Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Player Ratings Ipswich Match

Greeno - 8 played well, made 2 good saves and did some funny stuff

Drury - 7 did ok

Rehman - 8 (MOM) looked quality at the back, strong good in the air and solid

Doherty - 6 played ok gave away a couple of free kicks and was manhaldling the scum players

Fleming - 7 did ok at right back

Hughes - 6 had his best game for city and still only deserves a 6 - certainly didnt deserve to be substituted

Etuhu - 5 what can i say, does he no whereabouts on the pitch he is needed??

Safri - 7 our best midfielder which isnt saying much

McVeigh - 5 first game on the wing in ages and it showed

Johansson - 6 well taken goal, he is lightweight and is not going to win any headers from our usual hoofball,

Earnshaw - 5 he made good runs but noone was good enough to oplay the thru balls - in the end he played with his back to goal - something i doubt he is a master of....

Subs

Huckerby - 5 awful game

Robinson - 6 was part of a no show midfield in the second half

Shackell - 6 did ok for the time he was on...

Worthy - 3 half time substitutions failed miserably and left us TOTALLY lightweight up front and unable to get let alone keep the ball. leaving hucks out a disgrace.

Sorry, I don''t know if it''s just because I''m annoyed at the moment or what, but I wouldn''t be able to bring myself to give above 5 to any of them (minus Green) and believe me, i''d give most of them way below 5. A shocking performance. We have to start putting pressure on the club now to change this. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Now I don''t normally do these, but I thought today I''d give em a crack.

Green - Didnt have much of a chance with the two goals. Don''t feel he should have a man on the line because as a goalkeeper myself its a distraction and throws your concentration. Throughully enjoyed his banter with the ipswich fans. Made some good saves throughout. 8

Doherty - Had a consistent game and didn''t do all to much wrong, shown up by Rehman. 7

Rehman - So that''s defending! Looked fantastic, got stuck in, gave Lee nothing to work with, a great loan signing. Would definetly like to see him in permantly. 9 and my motm

Shackell - Another man I''m glad to see back, Was average when he came on. 6

Drury - A solid game, made himself space on the wing, but first half found it hard to gel with mcveigh. 6

Etuhu - Far better than I''ve seen him play but yet more stray balls, Doesn''t show the stength he possess''s. A good game by his standards. But poor by anyone else''s. 5

Safri - Everyone pleased to see him back but phrases like "jet lagged" and "tired" were flying about. Glad to see him back but his passing was of an etuhu standard. Needs to sharpen up. It''s worse when you know players can play better, which brings me nicely to... 5.5

Huckerby - If  I hear shadow of his former self once more I''ll go nuts, but it''s true. We know he can play well and on his day he has blinders. But today was not a awful game by any means, but a pretty poor one. Only thing we have that resembles a winger so we have to play him. 5.5

Hughes - Seemed off his game more than usual. Solid at times but is lacking that little somthing in generally every area. His defending isn''t great, nor is his "bursts" through midfield. Like to see his effort as he seems a player that gives his all. 5

Robinson - a bit anonymous, did little to spark play once on. 5

Mcveigh - Did someone spike his orange juice before the game? looked like a nutter running at everyone head first. Let himself get in arkward situations because of it. Our left wing was left open on a number of occasions. Didnt seem to click with Drury. But enthusiam was there and didn''t think he was that bad. 6.5

Johanson - Thought the man looked class. What we''ve been missing at times. Made good runs, passed well, Good link up play (shame not with Earnshaw). Took his goal well. Another great loan signing that would be great on a permantent basis. Only thing was he didn''t win all that much in the air. 8

Earnshaw - Well. Not the saviour we''ed all hoped for. Obvious talent but not his day in my opinion. Made many Huckerby esque runs (i.e losing possesion) but I don''t think he''s awful by any stretch. More than happy to give him a chance.5

Worthy - I don''t want to see the guy go, not yet, I''ll state that now. I''ll give him the rest of the season. But a new manager would probably be better. But we don''t know that and I''m prepared to see worthy give it a go. He is not purely to blame and It is largly down to the team. But also his tactical farce is wearing a little thin. Showed some sense in making the changes he should have started with. 5

The fans - Good atmosphere but thought it was ridiculous shouting "worthy whats the score" at 1-0 up, only for these same fans probably being the ones outside the ground shouting at Worthy. Fickle doesn''t even cover it. Riverend probably made the most noise shouting Worthy out towards the end. 7

Overall gutted but not as gutted as I thought I''d be. I live in Ipswich and am not that excited to return to work tommorow. We need to shape up in midfield but how Worthy intends to do this I can''t imagine. But to be fair he decided who to bring in and if our midfield is a shambles because of this then he has to deal with it.

