and Sargent was a handful too. Tzolis has already proven his ability against Bn'**** and will be played in to the team gradually through the season, as he settles.

Clearly they know tactics far better than us (at least you’d hope), but I cannot see us scoring many in the 5-3-2 formation, unless it evolves into one of the 3 playing a CAM role, the other 2 CDM and the wingbacks almost making it a 3-4-1-2.

I wonder why we abandoned the 4-2-3-1 that won us the championship so easily and the players clearly felt comfortable

• Like 1

Do we need 3 defensive midfielders when we have 3 central defenders? I think it will develop as the defence gains more confidence. 

Sargent is one for the future, he hasn't got the skill level of the players he is keeping out of the side. We have paid a lot of money for him, he needs to be getting on the end of crosses and making his physical presence felt in the danger areas. 

I notice not a single person has advocated dropping Pukki, personally I feel he isn’t going to get the service that he needs and doesn’t offer enough of a combined threat up top at present, would be keen to see Tzolis and Sargent paired up front as they seemed to have a good understanding based on the Bournemouth game.

• Like 1

Question is, does Cantwell want to play? Family reason for him not being in the squad, could cover up all sorts of goings on.

Time DF told the fans more details. After all even at the start of last season he sulked about not getting the move, he thought he should have to the PL. clearly no club came in, otherwise, as always we would have sold him pronto.

7 hours ago, fredherring said:

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Dowell. Immense at end of last season, now totally ditched. 

We bought and have players for an attacking line of three, and aren't playing any. 

We just can't score in the formation we are using. It cannot continue. 

That's because we've ditched the No.10. I was assuming we bought Rash/Tzol to play a three with Cantwell/Dowell behind Pukki/Sargent, but because we're so weak defensively we've ditched that, and have to pack 5 at the back.

I know there's a need to sure up the defence but it's a shame. I'm sure we'll see Rash/Tzol integrated into the team, but if it's only at the expense of Pukki/Sargent as a front two, I really can't see us scoring many goals this season 

On 03/10/2021 at 11:16, Ash.m87 said:

Clearly they know tactics far better than us (at least you’d hope), but I cannot see us scoring many in the 5-3-2 formation, unless it evolves into one of the 3 playing a CAM role, the other 2 CDM and the wingbacks almost making it a 3-4-1-2.

I wonder why we abandoned the 4-2-3-1 that won us the championship so easily and the players clearly felt comfortable

It's early days but as Normann adjusts to the team and the PL he will remarkably provide both the DM cover for the defence and act as deep playmaker when we have the ball. This is David Freezer's view on that:

"Normann is putting in the hard yards and working to provide defensive protection but is also the man the City players are regularly looking to in possession. Nick Pope made a decent save from the 25-year-old's free-kick after Kabak’s rampaging run but was left stranded as Normann pulled the trigger on a powerful, swerving shot from a tight angle - after a pirouette away from two markers - which clipped the crossbar. With a first 90 minutes in the tank, the Rostov loanee is swiftly finding form in England and pushing up the midfield standards."

19 hours ago, Bradwell canary said:

Time DF told the fans more details.

No it isn't. Entitled much? He's a football player, you don't have the tiniest of rights to know what's troubling Cantwell at the moment.

As for Tzolis, Rashica and Cantwell, along with Aarons, they are our four most valuable and sellable assets. Regardless of whether or not Farke wants to play 5-3-2 for the rest of the season, I don't think Webber would permit it. A season on the bench, or a season being thrown on with 10 minutes left, will degrade their values and we wouldn't be able to sell them on for what the business plan requires in the event of relegation.

For that reason I believe we will at some point revert to a more winger-friendly formation. Without maintaining the values of Tzolis, Rashica and Cantwell, we can kiss goodbye to the self-sustaining approach.

Why do people think that because we played 532 in the last two games that we are going to do that for the rest of the season?

I've read too much on here in the past about Farke not having a Plan B. Well this season he has. This season he has the players to do that and I am sure we will see different formations as the season goes on.

Against Burnley, who are physical and renown for throwing in crosses all match, it was sensible to play with 3 centre backs but our next match is against Brighton. Who knows, a different opposition, a different formation, personally I think that will be the case.

I  fully expected us to sell Cantwell in the summer to pay for new players and I would not have been too disappointed if we had as we now have a surfeit of attacking midfielders.

As we saw on Saturday there was no place in the team for Gilmour, Rashica, Tzolis or Cantwell. Unless there is an injury crisis they are never all going to start in the same team. Our transfer policy should have concentrated on getting in fewer but better players rather than two for each position some of whom do not get a game.

I know some previous managers also believed in the philosophy two players for each position but we don't have that luxury. 

Strength in the first 11 should have been a priority over strength in depth.

On 03/10/2021 at 09:08, Baracouda said:

maybe at home we will play an 'AM' behind 2 strikers to get the front 3. with 2 DM's and back 5. 

This is what I think, although not only at hime.

I also expect Sargent to drop out of the side for a Tzolis or Rashica for a different threat.

Some people clearly can't see past their own nose in this thread. It's sad.

Edited by KeiranShikari

15 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

This is what I think, although not only at hime.

I also expect Sargent to drop out of the side for a Tzolis or Rashica for a different threat.

Some people clearly can't see past their own nose in this thread. It's sad.

Think Sargent will stay in the side for a while, particularly away from home. His tracking back and helping the midfield out is certainly a plus. For the short-term if we can get a defensive solidarity like Farke's first season. Pick up a few cleansheets and if someone can become the 'Maddison' in terms of goals. We might scramble a few wins. Allows the younger players of which we have many, to progress, allow the new players to 'gel' and get to January and take stock. 

I just hope we don’t put out exactly the same team in our upcoming home games because I think that would be a big error. Maybe at Chelsea away it’s ok (although I’d still want more pace on the break) but for the home games we need to have more of the ball and offer more for the opposition to worry about or we will get dominated. We need to start targeting some wins. 

On 03/10/2021 at 11:16, Ash.m87 said:

As for the 4-3-2-1 which worked so well in the Championship, we don't yet have the players who can make that work in the PL. We've improved, but the level is so much higher that we're left far too open at the back. The key to where we go from here is Normann, who is still adjusting and building match fitness - Burnley was his first full 90 minutes. If he can provide the DM cover and also be a deep playmaker and goal threat when we have the ball, then the new 3-5-2 can start producing goals as well.

Edited by Yelloow Since 72