Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

The media’s new favourite stat for us

It's not going to be a pretty season unless we start winning a game or two soon. Just thankful most teams around us haven't got going yet either. 5 points gap isn't too bad at this stage, but I'm struggling to see where these points are going to come from

7 hours ago, kenfoggo said:

A head coach who has lost 75% of the Premiership games where he has been in charge. Fact.

People in glass houses.

Paul Cook has won 6 out of 28 games, two leagues below. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AJ said:

It's not going to be a pretty season unless we start winning a game or two soon. Just thankful most teams around us haven't got going yet either. 5 points gap isn't too bad at this stage

3 points off 17th (+ goal difference), not 5

9 hours ago, kenfoggo said:

A head coach who has lost 75% of the Premiership games where he has been in charge. Fact.

It’s particularly amusing when a post has ‘. Fact’ in it. Makes the point the poster is trying to make (which could well be valid) automatically too funny and self indulgent to take seriously.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

It’s particularly amusing when a post has ‘. Fact’ in it. Makes the point the poster is trying to make (which could well be valid) automatically too funny and self indulgent to take seriously.

Fact.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

3 points off 17th (+ goal difference), not 5

Honestly, whoever comes 17th is going to have a stupidly low points total this year by the looks of things. It's definitely a 35 pointer for me.

Edited by 1902

No matter what way you look at it Farke is one of the worst premier league managers in history yet we reward him with a 4 year contract

you couldn’t make it up 

• Like 1

We have exactly the same people in charge who produced the last humiliation at this level.

Buying a whole team of 'untried and inexperienced' players to compete in top level competition without seeing most of them kick a ball was sheer madness.

27 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

No matter what way you look at it Farke is one of the worst premier league managers in history yet we reward him with a 4 year contract

you couldn’t make it up 

Well two promotions in his first four years suggests he has something about him, wouldn't you say?  As for premier league, any sensible person would realise the problems we had last time with injuries and covid amounted to a season that effectively kyboshed our chances. 

37 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

you couldn’t make it up 

Perhaps the contract was a reward for being one of the best championship managers in history. 

One point out of a possible 21!  An away draw at Burnley is now considered a great result. NCFC are in big trouble. It is evident  that we are not serious about staying in the Premiership and establishing the Club there. None of this would matter if we were playing attractive football that was entertaining to watch. But no, we have managed to score one goal from free play and one goal from a penalty! Two goals in seven games. The Club has no relevance in this league just making up the numbers and being the easiest 3 points most opponents will achieve this year. 

On 03/10/2021 at 09:29, 1902 said:

Honestly, whoever comes 17th is going to have a stupidly low points total this year by the looks of things. It's definitely a 35 pointer for me.

It could be even less. 29 points would have had you safe last season. In fact, you have to go back to 2016 to find a season where a team got relegated with 35+ points, and that was Newcastle with 37. We went down one place below them with 34.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenfoggo said:

One point out of a possible 21!  An away draw at Burnley is now considered a great result. NCFC are in big trouble. It is evident  that we are not serious about staying in the Premiership and establishing the Club there. None of this would matter if we were playing attractive football that was entertaining to watch. But no, we have managed to score one goal from free play and one goal from a penalty! Two goals in seven games. The Club has no relevance in this league just making up the numbers and being the easiest 3 points most opponents will achieve this year. 

You're that plum from Talksport aren't you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kenfoggo said:

Agreed - what is in no doubt is that the first glimpse of the sun rising (if that's what Burnley was), MUST be followed by a 'run' of wins / draws starting with Brighton. If all that happens is that we have to wait until sometime in November until we get our second point then we are definitely on course to garner less points than the Derby haul of 11!  

The two goals in SEVEN games (both from same player) and only ONE from open play is simply atrocious but the Happy Clappers continue to dig an ever bigger hole to fall into.

Yep, as many have said, the Burnley result has to be judged in the context of the next few games. If it turns into a confidence-boosting turning point and triggers 10 points in the next 5 games, then it may well prove to be the defining point of the season. If we go on to fail to get points from Brighton, Leeds and Southampton and Brentford away, then not winning at winless-at-home-in-nearly-9-months Burnley will prove to be a costly slip up and disappointing missed opportunity.

One minute I'm confident we can go on a run, after all we did it that time with Hughton when we went something like 10 games without a defeat and boasted the best record in Europe and that was with a manager who ended up being a bit of a turkey; Farke certainly can't be described as that regardless of what some of the numpties on here say. But then you think of the fact that we've mustered one goal in open play in 7 matches and have the joint worst goals conceded in the league and I start to think it's my heart and not my head that is the source of that confidence. But then I go and look at the league table and I don't really see too much to fear in any of the teams right the way up to 14th and start to believe we can finish ahead of at least three of them.

Normally I look forward to finding out how a season pans out, but now more than ever I'm dreading it and would like to just press a button and fast forward to May to find out whether we do turn it around.

On 03/10/2021 at 10:57, robert choice said:

We have exactly the same people in charge who produced the last humiliation at this level.

Buying a whole team of 'untried and inexperienced' players to compete in top level competition without seeing most of them kick a ball was sheer madness.

Which is why there won’t be anywhere left to hide. We tried not spending and now we spent. We changed personnel but it all looks much of a muchness…this is about the tactics and leadership no question now. 

• Like 1

Wait for : NCFC are the first PL team to be deducted points for "compromising the integrity of the competition" 

Is there a manager with a worse record, over i don’t know say more than 20 games in charge in the premiership than Farke? 

phew I just checked and Paul Jewel of down the road fame was in charge of derby for 24 winless games before he got sacked. 

Edited by By Hook or Ian crook

Discussing Farke's record in the Premiership, anyone looking for a fair and balanced view on his record would presumably also look at how well he did last season and also a couple of seasons before that ?  Now, let me remember, how did those go...

All this "16 defeats in a row" strikes me as a bit 1984 - so, we simply airbrush out of history the intervening season do we, and act like it never happened ?

I remember when we were promoted under Worthy and we'd been out of the Prem for about 10 years, and they were bringing up stats about our record in our previous Prem season as if they had some conceivable relevance to that season.

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

Discussing Farke's record in the Premiership, anyone looking for a fair and balanced view on his record would presumably also look at how well he did last season and also a couple of seasons before that ?  Now, let me remember, how did those go...

All this "16 defeats in a row" strikes me as a bit 1984 - so, we simply airbrush out of history the intervening season do we, and act like it never happened ?

I remember when we were promoted under Worthy and we'd been out of the Prem for about 10 years, and they were bringing up stats about our record in our previous Prem season as if they had some conceivable relevance to that season.

The stats are true - for this level. We all know we had a great championship season in the middle but that doesn’t count at this level. Here we get rinsed over and over again and struggle to compete - and some of that is down to our recruitment and tactics - we are not physical enough.