Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Delia & MWJ succession planning

What comes next, when, and how? 

On another thread there was a suggestion from Pugin that Delia and MWJ would pass their shares onto Nephew Tom.

And it made me realise that this wasn't simple, because at Pugin's estimated valuation this transaction would require about £25m/£26m in inheritance taxes, and Nephew Tom doesn't have that cash.

Now people are talking about "trusts", but the only precedent for this is Blackburn Rovers, who ended up being flogged a few years later to the Venky's! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

6 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Tom....... 

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Death or incapacitation, Power of Attorney, Tom.

He's got no money to pay the inheritance tax bill?

Another poster reckons Delia's shares are worth £65m.

That's a £25m inheritance tax bill. 

16 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He's got no money to pay the inheritance tax bill?

Another poster reckons Delia's shares are worth £65m.

That's a £25m inheritance tax bill. 

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What you aren't factoring in is that should she simply leave £65m worth of shares to Tom, there is a £26m inheritance tax bill to be paid, and Tom doesn't have that money. So any succession plan cannot be that simple. 

You don't pay inheritance tax if it in a Trust, so I imagine that's what would happen if this is their plan..

only5 hrs ago!!!!

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's an obsession with some people!

When people are malcontent  with their lot,  they attack  what they claim to love. 

• Like 2

Can you imagine Nepotism Tom running the club.

the thought terrifies me, you don’t even hear from him let alone run the club.

he has zero capability to run a football club absolutely zero

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I think it's correct people have a genuine concern when it comes to what happens in the future, unless of course people simply don't care enough 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I think it's correct people have a genuine concern when it comes to what happens in the future, unless of course people simply don't care enough 🤷‍♂️

It is odd that some people aren't concerned by this, considering the number of bad owners and poorly run clubs out there.

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It is odd that some people aren't concerned by this, considering the number of bad owners and poorly run clubs out there.

It isn't that people aren't at least interested, and some concerned. But if you start a thread with a post that contains absolutely no information or ideas then you can hardly be surprised when it doesn't create much of a debate.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:
20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I think it's correct people have a genuine concern when it comes to what happens in the future, unless of course people simply don't care enough

I don't think it's healthy to start thread after thread that is aimed at trying to keep the agenda of "things need to change" always on the go.

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It isn't that people aren't at least interested, and some concerned. But if you start a thread with a post that contains absolutely no information or ideas then you can hardly be surprised when it doesn't create much of a debate.

Eh? it has 13 posts in 57 minutes.

I wasn't referring to the lack of posts, I was referring to people who want to put their fingers in their ears and shout "la la la la la la la" rather than accept that it is difficult to reflect on what the future holds when we have 80 year old owners, and are buying players like Tzolis who will peak in 5 or 6 years, without asking this question.

29 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

25 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

When people are malcontent  with their lot,  they attack  what they claim to love. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Unfortunately people find it easy to criticise and dislike something they don't understand. I'm sure we have had discussions on this subject before because I remember exchanging beliefs with you before.

I think some folks understand and have more knowledge than others on this sort of matter.

56 minutes ago, chicken said:

I think some folks understand and have more knowledge than others on this sort of matter.

And some people make things up, don't they Pinocchio. 

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

This.

Plus, I dont get the point of the thread anyway. Its been discussed to death on here and there's been no new information regarding our ownership this week, as far as I'm aware?

I came into the thread assuming there was some new snippet of important info. Disappointed..

Just now, hogesar said:

This.

Plus, I dont get the point of the thread anyway. Its been discussed to death on here and there's been no new information regarding our ownership this week, as far as I'm aware?

I came into the thread assuming there was some new snippet of important info. Disappointed..

It was inspired by Pugin's suggestion that Delia and MWJ would pass their shares onto Nephew Tom.

And it made me realise that this wasn't simple, because at Pugin's valuation this transaction would require about £25m/£26m in inheritance taxes, and Nephew Tom doesn't have that cash.

Now people are talking about "trusts", but the only precedent for this is Blackburn Rovers, who ended up being flogged a few years later to the Venky's! 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It was inspired by Pugin's suggestion that Delia and MWJ would pass their shares onto Nephew Tom.

And it made me realise that this wasn't simple, because at Pugin's valuation this transaction would require about £25m/£26m in inheritance taxes, and Nephew Tom doesn't have that cash.

In which case, fair enough! Makes more sense, maybe should have been in your OP 😀

Edited by hogesar

How do we know that Tom Smith wouldn't be more willing to sell the club? We've heard nothing from him about his plans to carry on and what his strategy is. Call it a hunch, but I get the feeling that he will look to sell the club when he inherits it. I just hope he does a better job of picking a new owner than Dave Whelans son did at Wigan. 

If i was him, being a fan without money to throw at the thing and without the ability to make any money either  I would think sod the hassle, I'll sell the club, make a bit of money and carry on as a fan instead. 

Wonder if Tom reads this forum, he might be thinking that he has some ideas etc, but if the fans have already written him off why should he bother.........

As another thread title said "be careful what you wish for!"

When Tom inherits he will have a team to do the football matters, similar to how its run now im sure. 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He isn't a billionaire furriner hinvestor so he can't be a bad choice.

After all, every decision Delia and MJW have made since they bought the club has been spot on.

Edited by Iwans Big Toe

12 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

After all, every decision Delia and MJW have made since they bought the club has been spot on.

I think that's overstating it just a bit, but essentially I agree with you. The vast majority of decisions they have got right. It's good to see that acknowledged.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I don't think it's healthy to start thread after thread that is aimed at trying to keep the agenda of "things need to change" always on the go.

But this isn't a things NEED to change, this is a what happens when things DO change, which they will one day. I don't get the issue with discussing that. 

I’m just so glad and thrilled I have to watch my football team lose every week snd become a National laughing stock whenever we play at the top level just to ensure Delia can pass her toy (sorry the toy she is “custodian of” for the fans) onto her precious nephew. Will be a massive consolation to my 8 year old son who continues to fight the good fight despite his mates ripping the p**s out of him every week as we lose yet again. 

Edited by Jim Smith

8 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Can you imagine Nepotism Tom running the club.

the thought terrifies me, you don’t even hear from him let alone run the club.

he has zero capability to run a football club absolutely zero

I’d love to know what he’s actually doing at the club. They are keeping his role very low profile.