Would be more than happy to see a few youngsters brought it instead. This is our season "over" so why not use the rest setting up a side for next season. Hopefully they''ll be a damn sight better than this one

FROM WRATH OF THE BARCLAY:

Very rarely get to see games nowdays. Today was an eye opener for me

1. There''s no balance to the side

2. Rarely could we keep possession

3. We were totally swamped in midfield

4.Only really Safri looks comfortable with the ball for more than 2 seconds

5. We were 2nd best to all free balls in the middle of the pitch

6. WTF has happened to Drury?

7. No imagination to attacking play

As I''ve calmed down a bit now, I think that Rehman looked good in CD along with Doherty and also Johansson had a good game with a well taken goal. Shame Earnie had a bit of a stinker but early days for him, hopefully he''ll soon be playing under a new manager who understands football.

very suprised you gave such high marks.

rehaman played ok  as did all defenders.

all midfielders were 3 or 4 no closeing down no tackling (apart from safs pass for goal) they were unable to keep possesion or pass.

forwards worked hard earnie needs people to creat chances for him to score otherwise he will always look poor.

worthy what can you say the man is a joke he still wants to play the long high ball even when we dont have a target man. johansson is not good in the air we new that before he came. earnie is 5'' 6 need i say more.

I think you''ve been a bit generous there Paul. I cannot remember witnessing a more abject performance in over 30 years of supporting the canaries. Here are my ratings:

Green - 6 made some good saves, but his distribution was poor at best. Very lucky not to concede a penalty.

Drury - 5 looked all at sea in the first half. Improved after the break.

Doherty - 5 thought Lee and Haynes gave him the runaround today and he resorted to hoof-ball at the end.

Rehman - 8 our best defender by the proverbial mile. We missed his presence in the middle after Fleming went off and he moved to right back.

Fleming - 6 did OK at right back. Think we would have got away with a draw had he stayed on.

McVeigh - 5 allowed Wilnes acres of space in the first half. Never really got going today.

Safri - 5 looked off the pace to me. Set up the goal, but frequently second to the ball and didn''t use it as well as he normally does.

Etuhu - 3 I cannot work him out. He has the physique of Vieira, but the presence of a mouse. Doesn''t seem to want to challenge for any headers in midfield and the game just passed him by. Rightly substituted at half time.

Hughes - 5 put in his one usual excellent cross that nearly resulted in an own-goal. Lost count of the number of times he passed to an opposition player.

Earnshaw - 5 service to him was atrocious. De Vos must have been laughing his head off as another high ball was lumped up the middle.

Johansson - 7 message to Worthy: JJ is not a target man so don''t tell the players to lump it forward to him. Looked good when the ball was played to his feet or for him to run on to. Excellent run and finish for the goal and a sharp turn and shot before it. Unlucky with the one that came back of the post in the second.

Worthington - 1 it''s unbelievable that he can put out a team as badly prepared as the one today.

Subs:

Robinson - 5 thought he should have stared instead of Etuhu. A few decent touches, but generally overrun along with the rest of our midfield.

Huckerby - 5 Our midfield dismally failed to get the ball to him. When they did he didn''t deliver the quality he is capable of.

Shackell - 5 first game back and it looked like it. I thought he struggled badly with the Ipswich front 2 at times.

Summary: We were outclassed by a team of journeymen and kids who were 2 yards faster and able to do simple things like pass to a team mate. Today was one of the most spineless and clueless performances I have ever witnessed from a Norwich team in over 30 years. Worthy OUT now!

Here are my marks:

Green: 8 - some great saves and good handling of the ball. Was lucky not to give away a penalty in the second half for taking out Haynes and getting nowhere near the ball but in general looked close to his best.

Drury: 6 - Solid game, nothing spectacular but didn''t let anyone down.

Rehman: 8 - Looked very impressive. Made some good tackles, headers and his positioning was spot on for the majority of the time. Looks like a good acquisition on loan and I think he could form a solid patnership with the Doc.

Doherty: 7 - A good performance. Played well with Rehman and was much improved from the Reading game. Needs to be careful about the number of free kicks he concedes around the box.

Fleming: 6 - Didn''t do a bad job at right back. Made some good runs forward and linked up ok with Hughes in the first half. Made a horrendous tackle on Juan and was lucky not to have ben carded or even sent off. Shame an injury forced him off.

McVeigh: 6 - Not his best game. Made some telling passes and also did his fair share of tracking back and tackling.

