Sign in to follow this  
Mullet

Deluded

31 minutes ago, Mullet said:

I'm not suggesting people stop supporting and give up, my post said stop looking for excuses for why we are bottom and pointless. We are in that position because we are not good enough and I haven't derided everything about the club at all so please don't make stuff up

I agree that we haven’t been good enough, so far. But I don’t agree that there aren’t legitimate reasons / excuses which explain why things have been poor (to a certain point). We’ve had a torrid pre season and an entire upheaval of the team, plus a shocking fixture list, a slow start was always expected.

But yes we’ve still not been good enough, even accounting for all the mitigating circumstances, I was expecting / hoping for more.

However I do think there are things to be optimistic about. Based on what we’ve seen versus Watford and Everton, in terms of an improvement in performance since Normann and Kabak have first came in (who I feel are key additions), I feel confident enough to say that we will not lose our next two games.

Feel free quote me on this in a couple of weeks if we do! But I won’t feel any worse for it, as surely there’s no joy in just perpetually expecting the worst and not trying to take a slightly brighter view?

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

2 hours ago, Mullet said:

I think the club deserves credit for the signings and I believe we should be competitive with our squad. The problem has to be the coaching. We are trying to play nice honest football every week instead of running through walls to scrounge as many points as possible.

When the season is over we won't get any plaudits for being nice Norwich we will be slagged off for being soft 

And this is the problem for so many. A bit of ribbing from fans that have never been closer to the ground of the team they “support” than looking at a map and they can’t handle it.

Ok, we’re losing games but if you can’t find anything to be positive about, to be proud of, I’m not sure we’ll ever be the club for you. Of course, I am desperate for us to “do better”, to be winning games and being held up as a beacon of footballing greatness. Yet, even now, I have a huge amount of pride for what we actually are achieving. Folk are throwing toys because we lost to Watford; the guy that did the most damage cost - according to Sky - £40m. It’s not an excuse or being “accepting” of anything, it’s a realisation of the arena we play in. They managed to keep Sarr and I understand the shaking of heads that we couldn’t keep Emi. Yet Emi - I imagine - felt that to further himself and become a mainstay of the Argentinian squad, he had to move. When Sarr signed for Watford he was already an established international and I hate to think what they’re paying him. As for Emi, he’s been mostly benched recently and for the first time in three squads, finds himself not selected for Argentina. When he joined Villa, I thought him feeding Watkins with Grealish would be a heady mix. Then they signed Danny Ings and as good as he is, I’m not sure he fits if they’re going two up top.

I guess what I’m saying is that we’re all disappointed but if you seriously can’t look at what we’ve done, the way we operate and have some pride in the model, the youth development and so on, then you’re probably more suited to supporting someone else. That’s not to say that any one supporter is better than another, we all love the club. It’s about realism and realisation.

I appreciate that this will - again - see those worried about Barry, the Man United fan from Lowestoft and his laughing stock memes, gnash their gums about the ownership model, the recruitment etc but - and I’ll get called “little Norwich” for this - I’d trade our last decade for Burnley or Palace’s any day of the week. The Premier League is a ****ing cess pit. It’s great to get there and dreadful when you do. The whole thing is geared around the perceived giants, never more so displayed when it was reported that they didn’t want “too many Leicesters”.

Rather than these pundits poking fun, they should acknowledge that a sustainable and competitive football club is something to be held up and cherished. And yes, I’m sure someone will be quick to whine that we aren’t competitive, but, like it or not, we are. We haven’t been embarrassed by anyone. And if you are embarrassed, it isn’t the football you’re watching, it’s social media and listening to your workmates that follow from the sofa. Show the mental strength you demand from the players, dry your eyes and have a bit of pride in a football club not financed by oligarchs, corruption or oil states with horrific human rights records, but one - by themselves - trying to do it right. 

Edited by Duncan Edwards
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

It's pretty reasonable to say that we are almost certainly going down but I don't believe we will be anywhere close to Derby's record by the end of the season. 

We are not as bad as some on here and the OP likes to make out. Having said that, that doesn't imply that we are any good at all. 

At the start of the season, I thought we had a 50% chance we stay up and that was with a good window. I'm therefore not shocked we are struggling, disappointed, but not shocked. 

The one thing I will say, is this "a team that can't defend or attack does not suddenly change" does not ring true.

Nobody really starts like this and suddenly beats everyone. However anyone who steps back and thinks about their own experience of football can produce 100s of examples of teams playing badly at the start of the season and then raising their game. If you look at the relegation zones across the top 4 divisions, probably 1/3 to 1/2 of those teams will have a run of form that pulls them clear, I don't believe that's going to happen to us, but it's more likely than us getting sub-12 points this season. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, robert choice said:

This pitiful fan complacency is what took us down to League 1 not so long back. Don't think the same thing can't happen again.

The fans caused that did they?

I forgot that was the period in NCFC's history where we had a go at managing the club. 

2 minutes ago, McWrighty said:

I forgot that was the period in NCFC's history where we had a go at managing the club. 

