Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Lost optimism

Is part of the problem that we signed positive attacking players but then switched to a negative defensive formation? For the life of me I don’t see what Tzolis et al bring to a team set up to park the bus as under this formation 

Had we a few points on the board then Farke may have been more adventurous with his selection. I've no issue with a defensive line-up to get a point as long as there is a bit of structure to when we do have a bit of possession and a chance to attack.

It’s 2 games without either player starting, both players still played 30 mins last week too FFS. Hardly like they’re training with the under-23s is it?

We’re trying to dig in and get a foothold in our season, once we start getting points on the board and build a bit of confidence I’m sure we’ll see a more familiar and expansive style. Both players will feature plenty this season.

I just don’t really get the complaint, if you bring one of them in now then it’s likely Sargent would miss out who cost a similar amount, or one of the CBs such as Gibson who again cost £8mil! So what difference does it make? 

Forget about putting the numbers against their names, we’ve bought 11 permanent signings in and 5 were over 6mil and 2 more will be £12-13mil if the option to buy goes through. Are we really advocating for all of those players to start every game or do we value players already in the team like Pukki, Cantwell, Hanley, Omobamidele etc etc?

• Like 1

Everything boils down to a lack of CDM and confidence... if Normann works out ideal, but we need to hope he doesn't get injured.    Athletic, powerful midfielders would give us extra security to get more players forward and we need another one, perhaps two.    Its an interesting point but they all have potential and we need to give them all time.   Tzolis is only 19, whilst expensive, it would be foolish to put him into a struggling team.   Wait till we get going, gel and then see what they have.  

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

It’s 2 games without either player starting, both players still played 30 mins last week too FFS. Hardly like they’re training with the under-23s is it?

We’re trying to dig in and get a foothold in our season, once we start getting points on the board and build a bit of confidence I’m sure we’ll see a more familiar and expansive style. Both players will feature plenty this season.

I just don’t really get the complaint, if you bring one of them in now then it’s likely Sargent would miss out who cost a similar amount, or one of the CBs such as Gibson who again cost £8mil! So what difference does it make? 

Forget about putting the numbers against their names, we’ve bought 11 permanent signings in and 5 were over 6mil and 2 more will be £12-13mil if the option to buy goes through. Are we really advocating for all of those players to start every game or do we value players already in the team like Pukki, Cantwell, Hanley, Omobamidele etc etc?

Basically people on here don't like the idea that we can't play the same way as we did when we looked incredible in the championship. Despite the fact we tried that 2 years ago and it was grim.

This is a pragmatic formation that makes use of what we have and tries to make us balanced. It's not a negative formation if you use the width and if your box to box midfielders get up in support. 

Rashica will almost certainly play up top in this formation some of the time and we have no idea if Tzolis feels comfortable in a role further forwards.

3 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Spot on, this is exactly what was the plan today and it worked. I suspect we will see this deployed again. Something to build on hopefully

4 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Is part of the problem that we signed positive attacking players but then switched to a negative defensive formation? For the life of me I don’t see what Tzolis et al bring to a team set up to park the bus as under this formation 

Parked the bus and yet had 11 attempts at goal? Something doesn’t seem right with this conclusion. I suggest that it was made as a knee jerk reaction sometime during the first half rather than a considered opinion after 90 minutes.

DF intermated in his interview that if we can get some confidence back and therefore results/points we can start to be even more offensive. I suspect we will see a lot of Tzolis as the season progresses.

6 minutes ago, East Rider said:

DF intermated in his interview that if we can get some confidence back and therefore results/points we can start to be even more offensive. I suspect we will see a lot of Tzolis as the season progresses.

Seems logical. Plus of course Farke has often wanted to take a bit of time to get the players settled in before they're regulars in the first team. 

We didn't see Emi for 4 or 5 games in 2018 I think. Obviously we didn't have so many fans expecting him in the team as he was fairly unknown. But we were getting "Farke out" type noises of course. And then the team settled and - well - things got considerably better.