cambridgeshire canary

So where do Tzolis/Cantwell/Rashica fit in now?

Given that we have now decided to go with a wingerless formation and I assume Farke will be sticking to this given our success with it at Burnley how do our wingers fit in? We did of course spend two record transfers on Rashica and Tzolis only to now seem to no longer want to use thier position they play at.Are they now just stuck being played at striker? Being subbed on at the 85th minute as a wingback? If we are going to be sticking to five at the back I would like to see us try out a 5-2-3

fifa-5-2-3.jpg

Cantwell for PLM or Kenny.

Tzolis or Rashica for Sargent.

Think our attacking players would be a lot more fluid/threatening with those changes.

• Like 4

Rashica played and will almost certainly be used in the front two at some point this season. I could see him coming in for Sargent against Brighton so not sure that there's an issue there.

Tzolis, it depends on where he can play and how adaptable he is. 

I'm also not convinced this is the formation Farke will stick with all season. It make sense at the moment and gets the best out of some of our players. Giannoulis clearly thrives in it, Hanley seems to enjoy playing in a back three and Normann is comfortable playing slightly behind the central midfielders.

However it also asks a lot of PLM and McLean and I'm not sure that we have another player who can play that role. So any injuries in the centre of midfield and we are going to be looking at a change again.

Edited by 1902
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Cantwell for PLM or Kenny.

Tzolis or Rashica for Sargent.

Think our attacking players would be a lot more fluid/threatening with those changes.

You think Cantwell can do the defensive work to play where PLM and Kenny are now? Im not saying he couldn't, just don't see it myself.

Agree about Rashica and Tzolis.

• Like 1

I think any of those can play in a front two. Sargent is more of an SS, and Cantwell would enjoy playing with the freedom to move around, Tzolis and Rashica have both played there in cup and pre season games

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

You think Cantwell can do the defensive work to play where PLM and Kenny are now? Im not saying he couldn't, just don't see it myself.

Agree about Rashica and Tzolis.

Yes. In a 3 like that there has to be room for a more creative player as the more advanced of the three midfielders. Todd’s work rate has never been a problem. 

I get why we’ve done it for these games to try snd stop the rot but we need more cohesion snd pace going forward if we are going to stick with this formation or otherwise we will barely score a goal. 

both can play as centre forward, I would imagine they will get some game time in that position. 

Tzolis might be able to play as the 'wing-back', considering he got stuck in against Arsenal and tracked back. 

Sargent tracked back and was helping defend quite a lot. At the moment when we are looking to grind results out, its an important element. 

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes. In a 3 like that there has to be room for a more creative player as the more advanced of the three midfielders. Todd’s work rate has never been a problem. 

I get why we’ve done it for these games to try snd stop the rot but we need more cohesion snd pace going forward if we are going to stick with this formation or otherwise we will barely score a goal. 

maybe at home we will play an 'AM' behind 2 strikers to get the front 3. with 2 DM's and back 5. 

Just now, Jim Smith said:

It's a very fair opinion, and I agree that if Cantwell can be effective tracking back (even as the most advanced midfielder, it's still a lot of defensive work playing as we did yesterday) then it could really change the dynamics of that three.

I actually think that if you are right and Farke agrees, then we may see a lot more of 5-3-2 this season. Personally I'm ok with this as our wingbacks got up the pitch this time, unlike the first half against Everton.

Just now, 1902 said:

It's a very fair opinion, and I agree that if Cantwell can be effective tracking back (even as the most advanced midfielder, it's still a lot of defensive work playing as we did yesterday) then it could really change the dynamics of that three.

I actually think that if you are right and Farke agrees, then we may see a lot more of 5-3-2 this season. Personally I'm ok with this as our wingbacks got up the pitch this time, unlike the first half against Everton.

Gilmour could do it as well, like v Liverpool in the Cup. 

2 minutes ago, Baracouda said:

maybe at home we will play an 'AM' behind 2 strikers to get the front 3. with 2 DM's and back 5. 

Agree. 

I think our formation and the way we play will probably evolve as the season goes on, for the last two games there has been a need to tighten up at the back after previous results, on another day we might have got something at Everton and then did so yesterday but at home it's quite possible that another attacking player will start. I really wouldn't get too hung up on who is or isnt playing right now or in what formation, it's a long season with lots of games and lots of courses for different horses as required.

• Like 2

They haven’t started for like two who games now, so we should probably give them the Drmic treatment and stick them in the under-23s, remove all their possessions from their senior team locker, delete them from the NCFC WhatsApp group chat and then loan them out to FC Basil and Rotherham before all their contracts are finally up and we can be done with them for good.

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We won't even stick to this shape all season anyway.

I agree, I am expecting us to slowly spread the play more and tweak the personal to play different teams.  We will need pace against Brighton, Duffy and Burn are good players but last night they were matching up man for man at the back all game.  Hence they looked like a great team, and pressed well.  Arsenal got three good chance simply on the break.

9 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Gilmour could do it as well, like v Liverpool in the Cup. 

Now there's a player I want to see more of. With Normann in the side, I think that Gilmour may thrive. A lot less pressure to be the sole outlet for pressure which I think really got to him in the first few games.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Dowell. Immense at end of last season, now totally ditched. 

We bought and have players for an attacking line of three, and aren't playing any. 

We just can't score in the formation we are using. It cannot continue. 

• Like 3

Even if we stick to this formation any one of Rashica, Tzolis or even Cantwell could slot in for one of the front 2 and play the deeper role. 

6 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

The next stage of Norwich’s evolution is Rachica in for Sargent. We should be more potent going forwards. 

Don't underestimate Sargent and what he brings to the team. He is a real pain to opposition players and can create space for others - and this is key to a Farke team approach. Rashica looked good so he will get plenty of involvement, as I am sure Tzolis will, once he settles to the task, but I think Sargent will be a regular and prove a great asset as the season progresses. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Don't underestimate Sargent and what he brings to the team. He is a real pain to opposition players and can create space for others - and this is key to a Farke team approach. Rashica looked good so he will get plenty of involvement, as I am sure Tzolis will, once he settles to the task, but I think Sargent will be a regular and prove a great asset as the season progresses. 

'He runs around well, always full of energy and he's great with the lads'

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, fredherring said:

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Dowell. Immense at end of last season, now totally ditched. 

We bought and have players for an attacking line of three, and aren't playing any. 

We just can't score in the formation we are using. It cannot continue. 

Dowell doesn’t have the defensive work ethic from what I’ve seen of him and he’s not the most mobile.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I like Sargent, he has a place and could be a long term replacement for Pukki especially as he’ll enjoy having wingers firing in crosses and we have Tzolis and Rachica in the building.

31 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I hope not because he was generally cr*p and messed up a number of our best attacking situations 

Even  In my limited football knowledge I couldn’t put defensive and Cantwell in the same sentence.

2 minutes ago, Mr Tea said:

Even  In my limited football knowledge I couldn’t put defensive and Cantwell in the same sentence.

He doesn’t need to be defensive though. There are two other central midfielders there. Yes he needs to “defend from the front” but his work ethic is actually very good. 

Whatever you try to do with this assortment of 'market stall bargains' it won't make a team capable of competing at the top level.

It's a lash up just like it was last time and hardly surprising when you have the exact same people in place making the exact same errors of judgement.