But we should have hounded the owners out the club, with pitchforks in hand. Our fan complacency led to our own ruin and all those years spent languishing in league one, without a hope of promotion and where the premier league was just a mirage in the desert...

... Oh... Wait.

5 minutes ago, McWrighty said:

Was it also the fans that saw us promoted at first time of asking, then promoted again? We must have went from pitiful complacency to demanding bast*rds pretty quick.

I think hes just really sore he has to watch yet another season in the third tier in a run down ground with no fans and a load of part time footballers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Was it also the fans that saw us promoted at first time of asking, then promoted again? We must have went from pitiful complacency to demanding bast*rds pretty quick.

I think hes just really sore he has to watch yet another season in the third tier in a run down ground with no fans and a load of part time footballers.

Ohh come on, leave it out with the binner stuff.

It is possible for people to just hysterically rewrite history to fit their own narrative without being an Ipswich fan. 

Admittedly, those down the road have had a lot of practice recently, but they don't hold a monopoly in it.

Edited by 1902

34 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Ohh come on, leave it out with the binner stuff.

It is possible for people to just hysterically rewrite history to fit their own narrative without being an Ipswich fan. 

Admittedly, those down the road have had a lot of practice recently, but they don't hold a monopoly in it.

Looking at when he signed up and how his posts started from the of, I'd be very, very surprised if he wasn't.

45 minutes ago, McWrighty said:

Lethargy in the stands, lethargy in the boardroom and lethagy on the pitch.

It's contageous and it is what is preventing the club from moving forward.

10 hours ago, Herman said:

It was 12 years ago.

So? Once decline sets in things can quickly fall apart.

A head in the sand mindset is not what we need at the moment.

1 minute ago, robert choice said:

Nothing to do with the structures of global football at all then? If only we could just get over the lethargy.

1 minute ago, robert choice said:

The state of this comment.

12 hours ago, Mullet said:

There are no football gods looking in our favour, by deluding yourselves your are just setting yourselves up for more misery. Wake up

Farke IS our football god! 
🙏

16 minutes ago, robert choice said:

Why do you think we are doing what we are doing? 

21 minutes ago, robert choice said:

The players can't he rsed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we will win the next 6 games on the bounce, then we will qualify for Europe, we will get Messi on a free transfer and he will play for nothing, when we play they will scrap VAR just on our games, any one want to add to the fantasy football wish list, just a bit of fun, ..

2 hours ago, 1902 said:

At the start of the season, I thought we had a 50% chance we stay up and that was with a good window. I'm therefore not shocked we are struggling, disappointed, but not shocked. 

Likewise not shocked, still think the window was a good one long term, but also recognise it was a risk signing so many 19-21's. But equally there is prospects they will improve over the season, the more they experience this standard of football. 

2 hours ago, 1902 said:

The one thing I will say, is this "a team that can't defend or attack does not suddenly change" does not ring true.

Nobody really starts like this and suddenly beats everyone. However anyone who steps back and thinks about their own experience of football can produce 100s of examples of teams playing badly at the start of the season and then raising their game. If you look at the relegation zones across the top 4 divisions, probably 1/3 to 1/2 of those teams will have a run of form that pulls them clear, I don't believe that's going to happen to us, but it's more likely than us getting sub-12 points this season. 

Not sure its always about 'raising the game' as in skill level, but simple things like a change of tactics or cutting out mistakes, results suddenly become a lot easier.  Statistically most games are low scoring affairs (3 goals or less) and if your giving freebies away each week its very hard to get positive results. 

Last example of us going on a prolonged run at this level, I guess has to be under Hughton. 

glass half full, a win against Burnley, the team, youngsters, manager get a boost and we wont be bottom, hopefully the media then focus on Burnley with their comments. 

On 27/09/2021 at 20:42, Mullet said:

I have to say what a deluded bunch you are.

Should we call the last 6 games pre season? Palace lost 7 in a row and survived, Bloody VAR again, Mini survival league. We need to cut out mistakes. Once we start scoring we will end up in 11th.

What an embarrassment. Some of you are hanging on to any kind of hope by your last finger nail and must be thinking the football gods will take pity on our poor club and start giving us wins. They won't. We are bottom pointless because we deserve to be.

Any football team in any league that loses 6 straight, can't score and can't defend and has a manager unable to get his players to run through walls in order to get points deserves all they get. NOTHING.

There are no football gods looking in our favour, by deluding yourselves your are just setting yourselves up for more misery. Wake up

Oh so negative. "Bottom pointless"  and "deluded" (I am). 

At the end of the day this is just 11 millionaires kicking a reconstituted pigs bladder around in a muddy field against 11 other millionaires.

Why not try to enjoy it? 

Personally I'm planning to sacrifice a goat (not Teemu!) to the footballing gods to see if we can turn this around. 

On 27/09/2021 at 22:09, robert choice said:

This pitiful fan complacency is what took us down to League 1 not so long back. Don't think the same thing can't happen again.

But you're  still in league  one!!!