Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

Exactly what was needed

I’m not sure why there’s still so much misery after that game, this was the kind of dogged, roll-your-sleeves-up defensive performance we didn’t see 2 years ago, and the sheer desire to protect our goal that many have accused Farke of not being able to create in a team. Not to mention our record against Burnley is also shocking! I’d have bitten your hand off for this result before the game. 

Yes we still look toothless going forwards but it’s surely a necessary evil to just dig in while the team continues to settle and build a bit of confidence. Today was the first proper step and there’ll be a few more ups and downs before we get to the levels needed, but I think we can get there (not sure if it’ll be enough to stay up but certainly in terms of competing with the sides in and around us at least).

Thought the back 5 did a great job, and the 3 in midfield got stuck in and we actually looked a bit more threatening in possession (much more so than versus Everton IMO). Much more like a team! McLean also much improved from last week and we might start to see a spine forming in our team now with Kabak and Normann at the heart of it. 

It’s nothing to get carried away over yet but I feel we are starting to see some green shoots coming through, it’s still very early in the season and there’s still plenty of room for us to grow into it. 

• Like 11

"Farkes incapable of setting a team up to defend a grind out a point" - Posters as recent as this season, even last week.

"Setting up to defend and grind out a point is sooo BOOORINNNGGG" - Same posters.

Look, it was a naff match from a footballing perspective. Burnley were right up for it and tried to Burnley us. We stood up to it. We didn't create much. Neither did they.

• Like 2

Just now, hogesar said:

"Farkes incapable of setting a team up to defend a grind out a point" - Posters as recent as this season, even last week.

"Setting up to defend and grind out a point is sooo BOOORINNNGGG" - Same posters.

Look, it was a naff match from a footballing perspective. Burnley were right up for it and tried to Burnley us. We stood up to it. We didn't create much. Neither did they.

Setting up a team to simply defend is boring. The game itself wasn’t great. Good to get off the mark though and we did look the occasional threat in the other direction. 

• Like 1

Take that all day long . Anyone moaning about lack of forward play is a kn0b. 

Clean sheet away to a physical side trying to kick us off the park is a decent result . 

We can do it on a wet Saturday afternoon  in Burnley . 👍

• Haha 1

It's something to build on. It's a point on the board and a clean sheet. Hopefully the boys will gain a bit of confidence from this.

Burnley away is a grind and I think most fans would've taken this before the game.

After reading some of the other nonsensical posts on here it's  good to read the OP. Thanks Hank. Couldn't agree more.👏👏👏

Not quite exactly what was needed but it’s stopped the run of defeats and  it’s a start. Defended very solidly so that’s a massive improvement but the negative side is we haven’t looked at all threatening going forwards now in 7 games. If Farke can build on this defensive performance and somehow add a cutting edge then we will be in business. 

3 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Take that all day long . Anyone moaning about lack of forward play is a kn0b. 

Clean sheet away to a physical side trying to kick us off the park is a decent result . 

We can do it on a wet Saturday afternoon  in Burnley . 👍

Call me overly ambitious but it would of been nice to win a game against another side in the bottom 3. We did offer more of a threat than previous games but still only one goal from open play in the league thus far. 

To me Burnley looked as bad as us today and had we shown a bit more ambition I think we could of come away with all 3 points today. 

A step in the right direction yes but a missed chance for a first win also probably yes. 

• Like 1

Look at the 'be honest' thread. Pretty much everyone expected a bullied 2-0 defeat today. Really pleased the players stood up to be counted.

• Like 2

I'm relieved that the losing streak has come to an end. 

And I hope we stick with Normann-Melou-McLean as our first choice midfield, Gilmour offers nothing when not in possession. 

• Like 1

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm relieved that the losing streak has come to an end. 

And I hope we stick with Normann-Melou-McLean as our first choice midfield, Gilmour offers nothing when not in possession. 

