Petriix

Farkeball > Hoofball

This is embarrassing. We've become a nothing team who just boot it up the pitch. What happened to our slick passing through the phases? What about keeping possession?

I never thought we'd see this under Farke. We've completely lost our identity.

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I think it might have something to do with losing our first 6 games?

Why spend £18m on wingers though, if you are going to give up on playing wingers in 5 games.

What about the money spent, do we just write it off? 

Bare in mind that Webber has always been highly critical of the spend in the Naismith window, final transfer window of McNally. 

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I think it might have something to do with losing our first 6 games?

I find it astonishing some on here can't see that we're having to do what we can to build a bit of confidence and momentum back into the squad.

People complained repeatedly that all we do against Burnley is get bullied and lose 2-0. Look at the prediction threads. Then we go and actually match up physically to them, and the complaints are that we aren't playing liquid football.

I actually can't believe it needs explaining that to play the style of football we do and play two wingers etc requires a certain level of confidence. We need to get that back before we think we have the right to go and play through teams.

• Like 23

There did seem to be a change in our philosophy today however I'm not sure we have the players to make it work. 

Krul was much slower with his distribution and he played far more long balls but this really doesn't play to our strengths. It did however minimise our errors in the final third but if this was our plan B then why didn't we keep Hugill or recruit a similar target man. He was never going to be prolific in the Prem but he would've brought players into play and given us a physical threat up top, which I still feel we're lacking. Sargent works hard but I'm yet to figure out what he offers the team. He runs around and closes down but there doesn't seem to be much else to his game, which is a shame. 

The overall performance was much better today but we need a cutting edge or a bit of luck. Bring it on after the international break!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Why spend £18m on wingers though, if you are going to give up on playing wingers in 5 games.

What about the money spent, do we just write it off? 

Bare in mind that Webber has always been highly critical of the spend in the Naismith window, final transfer window of McNally. 

We’re just 7 games into the season, why on earth would we write that money off? 

They didn’t start two games while we needed to stop the rot (Rashica still featured both times as a sub and Tzolis once too), we’ve done that and now we can build forwards. Finally the losing run monkey is off our backs, it must be a massive boost to the dressing room. 

Also not following the comparison to Naismith, the signing of the 30+ year old with no resale value versus a highly rated teenager and a player coming into the prime of his career age-wise! Come on now TVB. 

We also spent £8m on Gibson, £6.5m on Giannoulis, £8m on Sargent, committed to £12-13m for Kabak and Normann, £5.5m on PLM, the loans of Gilmour and Williams etc etc. Whilst keeping hold of key players like Aarons, Cantwell and Pukki. Someone is going to have to be dropped aren’t they? We’ve got basically 22-23 players who are pretty much neck in neck in terms of quality, or seem to be at the moment, of course some players are going to miss out now and again!

Why has no one got a shred of patience?

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I find it astonishing some on here can't see that we're having to do what we can to build a bit of confidence and momentum back into the squad.

People complained repeatedly that all we do against Burnley is get bullied and lose 2-0. Look at the prediction threads. Then we go and actually match up physically to them, and the complaints are that we aren't playing liquid football.

I actually can't believe it needs explaining that to play the style of football we do and play two wingers etc requires a certain level of confidence. We need to get that back before we think we have the right to go and play through teams.

Couldn’t agree more. Feels like the goalposts have moved a bit for some people. Getting a result was all that mattered, the game was ****e but we got there in a positive way IMO as it was a clear improvement on the early defensive complaints of the season. 

Also I think that was probably one of our tougher games at the back, Burnley put us under a hell of a lot of pressure and I think we were all expecting to cave in at some point. We didn’t, it’s a big plus to take to our next games!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Absolutely this. We've gone from "Farke has no plan B and doesn't know how to coach in the Premier League" to "why aren't we playing like we normally do?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

How many people have been complaining that we don't have a Plan B? Well, we have just shown we do and I'm sure we will use differing 'plans', depending upon the opposition, throughout the season.

This is absurd, we were beaten 10 games in a row and got just over 20 points in a season trying to play possession based football where we move it through the phases because the quality of our players wasn't high enough to play that way in the premiership.

So Farke has done the logical thing and tried to set us up in a different way. Now we actually look a little bit competitive, it's all "we have lost our Identity". 

I want us to stay up, more than I want us to be beaten playing good football.

• Like 2

Personally I was delighted we didn't just always play it amongst our back 5, and I've no doubt if we did we'd have lost today. 

• Like 2

That'll do for me on the day.

They showed some muscle and determination today against a bunch of thugs and hopefully Farke can now see that morris dancing out from the back isn't the answer in this league.

Doesn't matter how pretty our football is if we ship two or three goals a game. We needed to stop the rot and become harder to beat. Did that well today, by the looks of it.

Obviously if we're to stay up we need to add more of an attacking threat and I'd hope to see Tzolis or Rashica against Brighton. But we have something to build on and I'm going to be pleased about that for a day or two: this season's been miserable enough so far.

I think anyone who’s happy clapping a point against a very poor Burnley team needs their head checked. It’s a start and better than getting beat but when did we become so happy with mediocrity against poor opponents? 

I think the poor run of results so far this season seems to of dampened everyone’s ambition on what actually is a point gained or two dropped. I put this solidly in the two dropped column. 

