Midlands Yellow

Dereham Road Pubs and Food

Booked a place to make a long weekend of it for the Brighton match. A decent recommended pub would be much appreciated as I’m bringing Leicester fans with me this time. 

The Reindeer was always good along there - but I must confess I havent been for many a year. 

I thought the Reindeer had closed? Or at least no longer a real ale type pub, haven’t been that way for a long time though. Probably best to head up to St Benedictus , a few good pbs along there along with food, and the tap house at the city end.

8 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

I thought the Reindeer had closed? Or at least no longer a real ale type pub, haven’t been that way for a long time though. Probably best to head up to St Benedictus , a few good pbs along there along with food, and the tap house at the city end.

You may be right - But yes a few good ones along St Benedicts on way into city for the match, or post, to drown your sorrows. 

1 minute ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The Fat Cat on West End Street and The Alexandra on Stafford Street, both off Dereham Rd.........

Excellent real ale pubs. I don’t think either do food as such but the Fat Cat has plenty of cheap tasty rolls to soak up the beer.

If you fancy the Alexandra then you’re only seconds away from the legendary Stafford St chippie

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Excellent real ale pubs. I don’t think either do food as such but the Fat Cat has plenty of cheap tasty rolls to soak up the beer.

If you fancy the Alexandra then you’re only seconds away from the legendary Stafford St chippie

Thank you! My partner can out drink me and loves real ales. 

13 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Is The Oval still going?

Isn't it the cherry tree now, family food pub type place. 

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Thank you! My partner can out drink me and loves real ales. 

Well they’ll be spoilt for choice at the Fat Cat. It’s won a couple of national awards and must have the biggest selection of ales in Norwich. Some are so strong they should make you sign a disclaimer 🙂  

The Alexandra is a lovely Victorian corner pub with a good selection of ales and you can eat your fish and chips on the tables outside.

Or at least you could last time I went there.

Used to be a decent enough pub crawl along Dereham Road, now there is only the Gatehouse between The Oval and The Reindeer. Larkman, Artful Dodger, Earl of Leicester, Dial, Provision Stores, Victory all gone. As others have indicated, some decent pubs just off the main drag but even more that have fallen by the wayside on the side streets. 

St benedicts Street City side of Dereham Road had a few good pubs, not been since lockdown though. The X bells and the plough. Plus some nice places to eat down there. 

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The Fat Cat on West End Street and The Alexandra on Stafford Street, both off Dereham Rd.........

This.

Plus walk down to St. Benedicts for the food.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Reindeer is now closed but Fat Cat one of the best drinking houses in the city is the place to go. Cherry Tree bit of a dump tbh. Plenty of good eateries in that part of the Dereham Road. Take Thai has best Thai food in Norwich but is takeaway only. Mr. Maghal, Turkish is very good. A second Turkish net door with outside seating but it may be too cold for that now. An east European cafe there too but never tried it.

Midlands, if you have transport try the Kings Head in Bawburgh, absolutely top notch food, a bit more expensive than most, but well worth it. It's not unheard of to see the players, DF and Delia in there, not on a Saturday lunch time of course. You may need to book.

Definitely need to book for Friday night, may see you in there👍

59 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Reindeer is now closed but Fat Cat one of the best drinking houses in the city is the place to go. Cherry Tree bit of a dump tbh. Plenty of good eateries in that part of the Dereham Road. Take Thai has best Thai food in Norwich but is takeaway only. Mr. Maghal, Turkish is very good. A second Turkish net door with outside seating but it may be too cold for that now. An east European cafe there too but never tried it.

I was in the Reindeer a couple of months ago, so it's reopened (unless it's closed again since!) Also did The Alex, Fat Cat and Plough that day which, like others, I can also vouch for...Fat Cat, particularly, for it's range of beers. The Alex had a limited food menu - snacks and some specials on the board (we all had the chilli) but, as @......and Smith must score. says, there's always the chippy next door!

The Reindeer is very much open. Incredible food as well!

• Like 1