Etuhu: 5 - Made a couple of good runs and passes but isn''t involved for so much of the game. I didn''t even notice he was on the pitch until 10 minutes had passes. Was still unlucky to be subbed at half time.

Safri: 7 - Quality and it showed. Has such a calm head and seesm to have so much time on the ball. Is the only player who can get the ball down and play. Wasn''t at his absolute best but considering he has only just got back from the African Nations, it was a good performance.

Hughes: 7 - Looked good down the right considering he isn''t a right winger. Made some good runs and put some good balls into the box. I was amazed he was subbed at half time and in my opinion we didn''t look nearly so potent going forward in the second half.

Johansson: 7 - Promising debut. Good goal and looked quick. Was unlucky not to score again in the second half when he hit the post. Was a bit quiet at times and despite his height, needs the ball played into his feet. When he got the service he looked dangerous. I think JJ will prove a lot of the doubters wrong provided we don''t just hoof balls up to him.

Earnshaw: 5 - A disappointing debut in my opinion. Showed his pace but doesn''t seem able to hold the ball up that well. He didn''t get great service and sometimes had to drop deep to collect the ball but then looked a bit unsure what to do with it! If we give him the right service he will destroy defences with his pace but he needs to hold the ball up better.

Subs:

Huckerby: 5 - Disappointing game. A couple of runs but often lost the ball which contributed to the poor performance in the second half and allowed Ipswich to put us under continual pressure. Just isn''t at his best.

Robinson: 5 - Nothing spectacular. Was more prominent than Etuhu but didn''t impose himself on the game and the midfield couldn''t keep hold of the ball in the second half. Good to see him back from injury though.

Shackell: 6 - Great to see him back as I think he is quality and has a lot of potential to improve further. Made some good tackles and didn''t let anyone down. Will have a hard job on his hands to force a way into the team if the Doc and Rehman play together like they did today.

I can''t bring myself to give marks to all of them - only to say that Rehman looks good, and Johansson built on a promising 10 minutes at Reading.

For those be-moaning the lacklustre performance it shows you don''t go to away games too often - add Luton, Watford, QPR, Wolves, Derby, Reading......it''s been way too long a list this season.

green 7 - keep to score to a minimum & took the p*ss out of ipswich fans

flem 5 - no pace, if you don''t have a right midfielder you''ve got to have an attacking right back,

Drury 6- did ok, looked a little light weight, got foward well  

doc 7- did enough, can''t blame about the goal

rahman  8- my man of the match,  won most of the headers i can remember

hughes 5- he''s no right midfielder, didn''t get wide enough when flem was going foward

macca 6- did ok, does he look a little overweight?

etuhu  4- enough said, operated in a 10 square metre radius, box to box my arse!

saf  6- must be jet lagged, couldn''t pass for toffee, apart from goal

JJ 7- took goal well, can''t head the ball

Earnie 6 - obviously not match feet, lacked pace

hucks 5- did he have his boots on the wrong feet?

shacks 4 - probably forgotten how to play - he''s been out that long

robbo 5 - huff n puff, light weight

worthington 2 - has he done as much as he can do at carrow road?

Another woeful performance which was unbeleivably far far better than the reading game!!!

Green - 7 did well no chance with either goal

Drury  6 - did OK but left exposed at times. 

Doc 6 solid if unexceptional

Rehman 7 looked classy, best central defender seen this season  MOTM for me

Flem 6 - Solid

Etuhu 4 - a shadow of himself from Tuesday - could not seem to get himself involved

Hughes 3 - huge heart, no feet, simply awful through out

Safri 6 - the one midfielder with any tim on the ball,  faded in second half as ACN caught up with him.

WLY 6 - worked hard and few classy touches but he had the ball too infrequently

Johansson 6 - had worthy seen him play - he is a touch not an aerial player,  we have to use him as such - well taken goal and hit post

Earnshaw 5 - enthusiastic first half but anonymous second - the fault of the service but he was poor. 

Subs

Hux - 4 Shocking - no impact whatsoever

Robbo 6  An improvement on the two departures but he and Sfri had too much to do with WLY & Hux on the flanks and so were overrun

Shackell 5 - Shaky - looked like he needed the game.

What was scary is that secod half was our strongest 11 and we were slaughtered.

Well, I''ve managed to build the strength to do my ratings;

Green-6; 2 very good first half saves. Nothing he could do with the goals.

Drury-7; by far the most commited city player, no major errors.

Doc-5; average at best. He was due this kind of a game, but he was out-paced and out-muscled out of the game.

Rehman-6; looks a good buy, will take a few games to settle, but overall a more or less solid display.

