birchfest

Stylistically is Saturday a game for Sargent ahead of Pukki?

Right, before the pile on ensues, I'm a big Pukki fan and I think him every bit good enough for this level, provided we play to his strengths. This isn't reopening THAT debate again.

That being said, whilst we are still trying to get set into this new formation and with the particular opponent we have this weekend, would it be the right game to start Sargent ahead of Pukki and with that allow either Tzolis or Rashica to start to add a bit more pace to try to combat Burnely's physicality. I'm almost certain Josh will play as he has the physicality that we will need to compete but it would also allow us to have the option to bring Temmu on later in the game where his movement could cause problems against tired legs. 

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure on this myself? What do we recon, would that be hiding to nothing? Do we need Rashica breaking and then supplying Sargent in the air? 

• Like 1

From what I've seen of Sargent, which is only in a Norwich shirt, I much prefer him out wide where he's likely against a smaller full-back and where he has a bit more space - his touch and control aren't fantastic from what i've seen and he really struggled up top with Pukki against Everton.

• Like 1

You can't drop the only player who is most likely to score you a goal. Sargent isn't exactly prolific and seems to be happier playing as a supporting striker  

• Like 2

Sargent may well be better suited at defending set pieces against Burnley, which will be important, but it could be argued that his strengths, i.e. physicality, work rate and commitment, would actually be nullified by Burnley going forward. The intelligent runs by Pukki could actually give them more trouble.

Sargent, for all his commitment, doesn't strike me as carrying much of a goalscoring threat at this stage. He doesn't appear to have a striker's instinct and certainly against Watford he appeared to be a little bit slower to react in the box than a Premier League striker should be. Hopefully it can be worked on moving forward.

I think there's a role for both of them to be honest. Pukki hasn't looked quite as sharp since the injury he suffered before the Euros and I wonder if that half a yard of pace is gone for good given his age; but he has the intelligence to move into spaces and unlock opportunities that Sargent doesn't seem the type to do. If Big Josh's physicality can be used to distract the Burnley defence and generally cause a nuisance, I think that could give Pukki the opportunities he needs. On their own, I can see either of them being effectively taken out of the game, but get them working well together and we could really have something good up top. 
If we're going with 3 at the back and wingbacks again, I'd like to see both Pukki and Sargent up front with Rashica and Cantwell if available, Dowell or Gilmour if not, playing slightly more centrally behind them allowing the WBs to overlap; Normann in behind as an enforcer.

• Like 1

We’ve only scored two goals and Pukki got both, give him the right service and he will score.

There’s no point trying to out brute force Burnley, it’s the perfect game for balls over the top and through the middle that Pukki thrives on.

Edited by Monty13

We were told Rashica could cover the striking position when he joined , give him a shot at it the other options are dire .

Unless someone else can start to show some intent and score, other than Pukki, then I'm afraid whoever we play upfront is fairly redundant. We're not going to close games out at 1-0, we're too fragile at the back. I think Lees-Melou, Rashica, Tzolis, Cantwell, Normann all have it in the locker to score goals. I generally think Pukki is pretty un-droppable in the lone striker stakes, Sargent is a decent player though and happy to see him mixing it up around the area.

Need to start getting some balls breaking to us around the area, our opposition seem to manage it every week, Sargent looks like he can do that. Just need someone to smash the leather off it.

7 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Betcha by goalie wow, if we are talking about the Stylistics then it's Pukki, I'm stone in love with Teemyou.

Josh can't give you anything? 

• Like 1

The Burnley defender are going to be right up for a physical battle which 9 out of ten times they will win. These are exactly the sort of games we have to play Pukki and take advantage of his movement and get them turned around running back at their own goal which is just the type of things big strong defenders hate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, City 101 said:

We were told Rashica could cover the striking position when he joined , give him a shot at it the other options are dire .

Pukki is far from dire.

The only reason why Sargent will be selected against Burnley will be because of his physicality.

