Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Burnley (A/PL) ****

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

If we played 4-2-3-1 we would be crushed. When the wingbacks played like wingbacks we didn't look impotent against Everton, if they play like full backs then I agree, we will be useless.

Burnley are (apart from us) one of the weakest teams in the league. It's exactly this kind of game where we should be looking to play our natural, fluid, attacking style. We're totally castrated by this defensive setup, and yet still unable to defend.

Our strength is in attacking midfield: we've signed Rashica and Tzolis for a combined £20m plus a similar value in Cantwell all missing. Kept out of the team by some bang average CMs and an extra CB.

• Like 2

I think my.problem with this formation is more to do with what we will switch to when we are 1 down with 65 mins played. We will end up with attackers in all over the field.  Surely go 1 up then switch to defend the lead? 

Good line up to stop the rot I reckon. Let’s **** house a horrible 0-0, points on the board are a must. And thank **** we’ve decided to play a wing back correctly this week, think we’d have offered more versus Everton if Giannoulis was bombing forwards instead of Williams chopping back and killing momentum all the time. 

Can see the plan here. Reckon it'll be similar to Everton - try to keep it tight and let Tzolis and Rashica loose off the bench.

Anyone else wondering if Sörensen could be another with long Covid? Pretty sure he was one of the affected ones in pre-season...

The fact we spent over 20m on Rashica and Tzolis and he decides to play a system that excludes them is very non-sensical to me. Yes, formations can change etc, but that amount of money is huge for us, and at least one of those players should be involved because of that. 

• Like 3

Effectively a back six. No creativity in midfield again. McLean obviously fist name on the team sheet each week yet has been responsible for gifting opposition a goal on more than one occasion this season. Dowell must also be wondering why he came here. He's not as lightweight as some seem to think, has PL experience, can pick a pass and score goals. Not hopeful of getting anything from this game with the line up chosen to start today.

Rubbish line up and formation. No creativity at all. It didn’t work last week so why would it work this week?

If you trip over the same rock twice you deserve to break your leg!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

How does McLean keep his place and STILL no Sorensen. Unbelievable. Canary call might be tasty at 5

I think he’s made mistakes and could arguably be dropped but he’s one of the best all round midfielders we have.

Honestly I don’t understand the cries for Sorensen, he’s clearly not rated by Farke and his team so no idea why people think he’s the answer.

7 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Burnley are (apart from us) one of the weakest teams in the league. It's exactly this kind of game where we should be looking to play our natural, fluid, attacking style. We're totally castrated by this defensive setup, and yet still unable to defend.

Our strength is in attacking midfield: we've signed Rashica and Tzolis for a combined £20m plus a similar value in Cantwell all missing. Kept out of the team by some bang average CMs and an extra CB.

That extra CB is Kabak or Gibson, both of which cost us the same as Rashica. Plus it allows you to play Giannoulis as a wingback, which should get the best out of him. He also cost the same as either Tzolis or Rashica. 

I would also expect to see one of them if either of our strikers come off.

Burnley would absorb our attacks and hit us on the break. They are the type of side that we struggled against for years playing farkeball. They stay compact, grab possession if you make a small mistake and break quickly when your central midfielders are high up the pitch. 

I think this could be a Turning point for some if we lose today 

i would rather we lost Attacking than if we lost with this line up 

of course if we won Farke deserves all the credit

just can not see where the goals will be created unless we go long ball for Pukki and Sargent with the midfield scrapping for second ball which farke will never do ???? or will he ??? 

Feels like a big, big game today. Lose again with that formation and I think there will be lots more animosity against Farke and the board.

Here's hoping for at least a point (although 3 would be nice)

Think people are getting a bit carried away with Tzolis and Rashica not being in the team, it’s been two games without them starting, but both players still came off the bench for 30 mins last week and probably will feature again today.

Yes they cost a lot of money but so did a lot of our new players. We spent a lot of money to improve the squad but we physically can’t fit every new player in unless we’re advocating for players like Pukki and Cantwell to be consistently dropped, so we’re always going to end up with at least a couple of our £8-10mil players on the bench. It doesn’t make it money wasted by any stretch.

Both T and R are still trying to get to grips with the PL, and Farke is desperately trying to find a formation that cuts the rot at the back. So they’re not starting at the minute, so what? It’s a long season and I’m sure both players will feature plenty this year. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

Happy enough with the set up, shane Cantwell isn't fit to replace on of the central three though. Hopefully we have more threat out wide with Dimi in for Williams. 

Yeah, shame re Cantwell but a left footer on the left should help us use width.

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Tzolis and Rashica must be wondering why they bothered joining, even more so now we see no need for wingers apprently..

I'm pretty sure they understand their roles in the team and having delivered nothing significant on an attacking side im sure they'll be looking to take advantage from the bench. The thing about formations and shape is they can change during a game, not that I should have to be explaining this.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

That a very conservative line up. 

We'll definitely run out of fuel in the second half then...

Lose today and is this the end of the road for Farke and / or Webber. After all Webber bought the ‘pop-gun’ squad. 

hopefully we can score a lucky goal off the ref to stop the rot. 🤞🤞

11 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I think he’s made mistakes and could arguably be dropped but he’s one of the best all round midfielders we have.

Honestly I don’t understand the cries for Sorensen, he’s clearly not rated by Farke and his team so no idea why people think he’s the answer.

Unfortunately, somehow we are still a midfielder short of where we need to be. I wouldn't pick Rupp, McLean or Sorenson as consistent premiership performers. 

I do believe PLM is good enough, not magical by any imagination but a good player and Normann looks the business, but if we are close to the relegation line in Jan or if we somehow stay up in the summer, that's where the money needs to be spent.

happy to see the bulk of the side from last week, Dimi in for Williams is a positive. Although thought Williams had a good game, just a shame he doesn't have a left peg. Lots of energy going forward, too much cutting back on right.

Would have been tempted to play Dowell. 

1 minute ago, Baracouda said:

happy to see the bulk of the side from last week, Dimi in for Williams is a positive. Although thought Williams had a good game, just a shame he doesn't have a left peg. Lots of energy going forward, too much cutting back on right.

Would have been tempted to play Dowell. 

Suspect Dimi got the nod due to added physicality against Burnely diagonal balls over full back.~

Bet 75% of their passes are for a size mismatch vs Aarons at the back stick. 

Farke has lost confidence in our usual style of play and he's scratching around for an alternative.

This loss of confidence has been picked up by the players hence the poor performances.

We haven't had the same team twice yet in what is now our 7th league game and the players must be wondering what the crtieria for selection is.

Who knows, this might be the team and formation that stops the rot but I doubt it.

31 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

How does McLean keep his place and STILL no Sorensen. Unbelievable. Canary call might be tasty at 5

beats me "real heads gone"

I'd say the same for Hanley he is not a leader, Burnley will target him.

I hope we get a win, we must win, last chance saloon for Farke

• Thanks 1

It's a must not lose match and that's the way Farke has set us up. It's probably the 'biggest' team we could put out to compete with Burnley's physicality, so we shall see.

Dyche must be rubbing his hands together at this point as unless there is a marked improvement in our creativity from the starting line-up 7 days ago, then they have nothing to worry about.

We have options off the bench but as mentioned they have been no shows so far this season.

33 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Can see the plan here. Reckon it'll be similar to Everton - try to keep it tight and let Tzolis and Rashica loose off the bench.

Yep.

Surprised so many are shocked by the 5-3-2; we looked better when we used it against Everton. It would be madness to drop it after one game. 

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Like 2