Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Same old issues - soft touch city

Got back from Liverpool late last night (in time to see AJ outclassed unfortunately). 

We have the same old issues we have every time in the Pl and I'm not just talking about some of our team, more on that later.

Without trying to sound too bitter we are a complete soft touch for officials and other teams sneaky little tactics. Other than DF losing his hair over some of the decisions the rest of the team just appear to bend over and take it, with a 'happy to be here attitude'.

Some examples: Our free kick which Normann blasts over:- The ref, not wishing to upset anyone, marks the spot further back than the foul actually occurred, stands behind the ball then chats to some of our players over it (non of which appear to be particularly remonstrating about the foul). During this chat one of the Everton team picks up the ball and places it another 3-4 meters away from there goal, behind the ref. The ref looks for the ball, walks back to it the remarks the spot and none of our lot do a thing about it. Surely someone must have seen it? the free kick is therefore taken much further back. Later on Everton have a free kick, the ref jogs over and marks the spot 2-3 meters nearer our goal. None of our lot do a thing about it.

The second yellow card:- clear hand ball stopping the cross. No unity in appeal from our team and whilst the ref is walking over trying to work out how to not give a card, Pickford cleverly pretends he is injured and falls over. This gives the ref the perfect opportunity to pretend he is now side tracked by the concerning situation involving the England keeper and thus allowing sufficient time to just give a stern waring and a Paddington bear stare in lieu of the deserved card. 

Following on from that free kick/no yellow-red card situation the ball 'disappears' and hardly anyone kicks off about it. 

The penalty: enough said, be surprised if it was the other way round but from our point it looked a clear dive.

Time wasting: almost no control from the ref over this which commenced at the start of the second half. The referee have a tactic here where they ignore the time wasting by firstly turning their back to the offending goalie for long enough or initially ignore snail like sub changes until opposition fans make a racket or they start doing important things like engaging in conversation with random players from the winning side. All aspects were aptly demonstrated yesterday.

After their second goal: their player picks up the ball from the centre spot in front of our whole team, then is aloud to walk away with it to the dug out and his manager and no one rugby tackle him or gives him a slap for his deliberate time wasting. The ref obviously doesn't see this!

The disparity in professional foul decisions: You get the message, too many not given for us etc etc etc.

Throw ins; any 50/50 was given against us.

I said many moons ago that I do not believe the officials are corrupt or deliberately set out to show favouritism. However, every team we have played this season (other than Watford) will be in the Pl next and will be officiated again by the same referees etc. There is an unconscious bias as a result. There always has been except years ago it was far more 'in your face.' 

The point I'm making is that we appear to be able to do sod all about it despite DF highlighting certain points afterwards. However, the team, the captain, the club and the manager needs to get a bit of the old man utd/Ferguson about it and start picking fights and sticking up for each other, making it quite clear they are not happy and it will be highlighted.

Everton were there for the taking yesterday, the crowd was nervous, players missing and yet again we failed in so many aspects. Our midfield other than hamstring hamstrung Normann, is too lightweight and PLM needs to be far more mobile. We are going down without punch being thrown.

Frickin annoyed............

Mind you, the roads were clear on the return journey

• Like 1

"Paddington Bear stare" 🤣

I loved that - thank you!

Yes, agree with everything you outlined above.

We are too nice and look more like a lower league team arriving for their big day out in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. 

Does it emenate from the paternal, kindly and genial Farke? Does it come from building a squad of 'good characters' and a no d*ckhead policy? Does it come from the culture of the region - gentle, sleepy and bucolic? I genuinely don't know.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary

5 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

like a lower league time arriving for their big day out in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. 

100% this in a nut shell

Excuse my terrible grammar in the original post. Written once and not checked

Edited by East Rider