He didn't look at all good against Everton and seems to be lacking fitness. He's still very young and it's important we don't burn him out too soon. 

My view is we don't try and match them for physicality as there will only be one winner. Try to out football them as we really should be good enough.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

The only reason why Sargent will be selected against Burnley will be because of his physicality.

He didn't look at all good against Everton and seems to be lacking fitness. He's still very young and it's important we don't burn him out too soon. 

My view is we don't try and match them for physicality as there will only be one winner. Try to out football them as we really should be good enough.

He will be 22 next February. Sorry but that's not 'very young' in footballing terms. Very early days for him, of course, but if all he can offer is some 'physicality' then is that really what we spent the thick part of a club record fee for??  

3 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

He will be 22 next February. Sorry but that's not 'very young' in footballing terms. Very early days for him, of course, but if all he can offer is some 'physicality' then is that really what we spent the thick part of a club record fee for??  

He was blowing out of his **** after 30 mins against Everton. Needs more fitness before we see his true self I think 

7 hours ago, birchfest said:

Right, before the pile on ensues, I'm a big Pukki fan and I think him every bit good enough for this level, provided we play to his strengths. This isn't reopening THAT debate again.

That being said, whilst we are still trying to get set into this new formation and with the particular opponent we have this weekend, would it be the right game to start Sargent ahead of Pukki and with that allow either Tzolis or Rashica to start to add a bit more pace to try to combat Burnely's physicality. I'm almost certain Josh will play as he has the physicality that we will need to compete but it would also allow us to have the option to bring Temmu on later in the game where his movement could cause problems against tired legs. 

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure on this myself? What do we recon, would that be hiding to nothing? Do we need Rashica breaking and then supplying Sargent in the air? 

4231 play to the man's strength. Sargent and Tzolis with Todd when he's ready. Think rashica is a good player but haven't seen it in him yet, think he needs a bit more time to gel. Think 4 3 3 was too defensive for us. And 352 hasn't really been great so far. Go back to what we are decent with. Don't know why we changed. Normann and PLM would be a great DM duo

Everton played Burnley with the 351 formation and Burnley looked dangerous. Second half Everton switched to a 433 and scored 3 within 10 mins and looked really dangerous. So I’d go for 433 for this game. 

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

I'll give you that I honestly thought he was younger.

Still a fitness issue though, and it's a bit worrying that he's soon to head off to the US for 3 games in 6 days.

I suspect they will both start.

Definitely need the physicality of Sargent but Pukkis movement is important too as long as we keep through balls on the ground and not expect him to win high balls.

I suspect we would go 532 again but with emphasis on physical battles.

Krul

Gibson kabak hanley 

Aarons                                          williams

normann

Lees-melou    Mclean

Sargent

Pukki

Sargent looks an average utility player to me - we already had plenty of those. Doesn't appear to offer any more than Idah who is bigger, stronger and already here! The USA guy doesn't have quick feet, he's not a fast winger, and his goal to game ratio is pretty awful, so he can hardly be described as a striker either. There's precious little time in this league to establish his identity or purpose; my gut feeling is DF may well be screwing-up the effectiveness of the whole team by trying to accommodate Sargent every week. I'd like to see him dropped in favour of Dowell who at least has a goal in him. 

Very much doubt he has the ability to take a chance if one fell to him. I prefer Rashica up there with Pukki. 

Teemu has been missing endless sitters for as long as he has been here but with Emi in the the side the chances kept coming. Now there is no provider and even Todd is currently absent.

I would like to know who thought it was a good idea to import a whole shed load of untried 'bargain' players from around the world and then whinge that the team lacks 'experience' in the PL. Did they really think it would wash, AGAIN?

I see Sarg as a number 10 support striker. Someone to hold the ball up and bring others into play further up the pitch. Farke seems to play him more on the wing. Either way, he's not a goal scoring striker, not yet at least... but then, neither was Henry before Arsenal switched him.