Personally I think McLean is still the weak link at this level (although id be happy if he proved me wrong) and that spot is up for grabs by someone who can put in some good performances. 

10 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Call me overly ambitious

Ok . You’re overly ambitious 😂

In years gone by I would agree - but from some of the rubbish I’ve seen this year I’ll take it . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

Just now, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Ok . You’re overly ambitious 😂

In years gone by I would agree - but from some of the rubbish I’ve seen this year I’ll take it . 

I think because we’ve seen such drivel this season so far is all the more reason to keep ones standards high. There some saying about shooting for the stars and if you miss you still land on the moon but that’s a bit philosophical for me 😂

• Like 1

If we set out to win but could only manage a draw then that would be different. In reality, there won't be an easier away fixture in the league this season. Are we saying we're simply not good enough to win an away game so are going to aim for a draw every time?

Brentford have beaten Arsenal and drawn against Liverpool by playing their tried and tested style of attacking football; a style that we were able to beat last season by playing out own, better brand.

Why should we celebrate playing utter dross and just hanging on?

The manner of the performance today leaves me with no green shoots of hope to hang on to. We weren't unlucky, we didn't create anything at all. Burnley had a couple of great chances and the majority of the possession and territory.

Or is this just a temporary tactical shift? If so, how can we possibly hope to work towards something better without actual trying it on the pitch?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Petriix said:

If we set out to win but could only manage a draw then that would be different. In reality, there won't be an easier away fixture in the league this season. Are we saying we're simply not good enough to win an away game so are going to aim for a draw every time?

Brentford have beaten Arsenal and drawn against Liverpool by playing their tried and tested style of attacking football; a style that we were able to beat last season by playing out own, better brand.

The manner of the performance today leaves me with no green shoots of hope to hang on to. We weren't unlucky, we didn't create anything at all. Burnley had a couple of great chances and the majority of the possession and territory.

Or is this just a temporary tactical shift? If so, how can we possibly hope to work towards something better without actual trying it on the pitch?

I thought it was the right approach, make us harder to beat, get a few points on the board, then release the attacking options when we have some solidity and confidence.  It is the classic repost when you want to make sure you compete, go toe to toe and work hard. Very happy with the approach, soemthing to build on 

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I’m happy to get a point but to be honest against any other side than 3rd bottom I think we’d of got pretty heavily beat. 

Against some of the top sides, Burnley would have had a player or two sent off. Especially if they had been away from home. The players got stuck in and there was no lack of commitments. Sargant and Pukki are yet to gel, but on another day one of the through balls would have fell right for Pukki. There's a lot more to do, but today gave me a belief that we have the players to do it.

3 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Against some of the top sides, Burnley would have had a player or two sent off. Especially if they had been away from home. The players got stuck in and there was no lack of commitments. Sargant and Pukki are yet to gel, but on another day one of the through balls would have fell right for Pukki. There's a lot more to do, but today gave me a belief that we have the players to do it.

Definitely a step in the right direction albeit a small one 

A good point and rare display of defensive solidity.

But if you can't understand people being disappointed about failing to score in what is, by form, the easiest away game in the whole league, then I don't know what to tell you.

If we should be happy with a point at a team who haven't won at home since January, what chance do we realistically have? Accept that we're only going to get 3 or 4 points on our travels? That means we'd probably have to win 11 home games. We've only got 16 left, and that includes Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea to visit.

• Like 4

at least media will stop count 2 digit looses in a row .

Was shame all this 16 defeats in a row under Farke name on SKY!

Some hopes but still not creative enough and with this approach we will concede less but c=will create less too !

all in all at least we give a fight finally until last kick of the game .Brighton game already  massive one!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

But if you can't understand people being disappointed about failing to score in what is, by form, the easiest away game in the whole league, then I don't know what to tell you.