Hughes-4; Hughes reminds me of a loyal dog that you have to put down. He''ll keep on battling on, but it''s just unfair to him to keep him going.

Safri-6; an unsually average game from Youssef. The last month or 2 has taken it out of him.

Etuhu-5; apperntly he was good at reading. Back to his usual self, lazy, ineffectual with the ball and will not get stuck in.

McVeigh-5; was he on the pitch?

Earnshaw-5; Will be a great signing for us, just needs time. Unfortunatly, The Doc and co mistook him for Peter Crouch, why oh why did we play long balls to him?

Jonathsson-6; Good goal, but very quiet other than that.

Subs:

Huckerby-5; I thought that leaving him on the bench would be a good decision, get the hunger back into him. Darren though proved me wrong, he seemingly doesn''t have that hunger that players of his type need.

Robinson-4; I did actually forget he was on the pitch. Perhaps he has the powers to become invisible?

Shackell-6; Hurrah! The shacks is back. Needs match practise, but he will become a city regular in the coming months.

Worthington-2; No ideas, motivation or inspiration. On paper we have by far the best side, so why on earth did we play so defensivly? Nigel, we can''t defend, so we might as well try and attack! Why play long balls to Earnshaw? Why play so narrow? Why play so deep? Why of why do we have to sit and watch such complete drab week after week?

Ok, so what are our options now?

Sack worthington; and replace him with who? Unless it happens to be a miracle worker, who can turn shockingly bad players into world class internationals, then we will be wasting our time.

Stick with Worthinton; and maybe things will get better (well they can''t get worse!) or perhaps we will keep playing the same way, long balls to a 4 foot striker being marked by a giant.

It''s a no win situation. I say give it until the end of the season, and see where we are then, because although I''m not his biggest fan; we are still stuck with the same players and low morale.

OTBC!

I understand the above point about the level of performance being akin to most away performance this season... but just for once, as a thankyou/sorry/gesture to the supporters, a modicum of effort, passion, grit, will to win etc. might have been a splendid thing to behold. This is almost the lowest point of a lifetimes support as far as i am concerned, a slap in the face from Dickson and the boys. How can these people look in the mirror at the end of the day? The armed forces used to have a term for it - LMF.... Lacking in Moral Fibre.  

Green         7            Made a couple of good saves, couldnt stop the goals.

Fleming      6            Caught out a bit but was solid ish.

Doherty     5            Couldnt cope with Lee and a dip in form is worrying me

Rehman      7         MOM   Didnt miss much, looks a good signing

Drury         7            Solid

Safri         6/7         Set up the goal, but not hi8s usual self, gave it away too much

Etuhu        5           Hardly had a kick

Hughes      7            Better Game, but some decent balls in

Mcveigh   5            Not in the game at all, didnt look bothered

Johansen   6         Good finish, but poor in the air, didnt do that much

Earnshaw   6         No service, but more to come

Hucks      5         Same as Mcveigh didnt look interested

Robinson   6      Did Ok

Shackall   6         Average.

[quote user="Gamera"]

Now I don''t normally do these, but I thought today I''d give em a crack.

Green - Didnt have much of a chance with the two goals. Don''t feel he should have a man on the line because as a goalkeeper myself its a distraction and throws your concentration. Throughully enjoyed his banter with the ipswich fans. Made some good saves throughout. 8

Doherty - Had a consistent game and didn''t do all to much wrong, shown up by Rehman. 7

Rehman - So that''s defending! Looked fantastic, got stuck in, gave Lee nothing to work with, a great loan signing. Would definetly like to see him in permantly. 9 and my motm

Shackell - Another man I''m glad to see back, Was average when he came on. 6

Drury - A solid game, made himself space on the wing, but first half found it hard to gel with mcveigh. 6

Etuhu - Far better than I''ve seen him play but yet more stray balls, Doesn''t show the stength he possess''s. A good game by his standards. But poor by anyone else''s. 5

Safri - Everyone pleased to see him back but phrases like "jet lagged" and "tired" were flying about. Glad to see him back but his passing was of an etuhu standard. Needs to sharpen up. It''s worse when you know players can play better, which brings me nicely to... 5.5

Huckerby - If  I hear shadow of his former self once more I''ll go nuts, but it''s true. We know he can play well and on his day he has blinders. But today was not a awful game by any means, but a pretty poor one. Only thing we have that resembles a winger so we have to play him. 5.5

Hughes - Seemed off his game more than usual. Solid at times but is lacking that little somthing in generally every area. His defending isn''t great, nor is his "bursts" through midfield. Like to see his effort as he seems a player that gives his all. 5