• Like 3

Put it this way (to those who feel we threw the game), if we were in the top 5 at this point would we be happy with a point at Burney?

Would we?

100% yes we would, so give them credit for an excellent battling display. The team look good against the ball and won back possession time and time again.

This will at least stop some of the critics nationally but probably not locally

Just now, East Rider said:

Put it this way (to those who feel we threw the game), if we were in the top 5 at this point would we be happy with a point at Burney?

Would we?

100% yes we would, so give them credit for an excellent battling display. The team look good against the ball and won back possession time and time again.

This will at least stop some of the critics nationally but probably not locally

You think a top 5 side is happy with a point at Burnley. 😂😂😂😂

laughable 

Hopefully this will be the blueprint of many performances this season if it achieves the same result, and even better some wins.

If it means we are unattractive to watch and stink the place out at most grounds, including our own, but still get enough points an avoid relegation, then so be it.

So pleased we have ditched the fannying around at the back. A recipe for disaster. You have to earn your right to play football first.

49 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't see how a backs-to-the-wall 0-0 against the second worst team in the league with zero attacking intent could possibly build any confidence or momentum.

Hooray, we didn't lose! But we've completely abandoned any semblance of playing proper football. If we want to build anything then we need to be playing a style of football that has some kind of aim other than not losing against the worst teams in the league. What teams could we possibly beat playing like that?

I've never complained about Farke not having a plan B. This season he seems to have plans B to G, and now plan G is where he's sticking. I preferred plan A where we were exciting to watch. As far as I can tell he hasn't actually tried plan A at all this season.

15 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I think anyone who’s happy clapping a point against a very poor Burnley team needs their head checked. It’s a start and better than getting beat but when did we become so happy with mediocrity against poor opponents? 

I think the poor run of results so far this season seems to of dampened everyone’s ambition on what actually is a point gained or two dropped. I put this solidly in the two dropped column. 

"When did we become so happy with mediocrity?" When we lost 16 PL games in a row. 

I don't think too many people are happy-clapping. I'm just pleased we've stopped the rot and have something to build on. Do we need to get better? Absolutely. But that's a game we would have lost two years ago. He'll, it's a game we would have lost two weeks ago. So some small progress. 

• Like 1

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

"When did we become so happy with mediocrity?" When we lost 16 PL games in a row. 

I don't think too many people are happy-clapping. I'm just pleased we've stopped the rot and have something to build on. Do we need to get better? Absolutely. But that's a game we would have lost two years ago. He'll, it's a game we would have lost two weeks ago. So some small progress. 

Agreed it’s definitely something to build on. I came away from the game with an overall feeling of what if though rather than happy with the point felt like all 3 were there for the taking. Burnley look poor wouldn’t be surprised if they are down the bottom with us for a majority of the season 

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Agreed it’s definitely something to build on. I came away from the game with an overall feeling of what if though rather than happy with the point felt like all 3 were there for the taking. Burnley look poor wouldn’t be surprised if they are down the bottom with us for a majority of the season 

Yeah, agree with that. But that's what happens when you're on a losing run. We need to beat them at CR. If we do that, four points out of the six available will do me.

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

Yeah, agree with that. But that's what happens when you're on a losing run. We need to beat them at CR. If we do that, four points out of the six available will do me.

We did win a title in the middle of the losing run though so I’m not as worried by that as some seem to be. In fairness it’s two completely different teams that lost the games in a row. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

The mood at the game seems to have been more positive at full time than the mood on here.

Most people on here seem to be good to be fair. My view of it just seems to be it felt like two points dropped as Burnley looked bad. 

20 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

You think a top 5 side is happy with a point at Burnley. 😂😂😂😂

laughable 

Read it again, this time correctly.

I never said 'a top 5 side' I said 'if we were top 5 at this point'

And yes I still believe we would be happy (given our poor record against them) to get a point there, no matter where we were in the table.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, robert choice said:

That'll do for me on the day.

They showed some muscle and determination today against a bunch of thugs and hopefully Farke can now see that morris dancing out from the back isn't the answer in this league.

This, with bells on? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, East Rider said:

Read it again, this time correctly.

I never said 'a top 5 side' I said 'if we were top 5 at this point'

And yes I still believe we would be happy (given our poor record against them) to get a point there, no matter where we were in the table.

Any side in the top 5 with 1/4 of the season gone would target a win at a side in the bottom 3 even if it was us. Perhaps the years of fighting for survival in the premiership have dulled your sense of ambition 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Any side in the top 5 with 1/4 of the season gone would target a win at a side in the bottom 3 even if it was us. Perhaps the years of fighting for survival in the premiership have dulled your sense of ambition 

We will have to agree to disagree.

The season for us was 6 games old, not a quarter gone, our record against teams like Burnley is absolutely terrible. A point there (for our type of general play) is good, very good.

My ambition? I was hoping for the treble this season, but I will tune it down slightly an just settle for the double only.

Just now, East Rider said:

We will have to agree to disagree.

The season for us was 6 games old, not a quarter gone, our record against teams like Burnley is absolutely terrible. A point there (for our type of general play) is good, very good.

My ambition? I was hoping for the treble this season, but I will tune it down slightly an just settle for the double only.

I don’t think it’s overly ambitious to be targeting a win away at Burnley it’s hardly Anfield. 

agree to disagree though so all good