If we should be happy with a point at a team who haven't won at home since January, what chance do we realistically have? Accept that we're only going to get 3 or 4 points on our travels? That means we'd probably have to win 11 home games. We've only got 16 left, and that includes Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea to visit.

I don't think it is the point. It is the way we played. We matched a physical side toe to toe.  Another day we could have picked up all three points. Another day we will. Previous games this season w have not looked like that. That is the cause of many fans welcoming and praise of the game, not the result.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I agree with this . I think it's a very good thing that we stopped the rot and a goalless draw shows our defence held tight. Yet my expectations haven't changed. If we have to be ecstatic about this, then what chance do we realistically still have. Imho I saw two Championship quality sides battle itout for a draw. Not a lot of PL quality on show. This is no criticism,  just my feeling while I was watching the game. This could easily be a Championship game, ...next season. But I hope not, and I hope we won't be in the chumps next season. First point of hopefully many more, but forgive me for being a bit reserved

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Exactly this. 

Great that we stopped the rot. But I'm incredibly disappointed that we didn't seem to be even trying to win the game. That's as easy as it's going to get at this level. It's just as sad as the capitulation against Watford. These are games we need to be winning if we have any illusions of staying up.

I think the other thread is correct- we dont know how good a point this is for a few weeks. If it turns out this sort of performance is all we can muster then its not worth much. However if Farke can build on this base and make tweaks to increase our attacking output then its huge. 

• Like 2

I’m not sure where this attitude comes from where we have to beat all these teams away from home. Wasn’t our draw at Brentford last season a good result? Hell after losing 6 in a row, ANY draw is good just to end the awful run. But generally, draw away and win at home is what we need to do with the teams around us 👍

Yes Burnley have not been getting results but their performances have generally been decent so far this season, it’s just been small phases in games where they’ve switched off (I.e 1-0 up to 1-3 down in 6 minutes v Everton). 

We know full well they’re always a tough game and they put us under far more pressure than we got versus Leicester and Everton, yet we manage to concede 4 goals in those games.

It was a defensive performance many wouldn’t have thought we would be capable of under Farke. 

And yes we do need to offer far more going forwards, I said as much in the OP. But we can’t just flick a switch and suddenly all our new players are on the same wavelength and all of those prior performances are forgotten. Clearly the start to the season has rocked us a bit mentally with an already difficult job trying to bed in a whole new team. 

However, since Kabak and Normann came into the team it’s been slow and steady progress (admittedly with the bar set very low versus Watford). 

Think of it like we’re piloting a large ship, let’s call it the Champion… we’ve been travelling hard on a collision course all season, but for such a vessel we can’t just pull a handbrake turn and be on our way, however we’ve at least now managed to start slowing down and steering away. Obviously there’s still a long way to go before we’ve fully corrected it, but at least we are finally on the brakes and not perilously accelerating even further!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

Not “exactly” what we needed as that was a win but a positive, small, tentative step forward.

That formation may see us be able to scrape a few points away from home but it will be interesting to see how Farke adapts it to start to give us some real threat snd a chance of some regular wins. 

3 hours ago, Petriix said:

Yes, Brentford have done wonderfully so far, but we beat Man City last time we were in the Premiership too. It's not about performing well enough to win the odd game here and there if you are at your best, and fortune favours you, it's about a strategy that's going to see you perform consistently enough over an entire season to stay in the league and build on a solid base.

Whatever way you look at it, shipping almost 3 goals on average every game is going to make it almost impossible for you to win consistently, even if you have attacking players like Ronaldo and Messi. Today was not attractive but it was an absolutely necessary step IMO towards building confidence, and a solid spine, before focusing on the nice football.

We have been horrifically easy to go from back to front against in about 2 passes so far this season, so it was very good to see Burnley try to get in behind and go direct on many, many occassions but struggle against a well drilled defence.

Also, I don't agree that we generated far less than Burnley today - we generated some half decent opportunities but lacked confidence to do something decisive (other than Normann who nearly scored a wordly).