Robinson - a bit anonymous, did little to spark play once on. 5

Mcveigh - Did someone spike his orange juice before the game? looked like a nutter running at everyone head first. Let himself get in arkward situations because of it. Our left wing was left open on a number of occasions. Didnt seem to click with Drury. But enthusiam was there and didn''t think he was that bad. 6.5

Johanson - Thought the man looked class. What we''ve been missing at times. Made good runs, passed well, Good link up play (shame not with Earnshaw). Took his goal well. Another great loan signing that would be great on a permantent basis. Only thing was he didn''t win all that much in the air. 8

Earnshaw - Well. Not the saviour we''ed all hoped for. Obvious talent but not his day in my opinion. Made many Huckerby esque runs (i.e losing possesion) but I don''t think he''s awful by any stretch. More than happy to give him a chance.5

Worthy - I don''t want to see the guy go, not yet, I''ll state that now. I''ll give him the rest of the season. But a new manager would probably be better. But we don''t know that and I''m prepared to see worthy give it a go. He is not purely to blame and It is largly down to the team. But also his tactical farce is wearing a little thin. Showed some sense in making the changes he should have started with. 5

The fans - Good atmosphere but thought it was ridiculous shouting "worthy whats the score" at 1-0 up, only for these same fans probably being the ones outside the ground shouting at Worthy. Fickle doesn''t even cover it. Riverend probably made the most noise shouting Worthy out towards the end. 7

Overall gutted but not as gutted as I thought I''d be. I live in Ipswich and am not that excited to return to work tommorow. We need to shape up in midfield but how Worthy intends to do this I can''t imagine. But to be fair he decided who to bring in and if our midfield is a shambles because of this then he has to deal with it.

Would be more than happy to see a few youngsters brought it instead. This is our season "over" so why not use the rest setting up a side for next season. Hopefully they''ll be a damn sight better than this one

[/quote] Can''t believe you gave McVeigh a higher score than Safri. Yes Saf wasn''t at his absolute best but he was our only midfielder who passed it around well. Surely has to be worth more than a 5.5!!??

Green - 7. Would be an 8 but for some abysmal distribution (almost

tempted to mark him down by 2 points just for the persistent offending

in this dept). Handling back to close to his best. Lucky not to be sent

off for chinning a scummer, but it was a scummer he chinned and

he got away with it so I can''t mark him down for this. Some good

p!ss-taking, not a pre-requisite but appreciated none the less.

Drury - 6. Sufficient without being exceptional.

Flemming - 6. See above. Link up play with Hughes suffered due to Hughes having no clue.

Doc - 5. Not at his best, but then even at his best he still falls

short of what we need (see goals conceded column of table for

evidence). Give me good timing, judgement and wits over a manhandler

any day. Gave away a freekick resulting in a goal and lucky not to be

sent off. Lots of Ruprect-esq oafish hugging of scum attackers.

Rehman - 8. MOM. Good timing, judgement etc. Won nigh on everything in

the air and dito on the ground. A class above. Knew as soon as he was

moved to Right back after Flemming''s injury that we would miss his

assuredness (appologoes if this isn''t a real word) and lo-and-behold,

the scum scored.

McVeigh - 6. Didn''t get much joy but at least he tried. One good

example in second half when cut in from the right, beat a bunch of

scummers across the area, released the ball only to see the less

adventurous of our team work the ball all the way back to Green.

Etuhu - 4. Didn''t try.

Saf - 6. Tried but off the pace.

Hughes - 4. Tried my patience. Gets ball, wonders what to do with it

for seemingly ages, panicks and then goes with the simplest option

somehow *** up. Think he thought we were playing in blue, that''s

the only explanation I can give for the amount of times he gave the

ball to a scummer. Was begging for Hucks to replace him (not that

things got any better once he did).

Johanson - 7. Neat and tidy, quick for a tall guy, good passing (which

was rare). Scored and saw another well saved and another come back off

the post. On this evidence at his best with the ball at his feet but it

kept getting aimed at his head, it was kind of weird, almost as if the

others had been told to do it.

Earnie - 5. The tiny one that spent most of the game piggy-backing the

giant marking him. It was upsetting, like watching a child humiliated

by his overly competative father.

Hucks - 3. Anonimous, and to think I begged for him to come on.

Robinson - 5. One big shrug. Did nothing to anger me, nor nothing to

make me wet my pants with excitement. Amusingly enough he wears number

33. With our squad size who are we trying to kid?

Shacks - 6. Solid but a bit hoofy.